Is Trey Parker a genius? (1 Viewer)

Kermit McDermott

The evidence would suggest so.......

The Simpsons is a rotting corpse which South Park has left the way behind.
Cartman is the best cartoon character since Homer.
They get away with taking the piss out of everything.
Family guy is a pile of shit.

Watch all the episodes here
http://www.southparkstudios.com/

timmy.gif

i think i must be one of the few people who cant stand "south park". i found every episode i have ever seen to be incredibly purile, charmless, witless and lazy.

i do think "family guy" is brilliant though, really sharp, unpretentious and hilarious.

"the simpsons" is pure garbage now. been embarassingly bad for about ten years now. and the movie was almost unwatchably dreary.

This was a great episode.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

what was most amusing about that was all the south park fans who previously watched + enjoyed family guy suddenly "deciding" that they can't watch family guy anymore.

Good satire perhaps?

I think family guy kinda ran its course though. I liked the first few seasons but i can take it or leave it. I'm not a huge southpark fan either but some episodes are great.

what was most amusing about that was all the south park fans who previously watched + enjoyed family guy suddenly "deciding" that they can't watch family guy anymore.
Yeah! happened to a friend of mine, don't understand the reasoning; it's still the same show he enjoyed for years and it's getting better all the time

King of the Hill; most underrated show ever.

Good satire perhaps?

nah, i think it's a bit more than that on the part of some of the sp fans.
i will say that parody did capture what family guy is like when its at its worst, but fg has been using non-sequiturs, cut-aways and pop-culture references since the very first episode, and they've never pretended that the plot is anything more than a very rough springboard for the sake of making jokes (and considering its a comedy, a focus on making jokes isn't a bad thing these days).
the way some people carried on as if sp had lifted the veil from their eyes, and that "now i have seen the light, i just cant watch fg anymore" is ridiculous. it's a bitchy little parody, nothing more: why cant people make up their own minds?

I think family guy kinda ran its course though. I liked the first few seasons but i can take it or leave it. I'm not a huge southpark fan either but some episodes are great.

i think fg has been fairly consistent. series 4, 5 and 6 are generally just as good as 2 and 3. the rate of gags that hit, over miss, is about the same. episodes like "stewie loves lois", "8 simple rules for buying my teenage daughter" and "ptv" are all among fg's finest. the most recent episode on sidereel was a crock of shit though. i hope its just a rare miss and not the start of an overall drop in quality.

yeah, that was genuinely charming and crticially underrated, unlike the chuckle-free futurama.

Southpark can disappear up its own sanctimonious hole fairly regularly.
But it can be pretty good in parts too.

The thing I have to completely unreservedly give them credit for though is not backing down.
I've been in the US for a few years now. And 99% of the TV is utter shite. Its terrible. Its hard to describe its faux puritanical self reverential attitude.

The fact that stuff like Southpark, stuff that is going a long way out of its way to wind up and offend people that really do need winding up and offending, the fact that this is being broadcast in the US on a regular slot is a good thing.
If there is anything the US needs it needs some solid pisstaking of itself done from the inside.
In this respect Colbert Report, Southpark, Daily Show are important.

edit, since we seem to be talking up FG, FG does not set out to highlight the hypocrisy of the US. It might make oblique references towards that sort of thing, but that is not what its about.
King Of The Hill was slightly more interested in commenting on the American Ideal.

edit, since we seem to be talking up FG, FG does not set out to highlight the hypocrisy of the US. It might make oblique references towards that sort of thing, but that is not what its about.

theres a left-wing anti-conservative/republican bias in family guy, but again, they are more concerned with simple comedy than making statements.

has anyone here seen "robot chicken"? it sadly hasnt been shown or released on dvd over here, but its fucking brilliant, and any sp and/or fg fans i know who have seen it love it.

theres a left-wing anti-conservative/republican bias in family guy, but again, they are more concerned with simple comedy than making statements.

has anyone here seen "robot chicken"? it sadly hasnt been shown or released on dvd over here, but its fucking brilliant, and any sp and/or fg fans i know who have seen it love it.

Robot Chicken is great, it's the only reasn I would ever watch Bravo

oh so it does get shown in some way over here, deadly.
m night "what a twist!" shalyman is possibly my favourite character, along with the robot that humps washing machines.

i was worried it was going to be one of those gems like "strangers with candy" which remains totally unheard of over here, with the exeption of the extremely bland sub-par movie version which is unfortunately the only thing available. the series (especially the first two seasons) is possibly the best sitcom i have ever seen, totally unique and outragously funny.

No, I hated Family Guy way before that. It's irritating the way it try's soooo hard & worst of all, it's just not funny. I'm with Cartman on this one ....& most other issues. :)

We'll never agree on what's funny. Everyone has a different sense of humour with some common things to keep us all laughing. There's no such thing as a universal sense of humour which is a good thing. Except for the funniest joke ever told. But that'll kill you.

What does that have to do with South Park though?

I've been genuinely amazed by South Park sometimes. Randy Marsh just cracks me up every time. Unfortunately for FG, after a while you stop getting amazed by "RANDOM". Still funny though.

The SP v FG episode covered all this. SP is not the same as FG. They can't just be bunched together on the basis of toilet humour alone.
That South Park episode is a piss take, a parody. Why do people make so much of it? They're jokes, laugh.

Totally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back