Irish zines on zinewiki (1 Viewer)

if you make an account there, then create a page for your freesheet, the more info the better i say as to try to lure ppl to get in touch with you to get a copy etc, you need to give them a good story and give the entry of your zine a bit of character!! ive put up alot of stuff on loserdom trying to connect loserdom to other zines that were/are around,
so there you go, Eugene

i've a few misgivings at the idea of centralising information on something i enjoy so much because there's such an element of chance, and that there is a limited hierarchy of Big Name Zines (which you can get past) which seems in danger of becoming more cemented through this kind of project. and at the same time i'm a nerd and i like information. any thoughts?

dither dither.

(p.s. i have had this out a few times before elsewhere and am not trying to piss on the efforts of the people behind the project, just in case someone stumbles upon this and thinks i'm badmouthing them across the interweb. :heart:)

i'm a bit concerned that terrible zines that i wrote as an angry teenager will suddenly come back to haunt me

i wouldnt worry about that, good or bad zines are generally forgotten either way... apart from by zine freaks like ourselves
anyway the world wont listen was a good freesheet, had some nice pieces in it...

i've a few misgivings at the idea of centralising information on something i enjoy so much because there's such an element of chance, and that there is a limited hierarchy of Big Name Zines (which you can get past) which seems in danger of becoming more cemented through this kind of project. and at the same time i'm a nerd and i like information. any thoughts?

dither dither.

(p.s. i have had this out a few times before elsewhere and am not trying to piss on the efforts of the people behind the project, just in case someone stumbles upon this and thinks i'm badmouthing them across the interweb. :heart:)

well its an open independent project anybody can add to it, add their zine etc. its alot better than using myspace or bebo or that shite in my book anyway.
i dont think its any harm having some kind of a directory type source like this as otherwise do zines really exist at all? i mean in terms of a collective memory or rather than individual collections... hmm im probably not making sense...

i wouldnt worry about that, good or bad zines are generally forgotten either way... apart from by zine freaks like ourselves
anyway the world wont listen was a good freesheet, had some nice pieces in it...

aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh well

no its just listings. putting pdfs up would be another idea a good one maybe. you'd have to ask the persons permission maybe, like as you say incase they'd prefer their zine was forgotten...
i think towards the end gearhead nation had a website up at some old school address, it may well be still floating around cyberspace, Pete would probably know or if i had an old issue to hand i could check it myself (i dont at the minute)...

it depends what youd call big name zines and in the irish context too, because its not a case of that theres money to be made in advertising to irish punk subculture or whatever so that there could be some niche of power to have across the irish zine world,

i think when you find your zine stamped into the ground in a dirty pub some night you realise that zines never really make a big impact, not like the way going to a jobbykrust gig impacts a person for the rest of their life or other bands such as ebola, measa, rednecks , you know yourself,

i wrote up a story of loserdom there and then i looked around zinewiki and my story of loserdom was much more in depth and all than the little flimsy articles on maximum rock n roll or punk planet!!! -whereas i think them big american zines should have a decent in depth history because there was a lot going on around them and it would be fierce interesting to read about them,

but sure the only thing i could really write good about was my own zine (the one i do with the other loser of course!)

but thats why you should edit them articles up there

Gearhead Nation said:
SOME LATE NEWS

The Punk Superpoints Club has been cancelled due to confusion with regard to the rules. The club was an attempt to find the people who were the most punk and reward them accordingly. Unfortunately, as is the nature of punk, everybody made up their own rules and confusion has reigned ever since. Depending upon your point of view going to or not going to The Old Chinaman would mean you were awarded punk points. Similarly, if you boycott, or go to, every Hope gigs you get the same points. Aspiring punk heroes and heroines were awarding themselves bonus points for doing u-turns and being extra hypocritical. As a result of this scheme it is now estimated that 94% of the weight of the book of punk is Tip-ex.

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.iol.ie/~insinbad/

are there any actual issues up there? as pdf files and whatnot? i'd like to see some of the old gearhead nations and other ones.

[plug]
Or you could get off the internet and check out real-life, paper and toner copies of most of the Gearhead nations, the World Won't Listens and 400 hundred other such irish zines from the mid eighties to now (and 600 + others internationally) at the Forgotten Zine Archive, Seomra Sproai, 4 Mary's Abbey, off Capel Street.
[/plug]

well its an open independent project anybody can add to it, add their zine etc. its alot better than using myspace or bebo or that shite in my book anyway.
i dont think its any harm having some kind of a directory type source like this as otherwise do zines really exist at all? i mean in terms of a collective memory or rather than individual collections... hmm im probably not making sense...

aye. that makes lots of sense, it was kind of the question i'm asking - should they exist in that sense, or is one of the nice things about them that they don't.

it depends what youd call big name zines and in the irish context too, because its not a case of that theres money to be made in advertising to irish punk subculture or whatever so that there could be some niche of power to have across the irish zine world,

i think when you find your zine stamped into the ground in a dirty pub some night you realise that zines never really make a big impact, not like the way going to a jobbykrust gig impacts a person for the rest of their life or other bands such as ebola, measa, rednecks , you know yourself,

i wrote up a story of loserdom there and then i looked around zinewiki and my story of loserdom was much more in depth and all than the little flimsy articles on maximum rock n roll or punk planet!!! -whereas i think them big american zines should have a decent in depth history because there was a lot going on around them and it would be fierce interesting to read about them,

but sure the only thing i could really write good about was my own zine (the one i do with the other loser of course!)

but thats why you should edit them articles up there

i like that perspective. i guess that i came to zines through the american sort (despite living in dublin) rather than local ones and that's influenced the kind of zines i've made and read and the way i've acted around them, and my understanding of irish zines has been shaped by the archive and by the recent/current stuff by people like yourself and mr. jimbob up there. so i've always seen them in terms of penpals (and ending up in someone's recycling bin) rather than dublin (and being stood on).

nice work on what's been added, anyway. it's a nice thing that everyone's an expert on their own zine, mostly.

edit: and mr. c. punks!, your simpsons face caught me totally by surprise, i just cackled out loud. not unlifelike either.

[plug]
Or you could get off the internet and check out real-life, paper and toner copies of most of the Gearhead nations, the World Won't Listens and 400 hundred other such irish zines from the mid eighties to now (and 600 + others internationally) at the Forgotten Zine Archive, Seomra Sproai, 4 Mary's Abbey, off Capel Street.
[/plug]

What times is it possible to head in to seomra spraoi for a gander at these many zines? i cant seem to see on the blogspot when seomra spraoi would be open and im only in Dublin once in a blue moon, Id really like to go in but Ive no other business in the big smoke,e

i found a copy of Scene Police. that should probably be up there.

i dont know this zine Scene Police - Pete could you give us a few details, I know this thread is old now and non active, but if anyone would like to add any zines they think should be up on the zine wiki irish zines page that would be good, e

i dont know this zine Scene Police - Pete could you give us a few details, I know this thread is old now and non active, but if anyone would like to add any zines they think should be up on the zine wiki irish zines page that would be good, e
it was a once off, i think. more of a sheet than a zine.

it wasn't entirely serious...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back