Jaysus cycling! (4 Viewers)

i nearly crashed the car last night because of two cyclists coming the other way down the road with those stupid tiny fastblinkylights on the front of their bikes. i couldn't see the bikes or the riders in the dark, just two blinky lights chasing each other. i got distracted for a couple of seconds trying to figure out what i was seeing and didn't notice the car in front of me had stopped.... so yeah anyway you should either use proper lights or use none at all because it's safer for me.
This is a fairly legitimate complaint. Blinky lights are not necessary at the front of your bike.

the design of many irish bike lanes actually make cycling more dangerous.

btw, i do not agree with mandatory helmets at all; such a law has made the melbourne bike scheme (in a city roughly comparable to dublin) a failure.

I look on them as insurance you don't need for something that will likely never happen.

Again, each to their own, but by this rationale everyone that drives a car should wear one. Those fuckers are always crashing into each other.

I have an airbag. And a seatbelt. And a whole steel outer shell designed to crumple in such away that protects me. In fact I have crashed a car at around 25mph and just walked out of it as if I'd parked it.

I have an airbag. And a seatbelt. And a whole steel outer shell designed to crumple in such away that protects me. In fact I have crashed a car at around 25mph and just walked out of it as if I'd parked it.

And yet there's what? two hundred a year dying in these cocoons of safety?

i nearly crashed the car last night because of two cyclists coming the other way down the road with those stupid tiny fastblinkylights on the front of their bikes. i couldn't see the bikes or the riders in the dark, just two blinky lights chasing each other. i got distracted for a couple of seconds trying to figure out what i was seeing and didn't notice the car in front of me had stopped.... so yeah anyway you should either use proper lights or use none at all because it's safer for me.

would be safer for all of us if you stayed off the roads though

And yet there's what? two hundred a year dying in these cocoons of safety?

Its not really about how many. Its more like how many crashes you can survive in a car if you aren't driving like an eijit or ploughed into by one. I mean the point of the argument is that i don't want any cyclist to split their head open if i'm so unlucky to hit them, not 'well cars are worse/better'. maybe cars are worse but it doesn't devalue my point other than I could just say, yes, cars are worse. I cant cover 20,000 miles a year on a bike. you could put a helmet on your head and it would lessen your chances of death/injury etc.

afaik, there is a greater absolute benefit if all drivers wore helmets in cars. but a much lower relative benefit.

i assume a measure along the lines of 'chance of fatality/injury per km travelled' is available on the internet somewhere.

afaik, there is a greater absolute benefit if all drivers wore helmets in cars. but a much lower relative benefit.

I need the percentage of how much safer I supposedly am with a stupid piece of plastic on my head that I have never needed in 30 years of biking.

I think the important thing here is that not wearing a helmet isn't going to directly affect anyone else other than the owner of the head not wearing it.

Not really comparable though, is it?
If I knew I was definitely going to get in a car crash, I'd never get into a car. Fuck seat belts.
I've been in God knows how many bicycle accidents down the years. Have had stitches, surgery, the lot. Scars from head to toe, literally.
I will come off my bike again, it's in the post.
But my life is not materially different having never worn a helmet.
Can't say that for a seat belt, I'd wager.
If I'd worn shoulder pads I mightn't have a piece of metal holding my clavicle together though. I'm still not going to wear them though.

I'd love to know by what percentage I'm safer wearing a helmet. My guess is the figure is negligible.

I think the important thing here is that not wearing a helmet isn't going to directly affect anyone else other than the owner of the head not wearing it.

Exactly. And this owner is just fine without people moralising his decisions and saying they know what's best for him.

I don't drive. I'm safer than all of you that do. You don't see me telling you all to stay out of cars though.

Not really comparable though, is it?
If I knew I was definitely going to get in a car crash, I'd never get into a car. Fuck seat belts.
I've been in God knows how many bicycle accidents down the years. Have had stitches, surgery, the lot. Scars from head to toe, literally.
I will come off my bike again, it's in the post.
But my life is not materially different having never worn a helmet.
Can't say that for a seat belt, I'd wager.
If I'd worn shoulder pads I mightn't have a piece of metal holding my clavicle together though. I'm still not going to wear them though.

I'd love to know by what percentage I'm safer wearing a helmet. My guess is the figure is negligible.

It sounds like you aim your bike at the road/wall. I do about 2-3000 km a year and have come off once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back