Jaysus cycling! (5 Viewers)

One thing I did like about JV was how he engaged on The Clinic, that forum for whackos and conspiracy theorists (incidentally, those are part of the reason I went off cycling - I'm all for outing and pursuing dopers, but those crackpots are so ridiculous that they actually play into the hands of the dopers). I used to be on there quite a bit 5 or so years back. JV gave very detailed insight into a lot of stuff to do with training, power output, etc. It might have been part of his 'Mr. Clean' persona with the super-clean Garmin team, but he eventually backed off.

My first memory of him was the bee sting during a tour de france when he was riding for (I think) Ag2r. His eye swelled up and he looked for a medical exemption for a cortisone injection. He was refused permission and had to withdraw from the race. I remember feeling sorry for him. The irony of that whole situation being, he was probably all juiced up on every bit of juice known to man to be, in the first case, riding the tour, and the second, riding for that team.

Other than that he always came across as utterly unlikeable. I did like some things he did - like pushing a crowdfund to keep his team alive when garmin pulled out. I was going to contribute. I registered saying I would, and I fully intended to. But then I remembered how much I hate JV and how I don't want to be part of, or contribute to, anything to do with him.

I didn't know that story about Trent Lowe, but I'm not surprised.

ok - that's pretty informative. I just about remember Trent Lowe...

Dammit. What Lowe is saying here about JV align quite closely to the things that LA has mentioned.

I think one of LA's problem with JV is the team is horrible for neo-pros / developing riders. It's OK for the likes of Rigo etc, but JV DNGAF about looking after developing younger guys.

The other thing he seems to be saying is JV isn't really interested in running a cycling team, he's interested in promoting himself, and he does lots of things to that end, including the WT team. But the team is not the focus, nor is getting riders into a place they can win races; everything is focused on his own self promotion.

Epic Giro stage today.
at the end of the decade if there are many better grand tour stages, we will have done well.
only wonderful weather in the high Alps for late October even made the stage possible.
then it had a bit of everything with loads of twist and turns - brutal route,
very unpredictable form, dodgy jackets and team tactics that we can't judge yet.
basically just great bike racing.

Giro 2020 stage 18 will no doubt have hooked some poor young suckers to bike racing for life.

the Vuelta stage 3 afterwards was only a nice bonus in comparison.

Vaughters' openness twenty years ago was rare so we all seem to have similar first
impressions of him.
unfortunately sometimes I've been way too trusting of people I should have given up on -
simply because they were good to me a longtime ago.

Epic Giro stage today.
at the end of the decade if there are many better grand tour stages, we will have done well.
only wonderful weather in the high Alps for late October even made the stage possible.
then it had a bit of everything with loads of twist and turns - brutal route,
very unpredictable form, dodgy jackets and team tactics that we can't judge yet.
basically just great bike racing.

Giro 2020 stage 18 will no doubt have hooked some poor young suckers to bike racing for life.

the Vuelta stage 3 afterwards was only a nice bonus in comparison.

Vaughters' openness twenty years ago was rare so we all seem to have similar first
impressions of him.
unfortunately sometimes I've been way too trusting of people I should have given up on -
simply because they were good to me a longtime ago.
didn't see the Giro stage but listened to the cycling podcast this morning where they were going on about it.

What a very unusual top 3 though. Kelderman I kind of get. But Hart and Hindley. Really?

Would be possible to separate the talk of competitive cycling from the general cycling. Like two threads.

yeah - people who actually ride bikes aren't getting a look in 'cause of the likes of me.
actually mostly because of me.

but while I'm here...
stage 19 of the Giro has been curtailed today because of rider protest.
it's was a very long, very flat, classic length job to Asti in south Piedemonte.

so it hasn't started yet.

the last few stages took the winners 6 hours each so fair enough

OK - I'll use some will power and stop posting here.

this is really only a recent problem though -
before we always used to have separate pro racing threads to discuss cycling
and the pro scene rarely came up for discussion in recent years.

page 198 of this thread from early September 2020 is where the pro racing
takeover only really begins.
before that this wasn't really a problem but after that real cyclist's talk is very absent.

no fuckin way am i trawling back through 204 pages to separate your riding antics from the professionals

I wouldn't be suggesting that, just going forward like. No harm to the racing fans either I just think it's two very different subjects

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back