Jaysus cycling! (10 Viewers)

Second cycle to work of the year yesterday. 28k round trip. Through phoenix Park. Lovely. Gotta do this more often.

Biked the Mullingar to Athlone cycleway yesterday. This is an old rail line that was closed sometime in the 60s I think. There is a nice smooth surface on it which is wide enough for a car and there is still a track to one side of it. Also it is very much on the flat scince that is how railline was built. At times it is raised over the surounding countryside and others there is an earth bank to each side overgrown with trees and bushes. Anyway this thing is very fast to ride on and even more so if you get involved with a few "catch me ups" with other riders. A bit like driveing a train except your on a bike. Lots of other people us it too includeing walkers and runners or people with small children on small bikes.
I left Mullingar at about 10:40 and was in Moate at 12:20 and then Athlone at 1:30 probarbly spent half an hour in Moate and a couple or few in Athlone. I missed the six o clock from Mullingar on the way back by 20 mins or so.
It was handy to get to as the Sligo/Dublin rail line is the nearest one to me. Probarbly I could have even got away without buying a ticket scince there are no turnstyles at mullingar station although they do have ticket inspsectors at some points on that line. Anyway I recomend this cycleway.

Fair play. Its very rewarding. I couldn't be fucked about races/fundraisers/events. I have that greenway on my to-do list though. My next target is to do the full 280km of my week on the bike. not consistently, just once. I'm lucky enough to have a train I can hop that cuts out 18km a day if like. While i don't give afuck about races I do find that If I am passing other cyclists going home, i get home way quicker than the solo version..

From Mullingar you could take the canal into Dublin too although it is a bit of a distance. They have been putting in a track way along the canal but I dont think it is complete yet so you might get stuck in one or two spots or have to go on rough ground. The rail line pretty much follows the canal from there so it's posible to hop on and off the train aswell for a bit. It would be easy to camp along the canal also but not so much along the cycleway. I might use the cycleway to get to Galway sometime takeing the train from Athlone.

While I agree with everything here,

you'd need to driving a truck to take a picture like that.

I stay off those cycle paths that are at path level sometimes. They don't get cleaned with the same frequency as the roads and, while they probably don't accrue the same levels of dirt and debris as the road, there are certain stretches where I feel I'd have less chance of puncturing on the road. Such as the cycle lane in that photo.

As regards that picture, the best thing about it is that it pissed off the person who was pissed off enough to make it. The cyclist is breaking no laws. Nor is the cyclist wearing lycra, that I can tell. Looks more like a tight tracksuit and a raincoat to me.

And, given the traffic calming measures on that road, it's likely in a very built-up area with the possibility of a school nearby. If some cunt wants to go faster on that road, fuck them anyway. Irresponsible pricks.

I can't remember which ones, but I think some cycle paths are compulsory,some are suggested. More often than not, id take a road over cycle path any day of the week.

I remember raging when they repaved the Phoenix Park but only repaved the centre of the road, leaving the cycle path bits at the side still in an absolute wreck.

time enough to post my roadsign again.

roadsighnbig.png

Another 45k on saturday and the last warm up before the 50k event is on tonight. Not happy about this weather though. If this shitty cold and wet continues I'll try to get out of it somehow.
We went to the cycle superstore in Tallaght at the weekend. I'm going to try and get narrower tyres on my hybrid thing. I got an nice new helmet. So I don't have to wear the gaudy half eaten by dog one I have been wearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back