Is thingsyouremissing dead? (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter MDR
  • Start date
  • Replies 31
  • Views 6K
  • Watchers 2
just some thoughts,
i think things you're missing is a god thing and it should not be stopped.

i think the stall should not be stopped.
i can't help with the stall, so i don't want to give pointers or anything, but thats the most visible part of it.

the distro is kinda just Ro doing it, we can give advice and that but maybe not do the actual putting in shops.

more articles.
i'm gonna write a few over the next while, and see if i can get people to contribute.

i'm also gonna update the resources at bit, i just got new price lists from a few places so i'll input those.

looking into the FMC stuff, we should definetetly join them. billy has been pushing for this for ages and i completely agree.

we should do a list of people who are in things.

any thoughts?

I'm giving up the distro, but can make myself available if people need advice. I think Egg had planned to keep the webite going, so people can submit resources/articles stuff if they want.

Stall can only be done if there are people available to do it. Unless there are volunteers to do it on an ongoing basis, it can't continue - you need one person responsible for stock and money, otherwise it gets messy.

Mumblin Deaf Ro said:
I'm giving up the distro, but can make myself available if people need advice. I think Egg had planned to keep the webite going, so people can submit resources/articles stuff if they want.

Stall can only be done if there are people available to do it. Unless there are volunteers to do it on an ongoing basis, it can't continue - you need one person responsible for stock and money, otherwise it gets messy.
Just a suggestion, would it not be possible to set up
some sort of online diary and people can fill in what dates they would
be available on that so that it's easier to keep track of when you need
people for the stall.
I've offered to do it loads of times but it was never really clear if you
had someone or if there was loads of people.

The problem with the stall is that lots of people say they'll help out but when it comes down to it it's the same people who do it 90% of the time (in particular it's the same people who actually bring it to/from venues as opposed to just doing it at a gig and it's the dragging it around that's the biggest pain in the arse). I wouldn't like to see the stall die either and when Richie first said that he wanted someone else to take over I considered doing it but it's alot of work for anyone to take on. There are so many cds on it now and people keep handing in new stuff all the time (a good thing, yes, but not if you've to sort them and carry them around). There are always suggestions that the stall be brought to more gigs but it's very rare that anyone will actually follow through and bring it around. In theory there are so many people whose bands have stuff on the stall that it shouldn't be hard to find volunteers to take it to as many gigs as it's wanted at but in practice this doesn't happen and if that doesn't change then the stall can't keep going.

Even if it was just at the ballroom that would be cool. Save people lugging it around too. Maybe there could be some kind of lockup with the venue and it could be left there indefinitly? At least we could advertise it that the stall would always be there and people could buy independant stuff that you might not get in the shops. I suppose you would never be short of people too if it was done this way. With a bit of foresight for big gigs elsewhere we could take a selection of music that would be relevent to the night that was on(i.e all the dance stuff on an electronic night etc.) so it wouldn't be so heavy.Just an idea. Anyway as I said I can always do the stall if I get a couple of days notice maybe all we need is a register of upcomming gigs on a spreadsheet or something and get people to fill their names in.Organisation is all...

The bands who have stuff on the stall should make themselves available to man it as well. It's in their interests to keep it going. And there's a lot of people in all of those bands to keep it going.

Maybe the Ballroom of Romance could set itself up as a label?

i think i've said this before on another thread or maybe it was at a meeting but anyway....

the real nuts and bolts of the stall is the organisation that goes on beyond the gigs - this is the accepting and maintaining of new and old stock, managing the money, getting the money to bands and compiling and posting stock & takings information. There's also the hardest part for me which was physically lugging the stuff around - believe me a rucksack full of cds is a heavy bastard after a night of pints :) A lot of people have helped out enormously with the gig side of the stall, which is and has always been really appreciated. But if anyone wants to really see the stall continue and take it over, they have to be aware that there's a whole lot besides selling cds at the odd gig.

the bottom line is - i'd love to see the stall continue, and i'd love for it to be at more gigs than the ballroom. The problem is, for it to keep going someone has to take responsibility for managing it - this includes what I mention above as well as coordinating with all the other helpful types who offer to man the stall on particular nights etc.

I don't know if it would be possible to share the responsibilites amongst a few people, say like a stall commitee. It might be more viable than 1 person running the whole show (i'm talking here about all the background organisation) but this in itself is more organisation and it would need to be well coordinated between the various people.

anyone out there who wants to do all this?

PS - i'm not offering myself up for this, i did my time on the bastard ;) ;) :)

billygannon said:
The bands who have stuff on the stall should make themselves available to man it as well. It's in their interests to keep it going. And there's a lot of people in all of those bands to keep it going.

Maybe the Ballroom of Romance could set itself up as a label?

(Takes cigar out of pinstripe suite jacket, chews end off and spits). Maybeeee..maybeee

I've been keeping schtum on this, mainly 'cos I've been debating with meself if there's any way at all I can continue (?) doing this...and, at this stage, I conclude that I can't.

So...does anyone want to take over the admin end of things, at least? I'm gonna give this til after the birthday ballroom, and if there're no takers then I'm gonna consider it closed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back