Jaysus cycling! (16 Viewers)

Helen Puz Finds Bicycle She Lost Over 50 Years Ago Swallowed In Tree (VIDEO)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...-by-tree_n_2403380.html?utm_hp_ref=weird-news

s-TREE-SWALLOWS-BIKE-large.jpg

Helen Puz lost this bike more than 50 years ago only to discover it recently swallowed up by a tree. Charlie Brown had his kite-eating tree, but Helen Puz had an even more evil nemesis: A tree that swallowed her bike. Even worse: She didn't realize what happened for more than 50 years.

Puz, now 99, received the bike in 1954 as a gift from a member of her community in Vashon Island, Wash., in part, because she had been recently widowed. “People were very sympathetic and generous,” Puz said, according to ABC News. “We were given a girl’s bike and my 8-year-old son Don seemed the natural one to ride it.” But little Don felt riding a girl's bike cramped his style so he, in the way little boys do, conveniently "lost" the bike.

Or so the Puz family thought, until recently when Helen Puz read in the local newspaper about a bike that had been "swallowed up" in a tree and was now stuck in the trunk five feet off the ground, according to Discover Washington State. Don and Helen Puz visited the tree -- located 50 feet off of the Vashon Highway -- and confirmed the bike was indeed the one that Don lost many years ago, Geobeats reported.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Madness.

I've taken a few tumbles of the bike down the years, but after a fall with the wee fella with me just before christmas I'm all of a sudden really nervous when cornering. Like, cycling along (...la la la la la...) go around a corner (...oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit...) straighten up (...la la la la la...). It happens on bends that aren't particularly tight. Don't even have to have the kid with me. It's annoying.

It takes time to get back in the swing of it, just keep at it and keep pushing yourself a little bit each time and you'll get there. Visualising yourself making each corner without incident helps a lot. Oh and whatever you do don't worry about it.

Came off a motorbike on a corner that had been effected by flood a few years ago and i'm still nervous on corners in the wet. I have just resigned to the fact that i'm just going to be like this from now on and i'm getting on grand with it. Basically dont let it get you down after a while the fear will pass.

That video has made my day. Absolutely fucking awesome.

I was waiting to cross the footbridge on my bike near Donnybrook a few weeks ago while an old gent came across. "Grand morning for the bike", says he. "Lovely morning alright", I replied. "Sure tis the only way to travel", he said, smiling approvingly, and went on his way. He's not wrong.

rainbike.jpg

I need some advice about buying some Rain Gear (in Dublin).
So before heading down Capel St and buying first thing I see, I wouldn't mind some pointers.
What should I be looking to pay for jacket and Pants?
Should I get 'breathable' rain gear? If so how can I tell?
Best place in Dublin to get said gear?

Thanks a million, people.

Pay as much as you can afford basically. I spent over two hundred on a jacket and waterproof trousers from berghaus three or more years back,both are still going strong and haven't let me down even in the worst of weather. I also have a north face jacket which is fine in light to moderate showers but anything heavier and it soon starts letting water in.
Most breathable clothing will be advertised as such and is highly recommended.
Try millets. Tk maxx could be worth a look as well.

TK Maxx for some Helly Hanson gear. My jacket was fifty in there and it's waterproof and breathable. That's properly waterproof and breathable too..

Keep in mind what you wear under breathable raingear. Just because your jacket is breathable,doesn't mean everything underneath will make you feel all non sweaty and comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back