JANELLE MONAE at Tripod - 19th Dec (1 Viewer)

Deaglan

Website
www.goodluckski.com
Genre-bending pop/soul phenomenon JANELLE MONAE will play her debut Irish headliner this December at TRIPOD.

Following her rapturously received show at this year’s Electric Picnic, the ground-breaking singer will bring her stunning live show to Dublin’s TRIPOD for one night only on Sunday 19th December.

**Tickets go on sale this Friday 1st Oct at 9am**

Monae’s debut album “The ArchAndroid” is out now.

POD presents
JANELLE MONÁE

Sunday 19th December 2010
Tripod – Harcourt St – Dublin 2.
Doors – 7:30pm

Tickets €28 & €32 (inc. booking fee) available from Ticketmaster, City Discs, and usual outlets. www.ticketmaster.ie
www.myspace.com/janellemonae
www.jmonae.com

JANELLE MONÁE REVEALS GENRE-BENDING DEBUT ALBUM “THE ARCHANDROID”
“The ArchAndroid” is an “EMOTION PICTURE” brought to you by Janelle Monáe and the Mad Minds of the Wondaland Arts Society. The star-studded featured cast includes the legendary Big Boi of OutKast, renowned poet Saul Williams, psychedelic dance-punk troupe Of Montreal, punk prophets Deep Cotton, and the Wondaland Arch Orchestra.
The album was recorded at Wondaland Studios in Atlanta, but written all over the world, including but not limited to Moscow, Prague, Istanbul, Berlin, Amsterdam, New York, and the Palace of the Dogs. “The ArchAndroid” was inspired not only by the energy of these places, but by such revolutionary musicians and artistic visionaries as Salvador Dalí, Walt Disney, OutKast, Stevie Wonder, Octavia Butler, David Bowie, Andy Warhol, and John Williams. The album was Executive Produced by Nate Wonder, Chuck Lightning, Janelle Monáe, and Sean “Diddy” Combs, with Co-Executive Production from Big Boi of OutKast.

A ground-breaking, genre-blurring singer, songwriter, producer, and performer, Monáe’s inventive style melds a refined pop sensibility with an extraordinary postmodern mash-up of soul, funk, and rock ‘n’ roll. Like Sly Stone, Prince, and OutKast, Monáe proves that innovative music can jam, while simultaneously inventing new concepts and sounds. “The ArchAndroid” follows the Grammy Award-nominated artist’s two acclaimed EPs, 2008’s “METROPOLIS: THE CHASE SUITE (SPECIAL EDITION)” and “METROPOLIS: SUITE I OF IV,” both of which received extensive critical praise upon their initial releases.

Janelle Monáe is a true 21st Century musical phenomenon, earning widespread acclamation for her compelling cybersoul sound. The Atlanta-based artist – who first garnered national attention for her collaborations with Big Boi on OutKast’s “IDLEWILD” – has been profiled in a wide range of national publications, including Vogue, GQ, SPIN, Nylon, PAPER, Essence, and the New York Times.
“A very different kind of diva,” declared Vogue. “Monáe creates this futuristic world of hers by synthesizing past inspirations: the operatic pop and hornlike sharpness of Shirley Bassey, the energetic funk of James Brown, and the breezy rock and soul of OutKast,” said Creative Loafing. “‘It’s been awhile since I felt so fully enraptured and bemused and awed as I did when she was on stage,” proclaimed Paste, while Vibe noted “Monáe’s upcoming album is poised to bring an eclectic, urbane feel to today’s R&B.” “Janelle Monáe is honing her completely individual skills as a very exciting solo artist,” said the UK’s Blag, “not only in sound but very much in style.”
Monáe has also drawn accolades from fellow artists across the musical spectrum. “What I love about Janelle is that she has a magical ability to bring folks together,” says Big Boi, while his partner in OutKast, Andre “3000” Benjamin declares, “Ms. Monáe has one of the most enchanting voices of our generation. She’s a living, singing babydoll. Darling… just darling. Ha.”

Legendary artist Prince hails Janelle, saying, “She is so smart.” “Janelle Monáe is one of the most important signings of my career,” proclaims Sean “Diddy” Combs. “She is a true visionary, with an original sound and a mesmerizing presence. I can’t wait to watch the future unfold for Janelle.”

Maybe she won't actually be thanking an invisible brass band this time :/

I'm still unconvinced by the album and live show. I think she could be great if she got a chance but she's swamped under too much production/playback and the like...

imma gonna go to this anyway

dont get the myself either. she was entertaining alright at EP but didn't leave a distinct impression on me.

Legendary artist Prince hails Janelle, saying, “She is so smart.” “Janelle Monáe is one of the most important signings of my career,” proclaims Sean “Diddy” Combs. “She is a true visionary, with an original sound and a mesmerizing presence. I can’t wait to watch the future unfold for Janelle.”

dont get the myself either. she was entertaining alright at EP but didn't leave a distinct impression on me.

i suspect a lot of this hype might be to do with p-diddy bankrolling her. especially when they used this many people to put together 18 tunes.

wikipedia said:
Young Pete Alexander – drums, string arrangements
Larry Anthony – mastering
K. Barnes – composer
Kevin Barnes – synthesizer, drums, guitar (bass), keyboards, vocals, vocals (bckgr), producer, drum programming
Terrence Brown – organ, piano
Christopher Carmouche – mixing
Jessee Clarkson – wardrobe
Control Z – engineer, mastering, mixing
Deep Cotton – vocals (bckgr)
DJ Cutmaster Swiff – scratching, cut
Nworb Ecnerret – piano
Sknuks Eht – vocals
Eánom Ellenaj – composer, vocals
Rednow "Tekcor" Etan – arranger, composer
Jason Freeman – horn arrangements
Jerry Freeman – horn arrangements
Jeff Gillies – wardrobe
Lorenz Hart – composer
Hornz Unlimited – horn
Dr. Nathaniel Irvin III – arranger, composer
Roman GianArthur – percussion, piano, arranger, composer, conductor, vocals (bckgr), producer, engineer, vocal arrangement, string arrangements, mixing
Charles Joseph II – arranger, composer
Gninthgil Kcuc – composer
Damien Lewis – engineer, editing
Chuck Lightning – arranger, vocals (bckgr), producer
Felicia Long – flute
Lord Mitchell A. "MitchOW!ski" Martian – mastering, mixing
Janelle Monáe – arranger, composer, vocals, vocals (bckgr), producer
The Neon Valley St. Anthony Choir – vocals (bckgr)
The Neon Valley Street Chancel Choir – vocals (bckgr)
Monroe Nervine – dulcimer, clarinet, mandolin, bassoon, harp, oboe
Tang Nivri – percussion
Kyle O'Brien – French horn
Rekrap Odnillek – guitar
Alexander Page – violin, viola
Kelindo Parker – arranger, ukulele, guitar, guitar (rhythm), vocal arrangement, soloist
Kellis Parker Jr. – composer
Antwan "Big Boi" Patton – composer, vocals (bckgr)
Richard Rodgers – composer
Grace Shim – cello
Rekrap Sillek – guitar arrangements
Skinks – vocals (bckgr)
The Skunks – vocals (bckgr)
Dashill "Sunnovah" Smith – trumpet, soloist
Kelly Sparker – brass
Max Stellings – liner notes
Phil Tan – editing, mixing
Thesaurus Rex – harp
Carolyn Tracey – package production
Chad Weatherford – costume design
Saul Williams – composer, vocals
Wolfmaster Z – drums, guitar (bass), guitar (rhythm), theremin, tubular bells, bass marimba
The Wondaland ArchOrchestra – strings
Wondaland String Ensemble – strings
Nate "Rocket" Wonder – organ, guitar (acoustic), bass, guitar, percussion, arranger, conductor, drums, guitar (bass), guitar (electric), keyboards, vocals, vocals (bckgr), producer, mellotron, vibraphone, horn arrangements, string arrangements, editing, mixing, Hammond B3
Nathan Yelurvin – percussion, glockenspiel, harp, mellotron, woodwind
Andrew Zaeh – photography

this is it.

Any individuality she has is buried beneath a million other people.

still though, it's good that pop music is doing stuff like this

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

or maybe it's not. maybe it's a very VERY bad thing. I'm so confused

for: she has a nice voice and can dance a bit and catchy tunes*

against: the army of money* that brings her to my attentions.

*she has one writing credit on the album basically. ONE.

i might give the album a spin tonight, though i was supposed to learn spanish.

*she has one writing credit on the album basically. ONE.

I don't know why I feel the need to defend her considering I have so many issues with the album buuuuut

she's got a co-writing credit on every single song except one. Now we all know how slippery a concept 'co-writing' is in pop music so I have no idea of her real impact on it but it would be nice if she did a fair bit. Maybe it should be considered a group effort as all the songs seem to have the same song-writing team.

For what it's worth my litmus test for these things is always Whenthepawn by Fiona Apple which, in her words, should have been by 'Fiona Apple and Jon Brion' as she wrote all the songs* and played piano he basically added all the instrumentation.

*words, melodies, song structure and rhythms is as close as I can get to defining this.

so 8.5 / 10 on pitchfork. number 2 on the nme cool list, all over the pop and grown up papers, this is approaching complete critical consensus!

Is Puff Daddy the worlds greatest businessman??

Er wait, was that one of those in-joke thumped references youz guyz love so much?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back