Jeff Buckley 10 years dead today. . . (1 Viewer)

I can still clearly remember being told that. Or at least being told he was missing.

My old man heard it somehow, and the name rang a bell with him, so he gave me a ring.
It felt like someone punched me in the stomach. He wanted to have a bit of a chat after, and I just couldn't really.

i remember knowing very little about Jeff Buckley at the time but i remember clearly Dave Fanning talked to a correspondant out in America on "Jeff Watch" until his body turned up and loving the stuff he played that week.

Watched a documentary on Buckley on Channel 6 this morning before work. Brilliant, talking to Matt Johnson and his bandmates. Fair play to channel 6, 9am this was.|..|

Seriously?

This could well mean the end of a once beautiful friendship.

i saw him play in 1994 and grace was my fave record of that year. guilty pleasure maybe. i still love that album. i hate that he stands for the buy 3 cd a year know nothing about music brigade these days.

Not all that into Grace myself but Sketches and the expanded Live at Sin E thing are deadly.. I think his next couple of albums would've been a lot more interesting, he seemed to be following some pretty weird tangents on the Sketches demos.

weird - i read the Pitchfork review of his latest best-of this morning and never even clued in about the 10yr anniversary.

Grace, Live at Sin-e and Sketches remind me of a blissful, more innocent time.

Not all that into Grace myself but Sketches and the expanded Live at Sin E thing are deadly.. I think his next couple of albums would've been a lot more interesting, he seemed to be following some pretty weird tangents on the Sketches demos.
theres some decent tracks on scetches alright.

yeah, apparently he was in league with a guy from Shudder to Think at some point near the end? or else just heavily influenced by them (my memory is fading, i just read this on the Pitchfork today) and i guess that explains his departure from the Grace sound.

I met The Hansard, just as he was starting his Higher Diploma in wankology.

I always respected the fact he wanted the formal qualification, he wanted to go up against the best, to hone his craft.
He was never afraid to try new things, to get right out there on the edge.

no disrespect to the guy or anything, but i was never a fan. i have a serious hatred of people who use a lot of vibrato in their voice. that cunt from muse is a prime example. still though, doesn't seem like 10 years ago!

I remember this dude I know telling me he was dead, but his account went like this:

"...and then he walked into the mississippi playing his guitar and singing 'Hallelujah' and he drowned... it was suicide."

and I thought - "what an idiot." about both the teller and, if the story were true, about Buckley.

But yeah, I love Grace. Sketches has some great stuff on it too, but it's a bit tacky in parts. I love his voice - especially in "the way young lovers do" - fucking amazing shit. It's a shame he went swimming in his clothes after a few beers and a full lunch in a river well known for having a powerful undertow. Awfully silly really.

Oh and Matt Johnson is a kick ass drummer.

i saw him play in 1994 and grace was my fave record of that year. guilty pleasure maybe. i still love that album. i hate that he stands for the buy 3 cd a year know nothing about music brigade these days.

yes, remember that gig. It was in the summer, around August.
Grace is deadly.

Sketches... was the first album reviewed in Analogue Bubblebath.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back