Is there an American food store in Dublin anywhere? (1 Viewer)

Supermarket grub was more expensive than eating out when I lived there.

This is very true. If you're just one person its cheaper to eat out than cook for yourself. I found myself eating out or getting take-out all the time.

I think thats one of the causes of the obesity problem in the US - its so damn expensive to buy ingredients it puts you off making your own home cooked meals. So you end up eating pre-packed meals, getting take-out or eating out.

ugh.

best american thingies:

Hershey_Reeses_1.jpg

UGH! TOO SWEET. American 'chocolate' isn't nice.

Homemade ones are better. ;)

As Ernesto knows only too well since he's had at least one of the ones you make.

I miss Mexican food more than anything else. A burrito the size of your head for a fiver and free chips and salsa. They do a nice burrito in the Epicuran, but it's not the same.

The chocolate (extra parafin please) and peanut butter thing fades with time.

This is very true. If you're just one person its cheaper to eat out than cook for yourself. I found myself eating out or getting take-out all the time.

I think thats one of the causes of the obesity problem in the US - its so damn expensive to buy ingredients it puts you off making your own home cooked meals. So you end up eating pre-packed meals, getting take-out or eating out.

i found this too - a trip to shaws would cost you way to much to justify going there once a week.
vegetable tend to be really expensive and also taste manky.
why cook when you can get a 20 inch pre cooked pizza for 5 dollars? 30 pack of natty ice for 10 euro.
also, wherever you live in america you are guaranteed to have some form of deli, pizzaria, take away etc within 5 minutes of the house. but why walk when they deliver for free?
its a vicious circle....

i found this too - a trip to shaws would cost you way to much to justify going there once a week.
vegetable tend to be really expensive and also taste manky.
why cook when you can get a 20 inch pre cooked pizza for 5 dollars? 30 pack of natty ice for 10 euro.
also, wherever you live in america you are guaranteed to have some form of deli, pizzaria, take away etc within 5 minutes of the house. but why walk when they deliver for free?
its a vicious circle....

And why most are overweight. It's expensive to eat healthy.

LaSalsa in Galway is pretty good for Mehican stuff a mon avis. Dunno anywhere in Dublin really, overpriced shite for the most part.

that place in the epicurian food hall is good. fallon and byrne had a section with american stuff last i checked. pancake mixes and syrups and tubs of shite. didn't investigate in detail.

Perhaps we should import Mexicans to work on our, eh, eh, well we'll make them wait around a bit and they can make food in the meantime.

Burritos are Ok.I used to love authentic steak Fajitas though.mmmmm

Tell her sidewalks are called paths over here.

And she's to go on her holliers, not vacation.

We drive on the left, but if she beeps her horn and flashes her lights people will get out of her way.

Oh, and the immigration chaps are as fucking pissy as in merikay.

http://www.cheapeats.ie/2009/02/23/pancakes-yay/

I fuckin' love pancakes me.

23 Feb, 2009
Pancakes! Yay!

Posted by: jean in: Light Meals | Recipes | Sweet Things

american-pancakes.jpg

It’s Pancake Tuesday tomorrow, just in case you hadn’t noticed your local shop trying to make displays of flour and Jif lemon look enticing.
I love pancakes and eat them regularly, and often make American Pancakes as an alternative to crepes. They’re smaller and thicker than the usual pancakes, and because of this other ingredients can be added to the batter. They’re really fantastic with maple syrup.
American Pancakes

Ingredients

• 255g/9oz plain flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp caster sugar
  • 250ml/9fl oz milk
  • 2 medium eggs, lightly beaten
  • 6 tbsp cottage cheese, or yogurt, or creme fraiche
  • 55g/2oz unsalted butter, melted
Instructions

1. Make the batter by combining all the ingredients in a mixing bowl or food processor.
  2. Heat the frying pan and add a small amount of butter. Pour in the batter to make circles approximately 8cm in diameter.
  3. Cook on a medium heat until bubbles appear on the surface, which usually takes 1-2 minutes. Flip the pancake over and cook the other side for about the same amount of time.
  4. Serve with your choice of toppings: maple syrup, honey, nutella and ice-cream are all good.
You can also add fruit or chocolate to the batter - try small chunks of banana, strawberry, blueberries or chocolate chips.
In case that doesn’t sound fancy enough for you, the Guardian has some suggestions for cheffy pancakes. And tomorrow, I think I’m going to try the Coconut Macaroon Pancakes from 101 Cookbooks that we mentioned here before. If you want to keep it old-school, Donal Skehan has a Basic Pancake Recipe on Good Mood Food.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back