IT courses for non techies (1 Viewer)

Denny Oubidoux

Hangin round town
Supporter
Solutions
I took a notion this morning that I might go back to college and do some sort of IT thing that might make me some way employable. I did arts and then a library course and have been mainly working in libraries doing stuff you could teach a cat to do. Anyway, I've been looking at a few courses in DIT and I'm not sure whether I'd be able to get into or do them as I don't have a basic IT course or background in whatever sort of thing it is that tech people know about. One course that caught my eye is MSc in Computing (information and knowledge management), it lists a B.Sc as one of the basic requirements, other possibilities are relevant work experience or other relevant qualifications. I'd have to chance my arm with the second options but it says it offers opportunities for people from a range or disciplines such as engineering, business, construction, law so maybe it's not out of the question. the computery looking compulsory modules include Advanced Databases, Systems Architectures, Knowledge Management Tools and techniques, software project management, case studies in computing. Are any of these kind of things suitable for novices? I'd have to do some basic database preparation for a start. Are there other areas that someone from a non-technical background could reasonably expect to get in to and get work with? Thoughts and stuff welcome, i'm just throwing the idea around in me head, not sure what im at really.

Hi Shaney,

A friend of mine is doing a "Graduate diploma in I.T" in DCU. I asked him and he said he'd partly reccomend it. "If you're techie minded you'll probably find it handy enough and may even prefer something harder". If you like I can put you in touch with him.

if thats a bit easy / basic then maybe an MSc like the course you've mentioned is the level you should be looking at..

Not knowing the full syllabus of that MSc in Computing, it sounds to me like it won't involve any "hands-on" techy stuff so it wouldn't be much of a steep learning curve for a novice. I would guesstimate its focus is on managing IT environments (from a manager's perspective), how to write CFTs (call for tender) & other airey-fairey stuff. How easy it would be to get an IT management job afterwards with no experience, I'm not sure.

If you do want to get your hands dirty, I'd recommend to be on the look out for an introduction to programming type course, be it developing applications or programming databases. It certainly isn't a disservice focussing on C#, MS SQL or going down the Sharepoint (Microsoft's clunky CMS) development route as enterprises love Microsoft.

Shaney; I did that computing course in DIT. First two years is programming and then database management. If you want PM and i can give ye a call with more details... Typing it would take me hours

I started one of these courses 5 or 6 weeks ago anyway. It's a "conversion" course, this term covers programming (with java), databases, networks, computer architecture and discrete maths. Can't do the maths, network stuff seems mostly boring but otherwise i like it. I've noticed that as I meet people, friends and strangers, and tell them I'm studying again they're initially all interested and enthusiastic until they find out its computing and then they nearly all struggle to cover up the fact that they are suddenly completely disinterested and think its a vaguely contemptible subject to study. When they get it together to respond its always something like "oh yeah, well that's where the jobs are alright" as if to suggest that they know i'm not doing it because i'd be into that sort of thing. I thought this sort of stuff was cool now, with the internet and apps and stuff. Bigots!

I took a notion this morning that I might go back to college and do some sort of IT thing that might make me some way employable. I did arts and then a library course and have been mainly working in libraries doing stuff you could teach a cat to do. Anyway, I've been looking at a few courses in DIT and I'm not sure whether I'd be able to get into or do them as I don't have a basic IT course or background in whatever sort of thing it is that tech people know about. One course that caught my eye is MSc in Computing (information and knowledge management), it lists a B.Sc as one of the basic requirements, other possibilities are relevant work experience or other relevant qualifications. I'd have to chance my arm with the second options but it says it offers opportunities for people from a range or disciplines such as engineering, business, construction, law so maybe it's not out of the question. the computery looking compulsory modules include Advanced Databases, Systems Architectures, Knowledge Management Tools and techniques, software project management, case studies in computing. Are any of these kind of things suitable for novices? I'd have to do some basic database preparation for a start. Are there other areas that someone from a non-technical background could reasonably expect to get in to and get work with? Thoughts and stuff welcome, i'm just throwing the idea around in me head, not sure what im at really.

I started one of these courses 5 or 6 weeks ago anyway. It's a "conversion" course, this term covers programming (with java), databases, networks, computer architecture and discrete maths. Can't do the maths, network stuff seems mostly boring but otherwise i like it. I've noticed that as I meet people, friends and strangers, and tell them I'm studying again they're initially all interested and enthusiastic until they find out its computing and then they nearly all struggle to cover up the fact that they are suddenly completely disinterested and think its a vaguely contemptible subject to study. When they get it together to respond its always something like "oh yeah, well that's where the jobs are alright" as if to suggest that they know i'm not doing it because i'd be into that sort of thing. I thought this sort of stuff was cool now, with the internet and apps and stuff. Bigots!

Do the course that shows you where the Return key is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back