Intolerant Russians warned against abusing Rangers players (1 Viewer)

Get off my thread.

bully

lib3.jpg

P.S my other favourite bits were when Zenit scored two goals, and how one of the cameramen at the match just spent his entire time pointing his camera at a bunch of reasonably hot female Zenit fans jumping up and down in the front row.

.|..| .|..|
They sure did have the prettiest female fans since the blonde Brazilian world cup fans!

Boo Rangers etc Play up Celtic.

That's a fairly typical response from most neutrals who don't know the actual facts when comparing the two clubs' fans.

The facts are, over the course of the last 5 years, Celtic fans have won the UEFA best fans award (in a season where they reached the UEFA Cup final and travelled all over Europe, taking well in excess of 60,000 fans to Seville for the final), have played a large number of high-profile high-tension European matches in other countries, and have never been involved in major fan trouble to the extent that local police have actually released videos of it or the clubs they have played against have even suggested any sort of action should be taken. Indeed, as shown, they have been rewarded for their behaviour by the governing body of football in Europe.

In contrast, whilst Rangers fans would like you to believe that they are of a similar standard, as they make continuous press releases about how great their fans are, the facts speak for themselves. Rangers fans over the course of the last 5 years have been involved in numerous major incidents of fan violence that have received widespread coverage due to their serious nature. What happened in Manchester is just the latest in a list of incidents caused by Rangers fans travelling away in Europe.
In Villareal in 2006, Rangers fans attacked the Villareal team bus with bricks and other missiles. This led to complaints from Valencia football club and police investigations, as well as an investigation by the UEFA football body itself.
In Barcelona last year, Rangers fans trashed the city and intimidated local residents. Despite police taking very little action for fear of repeating the riots of 30 years previous, many local and regional Spanish newspapers condemned the actions of the fans, making it headline news in Spain, and many local politicians were quoted as saying they "Hope they never come back". This is what led to the "Scotlands Shame" campaign.
And now in 2008, Rangers fans are caught on camera attacking police in Manchester and leaving the city looking like a rubbish heap.
These are 3 serious incidents occuring within the past 5 years, receiving wide media coverage and resulting in police investigations, and clearly indicate that there is a large hooligan element in the Rangers' travelling fans which needs to be dealt with. UEFA have already threatened severe sanctions after the Villareal incident, and now they might have an excuse to take action.

The issue is not that Zenit fans are racist, so they should garner more negative publicity than Rangers' fans.
The issue is not that Rangers' fans and Celtic fans' are as bad as each other. Certainly both clubs have sectarian fans, and both clubs are trying to deal with this problem.
The issue is that Rangers clearly have a hooligan element in their fanbase which needs to be dealt with.
Both clubs are still making great efforts to deal with sectarian supporters, and it's probably something they won't eliminate in the near future, but both clubs are trying to get rid of that.
But Rangers seem to be burdened down by a section of their fanbase whilst trying to deal with this, and they must make greater strides to deal with both issues, especially if they are to continue playing away matches in Europe. Also, the sections of the media and politicians that support Rangers must discourage all such behaviour, instead of instinctively defending it as that Scottish conservative MP did before he was forced to back down on viewing the video evidence.

In this case, Celtic and Rangers fans are clearly not the same, and it indicates a complete lack of attention to the actual facts to imply that they are.

So basically Celtic fans are better people than Rangers fans? Sure I knew that already.

I'd like to add that Rangers fans also caused notable trouble in Pamplona last year for the game against Osasuna.
Basically, there is a large minority of complete animals in their number.

Ehhh...I never once compared the Celtic & Rangers fans. So the issue is long rambling posts lecturing me about Celtic fans when I dont really care about Celtic fans.

That's a fairly typical response from most neutrals who don't know the actual facts when comparing the two clubs' fans.

The facts are, over the course of the last 5 years, Celtic fans have won the UEFA best fans award (in a season where they reached the UEFA Cup final and travelled all over Europe, taking well in excess of 60,000 fans to Seville for the final), have played a large number of high-profile high-tension European matches in other countries, and have never been involved in major fan trouble to the extent that local police have actually released videos of it or the clubs they have played against have even suggested any sort of action should be taken. Indeed, as shown, they have been rewarded for their behaviour by the governing body of football in Europe.

In contrast, whilst Rangers fans would like you to believe that they are of a similar standard, as they make continuous press releases about how great their fans are, the facts speak for themselves. Rangers fans over the course of the last 5 years have been involved in numerous major incidents of fan violence that have received widespread coverage due to their serious nature. What happened in Manchester is just the latest in a list of incidents caused by Rangers fans travelling away in Europe.
In Villareal in 2006, Rangers fans attacked the Villareal team bus with bricks and other missiles. This led to complaints from Valencia football club and police investigations, as well as an investigation by the UEFA football body itself.
In Barcelona last year, Rangers fans trashed the city and intimidated local residents. Despite police taking very little action for fear of repeating the riots of 30 years previous, many local and regional Spanish newspapers condemned the actions of the fans, making it headline news in Spain, and many local politicians were quoted as saying they "Hope they never come back". This is what led to the "Scotlands Shame" campaign.
And now in 2008, Rangers fans are caught on camera attacking police in Manchester and leaving the city looking like a rubbish heap.
These are 3 serious incidents occuring within the past 5 years, receiving wide media coverage and resulting in police investigations, and clearly indicate that there is a large hooligan element in the Rangers' travelling fans which needs to be dealt with. UEFA have already threatened severe sanctions after the Villareal incident, and now they might have an excuse to take action.

The issue is not that Zenit fans are racist, so they should garner more negative publicity than Rangers' fans.
The issue is not that Rangers' fans and Celtic fans' are as bad as each other. Certainly both clubs have sectarian fans, and both clubs are trying to deal with this problem.
The issue is that Rangers clearly have a hooligan element in their fanbase which needs to be dealt with.
Both clubs are still making great efforts to deal with sectarian supporters, and it's probably something they won't eliminate in the near future, but both clubs are trying to get rid of that.
But Rangers seem to be burdened down by a section of their fanbase whilst trying to deal with this, and they must make greater strides to deal with both issues, especially if they are to continue playing away matches in Europe. Also, the sections of the media and politicians that support Rangers must discourage all such behaviour, instead of instinctively defending it as that Scottish conservative MP did before he was forced to back down on viewing the video evidence.

In this case, Celtic and Rangers fans are clearly not the same, and it indicates a complete lack of attention to the actual facts to imply that they are.

Basically, there is a large minority of complete animals in their number.

ah same goes for Celtic really, but they're a different kind of animal, and most of them live in Ireland (north and south). To be fair, the celtic-jersey wearing masses in Dublin wouldn't inspire confidence at all, as witnessed by that anti-Charlie Bird march in the city there that time, or the 'No foreign games' protest outside croke park the day Ireland played Wales in rugby in 2007.

But I'd agree that the Rangers lads are worse. I've been to several games between the 2 in my time (none since 1993 however), including at Ibrox. The mutual hatred and blatant sectarianism was quite something, and I can't really believe, given how ingrained it seemed back then, that it would have changed completely.

Celtic do have that 'ah, sure we're only great - everyone loves us, so lets be on our best behaviour so everyone will keep saying we're great' mentality that Irish soccer fans have. Celtic fans tend to do their worst though when not at matches (lest we forget the riot in O'Connell st a few years ago when celtic fans who were watching a Celtic-Rangers match in a pub decided to attack the gardai as they were the closest thing they could find to a rangers fan). And speaking of Ireland fans (a Celtic supporting subsection of them), remember there was a game in landsdowne road a few years back where abuse was being shouted at an opposition player because the crowd believed he played for Rangers? Turned out it was completely the wrong bloke.

I guess it depends on how you define a 'hooligan'. On the face of it Celtic seem to have made better strides to stamp out sectarianism for sure. I reckon it was easier for them though. There have been several new regimes since the time I went through my Celtic-supporting phase (around the time Fergus McCann took over from McGinn and Dempsey - bad times, but good times all the same), and I know the club has changed hands again in the meantime. Celtic have also had a new stadium built (I'm still gutted Cambuslang never went ahead!!). So the club has been changing in pretty much every way possible. Rangers seem stuck in a rut. Their chairman (can't recall his name - Murray?) always seemed more concerned about bringing Celtic down than seeing Rangers do well - remember the famous 'Celtic will lost their hoops' quote where he was going to mastermind a plan for Celtic to lose their famous green-and-white hooped jerseys).

Anyway, no one corners the market as far as scumbag-ism or hooliganism goes. But I do think I agree with the sentiments that Celtic appear to have made more of an effort with their fans, though they're still far from perfect.

I wouldn't consider lads in Dublin who wear Celtic jerseys to be Celtic fans, to be honest. TV fans. Drinking and shouting and fighting fans. I was talking about the people who go to matches, and no Celtic game that I can remember has seen trouble of the sort that happens quite regularly when Rangers travel since 1985, when the game against Rapid Vienna had to be replayed.
Also, the sectarianism of Rangers supporters is obviously more virulent. I mean, the simple fact of the matter is that Celtic have plenty of protestant fans in Scotland - if they didn't they'd be a small club. I'm not denying that these moronic rebel songs are sung, but they are not among the most prominent 'anthems' of the club in the way that the Billy Boys is for Rangers.
I'm not speaking as a big Celtic head, by the way. I just hate the equivocation that people bring to this stuff. There is a clear winner here in terms of outright unpleasantness.

I'm sure the "lads in Dublin" would disagree with you.

You can't just dismiss / absolve their actions by saying they're not real fans.

I don't care what the "lads in Dublin" think.
Where did I absolve their actions? That's a mental allegation to make.
They are quite clearly not the responsibility of Celtic Football Club, as they are not even in the same country, or following the team they travel around Europe.
And they are quite clearly no more supporters of Celtic than you are of Manchester City or I am of Leeds.

I don't care what the "lads in Dublin" think.
Where did I absolve their actions? That's a mental allegation to make.
They are quite clearly not the responsibility of Celtic Football Club, as they are not even in the same country, or following the team they travel around Europe.
And they are quite clearly no more supporters of Celtic than you are of Manchester City or I am of Leeds.

Yes, there is a genuine difference between fan and supporter.

For me,
Irish people who follow English or Scottish clubs = fans.

People who follow said clubs while living in, hailing from or have a genuine link with the location (as opposed to picking flavour of the month in the school playground) = supporters.

Nevertheless what's the difference between a bunch of guys in ABC Limited tops running riot

1) Outside a ground where ABC Limited are playing
or
2) In a pub in another country watching ABC Limited play on a television screen?

None really.
The common thing they have is that they both identify with and have an interest in ABC Limited.

Their degrees of 'fandom' don't really come into it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back