Is Punk Dead? (1 Viewer)

Is punk dead?

Hey..
My friends and I have been greatly influenced by punk music and the people behind the music for a long time now but, when I talk about it, we always get the feeling that we're living in the past- that the idea that we can control politics so strongly through music is long dead and that "real" punk and it's meaning died alongside Joe Strummer. The idea of what punk "is" varies from person to person but I consider it the idea of true freedom of expression through music- as Cobain once said, "musical freedom".

It's been a long time since the greats of punk such as the Sex Pistols, Stiff Little Fingers, The Clash and bands such as Black Flag, Minor Threat (even though, yes, I know they were straight edge) reigned supreme in the music world. It's been a long time since the ideals that came with punk were so passionately promoted- the idea of freedom for all, the idea of "the system", the idea of being controlled and breaking free from conformity, even the idea of anarchy. As all this ends, I was wondering, are there people out there who truly believe any of these things anymore? Are there bands out there who still play real punk music? Is there a scene in Ireland at all and do people still believe the political messages that were talked about in the music?

Or is true punk dead?

Yeah.
I just want to know if there's people out there who still think like that, you know?
It's something a lot of people I know have strong opinions about .

Punk died when it stopped being about hair, cider and fights and
started being about trying not to be a cock.
You should start a thread on Eirecore, Gazza gave you the link!

I put a link back to this thread by accident..

Its fixed.

Yeah thanks a million I'm looking at it now.

And yeah, maybe you're right. I'll become resigned to the fact that pop-punk is the new fad.

Hey..
My friends and I have been greatly influenced by punk music and the people behind the music for a long time now but, when I talk about it, we always get the feeling that we're living in the past- that the idea that we can control politics so strongly through music is long dead and that "real" punk and it's meaning died alongside Joe Strummer. The idea of what punk "is" varies from person to person but I consider it the idea of true freedom of expression through music- as Cobain once said, "musical freedom".

It's been a long time since the greats of punk such as the Sex Pistols, Stiff Little Fingers, The Clash and bands such as Black Flag, Minor Threat (even though, yes, I know they were straight edge) reigned supreme in the music world. It's been a long time since the ideals that came with punk were so passionately promoted- the idea of freedom for all, the idea of "the system", the idea of being controlled and breaking free from conformity, even the idea of anarchy. As all this ends, I was wondering, are there people out there who truly believe any of these things anymore? Are there bands out there who still play real punk music? Is there a scene in Ireland at all and do people still believe the political messages that were talked about in the music?

Or is true punk dead?

That's a pretty eloquent post. I don't think the punk ethos is dead, but these days it probably doesn't sound anything like the Pistols etc. I would consider some of the independent promoters and labels, and the associated bands to be a latter day expression of the punk ethos in Ireland.

Yeah, I understand what you mean- the spirit and the passion might still be there, it just has developed into something else- moved on with the times.

yeah. Im guessing the title wasnt the best way to go about it. Id say I'll just piss people off more so time I stopped. not what I meant though, just thought it was a way people would get fired up and give their opniions.

yeah. Im guessing the title wasnt the best way to go about it. Id say I'll just piss people off more so time I stopped. not what I meant though, just thought it was a way people would get fired up and give their opniions.

A different username might have been a start. Something a bit less 'single issue'

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back