• Start date
  • Replies 31
  • Views 6K
  • Watchers 2

MDR

Did you get my email?
Website
www.myspace.com
I was talking to Conor about this last night. Is thingsyouremissing dead? It sorta feels like it. After all, what are we actually doing at the moment? We don't hold meetings and none of our initiatives seem to get very far for very long. Should we call it a day?

yar.
this isn't critical of anyone, just the articles and database on the website haven't been updated in quite a while, the zine and mail out are discontinued, the stall only makes the odd appearance at the ballroom...

i think it did its thing while it lasted but folk have sorta got tired of it or outgrown it or something.

the online radio and the equipment library are really the only current things I can think of but they don't really require the 'thingsyouremissing' banner so I say we may as well do the honourable thing and wrap it up.

Em...

Well, the site could be good. But the stall is a pain in the rear end to be honest.

I think we should call it a day. Or have a break. It's you, not me. Sorry, me, not you.

orbison5it.jpg

snap-apple said:
i think it did its thing while it lasted but folk have sorta got tired of it or outgrown it or something.
I was thinking about this while sitting on the jacks this morning
Maybe everyone has enough defeat in their lives without it?
I'll keep the site up anyway, there's some useful stuff on it. I'd love if someone would do me an article on getting a CD pressed with GZ, can't really remember the procedure myself. Conor?

I meant to do an article like that around the time I got my cd done and while the info was still in my head. I wonder has the procedure changed since they joined the EU - tax and all that?

Guys, can I just say, you can't just give up, after all that's been done. I know I'm not the most active when it comes to THiNGS, but I really, really think that it's been a hugely beneficial thing and it would be a crime to just chuck it away.

Why not just change its direction? Maybe try to turn it into something that's a bit easier to steer - maybe have a select group of five or six to make the decisions - and not get an argument from people on this board who aren't contributors - and make sure that those who DO benefit HAVE to contribute in some way, like with the equipment library. I'm not saying financially, necessarily, but in some way.

The problem as I see it has always been that it's a free-for-all and, though that's a fine idea in theory, in practice what's needed is some leadership. Personally, I'd be willing to put in the work to make it happen rather than let it fall away.

C'mon, there's lots to be really proud of!

Well, I did the stall for, I think, two nights (or maybe it was just one). And that wasn't easy... it's a heavy bag and having to walk around town with it isn't the easiest. So I have no idea how Richie does it so oftern. Declan tried doing it as well and had an even bigger problem!

The online radio station is still there, but Declan has taken it down. The Blackfort site is now sitting where Things Radio did and we might move the station to the Blackfort site.

So it's tough work... I think the site is well worth keeping and developing. But it's the whole inactivity side of stuff that makes you think if it's worth doing much more.

The equipment library... the site... they're worth keeping. Ah! I dunno.

Mumblin Deaf Ro said:
I meant to do an article like that around the time I got my cd done and while the info was still in my head. I wonder has the procedure changed since they joined the EU - tax and all that?
I'd say it's become much simpler - no farting around with customs now, and no duty to pay. Another side effect I'd say will be you can't avoid VAT anymore cos you pay it at source (i.e. you pay Czech VAT) - and, funny enough, it's slightly higher over there (22% instead of 21%)

Here, I think one of the main reasons for the inactivity is none of the core group of acts is doing that much musically right now apart from playing the odd gig (and some, notably us and Settler, are only playing very rarely).

i think we can all agree that the stall is a thankless task and has sorta grown to be a beast. i think it should be wrapped up. ditto the distro, again thankless and not sure what it achieved as the original aim was to setup nationwide distro - all ro ended up doing was extra legowrk in dublin for other folk.

so basically the radio, the articles and the equipment library (1 mic) are all that's currently useful. the resources and the zines on the site are out of date. I don't see the need in keeping the thingsyourmissing.com site running to be honest. the radio could just as easily be a blackfort.org radio seeing as its mostly the same folk involved in hosting and running it. the articles can be stuck into the appropriate forums on thumped and the equipment library can be run outside of the things banner. and this forum is depressing. i just think it's run its course y'know.

I say keep the site running.
As for the stall.. I kind of though it was pointless bringing all that stock to a gig when you might only sell one cd. So how about rotating the stock it or just bringing one of each item or bringing stock based on the gig it's going to.
One thing's for sure, there needs to be a merch stand at ALL gigs and i don't just mean a things stall (maybe getting off the point here).

And the site won't write itself.. anyone who does anything, write about it. Articles, articles, articles. We just did 3 dates in scotland with the corpo, maybe a tour diary would be worth reading.

I'd be sorry to see the stall go completely, hell I was sorry that the email list went!

Anthony said:
I'd be sorry to see the stall go completely, hell I was sorry that the email list went!
Eh... yep... I kinda stopped doing that for the last couple of months. It's fairly understandable why...

But I think I may as well get it up and running again in a couple of weeks.

things you missed...

ok ok ok ok ok , i know i've always been one of these sattelite f*ckers who just dips in form time to time and says something and then goes away, but any way. 2c.

1. things has definitley been short of energy recently.

2. some elements are no longer practical.

3. i suggest that all the folks have a meeting, and relate back to the original goals of things, and see what's worth salvaging. I wont be at this meeting. the only folks who are good at pointing this stuff in any practical direction are billy and egg. i suggest that billy and egg meet first and head the meeting....

you get what i'm saying anyways...just take a look back, see what has been achieved, see whats been sucking people dry and make a group decision, and hopefully the peer pressure will pull something out of it.

eye of the tiger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back