It Makes You Want To Spit (2 Viewers)

seanstress

Website
continue.to
IT MAKES YOU WANT TO SPIT

The Definitive Guide to Punk in N.Ireland

IT MAKES YOU WANT TO SPIT
celebrates the 25th anniversary of punk in Northern Ireland, the year that the saw the first releases from bands such as The Undertones and Stiff Little Fingers.

Written by local punk scenesters Sean O’Neill and Guy Trelford, the book is laid out in alphabetical format, and includes all the punk and new wave bands of the time, from Acme to the Zipps, along with the record labels and shops, radio presenters, fanzine writers, venues, and all the movers and shakers who helped create that vibrant scene. Each band’s history includes a full discography, along with photographs and memorabilia. Almost all bands have a minimum of a full page dedicated to them, while most features extend to at least three or four pages, and there are extensive pieces on the bands central to the scene, such as Rudi and The Outcasts, as well as the more internationally successful bands such as The Undertones and Stiff Little Fingers. Features also include local scenes in various parts of the province, such as Derry, Bangor, and Omagh, with personal contributions from some of the leading lights in those areas.
Many people involved in making music at the time, or writing about it in local fanzines, contribute their personal memories, with a foreword from former Acme member turned journalist Stuart Bailie, and significant contributions from journalists Gavin Martin, Henry McDonald and Carol Clerk, novelist Colin Bateman, Good Vibrations supremo Terri Hooley, radio presenters Johnny Hero, Dave Fanning, Davy Sims and John Peel, musicians such as Jake Burns, Henry Cluny, Brian Young, Greg Cowan, Jackie Hamilton and Paul Burgess, and bands who visited the North, including The Clash, The Stranglers, The Damned, Crass, the Lurkers, etc.

The book, 288 pages long, is presented in A4 format, on high quality silk finish paper, and contains hundreds of photographs of bands and fans, many previously unseen. It is being published by Dublin based record and music publishing company Reekus.

Further information:

Elvera Butler at Reekus: 00-353-1-667854

[email protected]

Yeah this should be good, the book launch is this Thursday in the Empire in Belfast. Shame Acadamy (ex-Outcasts, Rudi, Stalag 17) and Ruefrex (late 70s/early 80s North Belfast punk band) will be playing, should be a fun gig!

Fuck I'd be very curious to see 'Shame Acadamy', is it Petesy Burns from Stalag 17 in them? They were a damn fine band. As well as the Outcasts.

Yeah Petesys drumming for them, Brian Young from Rudi does guitar, and I can never remember the name of the Outcasts guy. They're really good, they just play loads of old punk songs (including of course some Rudi etc. stuff) and its brilliant!

Sounds like a great night alright Cormac, just got sent an invite this morning from Elvera of Reekus Records for it. She said their releasing a cd next year of early Reekus releases with the 'Kaught on Kampus' ep on it(the first Cork punk e.p.). Hopefully the Poison Girls ep will be on it too.

I haven't heard the e.p since I was in school. Do you have the e.p. Conor? I can't remember the names of the tunes at all. I think it was 5 go down to the Sea did 'White Cortina'( I could be wrong), its Nun Attax on th ep. Anyone else here from Cork might have an idea.

seanstress said:
I haven't heard the e.p since I was in school. Do you have the e.p. Conor? I can't remember the names of the tunes at all. I think it was 5 go down to the Sea did 'White Cortina'( I could be wrong), its Nun Attax on th ep. Anyone else here from Cork might have an idea.

got it before i moved to england so that will tell ya, microdisney, mean features, nun attax and urban blitz, when microdisnet were getting big as an indie band i had visions of this being worth a fortune, instead its up in the loft with the other records i never listen to.

theres a radio documentary on cork punk / five go down to the sea/nun attax person donnelly at this link but i havent heard it as it would ake a year to download on my net connection
http://www.ucc.ie/ccr/gtmots.html

niall - it does have that white cortina song on it. mrrr money on the way soon, last one was alright, i like the columns best,

Well the book is a very satisfactory product. 280pages A4. They were selling them on the night for £20, which seems a tad pricy, until you realise what a nice piece of work it is. More details when I have read more of it.

*A lavishly tooled item*

Saw the book earlier in HMV. It looks fucking great, well done to Guy & Co for putting it together. I'll maybe buy it when I have more than 5p to my name!

As one of the authors of "It Makes You Want To Spit" I'd like to thank y'all for your encouraging comments. For those of you who made it to the launch gig - wasn't it one of the best punk nights ever?!!? For those of you who didn't make it, some good news - the publishers Reekus are hoping bring the bands (and the authors!) down to Dublin for another glorious punky party in the new year. For a gig / launch report check out the Reekus website - www.reekus.com
see y'all in Dublin
GT

The one thing I found strange in the book was the almost complete lack of women - I assume this reflects the lack of active females in the early NI punk scene (having noticed maybe 5 or 6 women in the bands given sections). However, there was a general lack of female voices in the book - I believe there was one section written by a woman. (It was also odd seeing quite a few pictures of some punk boy and girl which were then labelled something like 'Big Jack and friend'...)

If anything this shows how much the punk/hardcore scene has changed with women now playing a much more central role.

Yeah Mac, unfortunately there was a lack of female voices in the book. Yes the early scene was very much male dominated, although quite a few punkettes did hang out in the Harp & the Pound etc, but very few were actively involved in bands, fanzines etc. We found it nearly impossible to track down any of these female punks and of the ones we did find and ask to contribute, Carol Clerk was the only one who came across with an end product. But for all it's little flaws, you still gotta admit that's it's a damn fine book, don'tcha?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back