interested in boycotting MRR? (1 Viewer)

no_exit

Website
www.livejournal.com
This is an e-mail i got recently.... :

Hello,
Recent revelations about the review policies of certain self-proclaimed 'D.I.Y.' punk magazines including, but at this point not limited to, Maximum RocknRoll have forced me to write this: a call to arms of sorts, a good ol' fashioned letter writing campaign. For those of you with short attention spans, here is the gist: MRR has a racist and classist review policy, two ideologues they supposedly fight so vehemently against. But inherent in their own magazine are these elitist policies, and whether they are intentional or not is not for us to say; that will be on their own conscience. Suffice to say that it is this policy that is keeping the true spirit of D.I.Y. music squelched (or at least somewhere near the back). D.I.Y. musicians must now assume the role of today's Rosa Parks, and stand up! ..And then sit down again, in the front. Below, you will find a full explanation of why I believe this to be true. It may be long, but I believe it is in every independent musician's best interest to read it. However, if the above words were enough to fan the flames of institutional change within you, then skip ahead to the end and forward the dry form letter I've attached to MRR, a thousand times over, if you so choose. And pass this on to anyone you think may have a credible interest in maintaining true independent music, whether it's punk rock, indie rock, prog rock, rock rock, rap, whatever. This email is for every artist that chooses to record and produce their own music.

That said, I will now attempt to defend my position to those of you saying,"What the hell are you talking about?! MRR may be the ONLY magazine that supports d.i.y. artists! You're a jerk! A plain jerk." That's a lie. Except the jerk part. The D.I.Y. part is a lie. Or, at the very least, a misconception. Has the phrase 'D.I.Y.,' at this point in time, lost all meaning entirely, becoming just another popular buzzword like 'buzzword' for aspiring punks everywhere to champion as a cause, to rally behind,to chant as they make their way to Denny's to meet with the owner of some small indie label to plan their upcoming CD release party? Does anyone remember what it means? It means Do It Yourself. For musicians, it means complete control over writing, recording, producing, and putting out their own music. "D.I.Y.- It's not just a patch anymore."

The issue of control basically comes down to money. If a band is signed to a label, no matter how big or small, that label usually puts up the majority of the money to release the album. We all know that. But those of us in bands who have not been fortunate enough to be signed know that any money that is going to be put into our music will be our own. Therefore, unless that band has members with large trust funds to finance a release,the D.I.Y. musician must spend whatever money is left over after bills to finance their release. This is not a complaint- those of us who choose to approach music this way wouldn't have it any other way. It's a personal triumph for those of us who have seen a project like this to fruition. However, since there is no outside financial backing for D.I.Y. bands, they have to compromise when it comes to production costs. This means that not only is it a bad idea, business-wise, to spend $1100 on 1000 cd's, it is a financial impossibility. Sure, these bands would love to be able to have a CD professionally pressed and packaged(maybe), but making $8/hr at the used bookstore doesn't generally leave that as an option.

So, you may be wondering(or do you already know?),"How do D.I.Y. bands do it, then? How DO they subsist?!" Well, they use CD-R's, or better yet, good old fashioned tapes, of course. This is the cheapest way to get self produced music into (pseudo) mass production- cutting the cost, not only to the band, but, by trickle down economic theory(sort of..), to you, the music consumer as well, you bargain shopper(face it, that's what you are). Why, that sounds like musical utopia! Cheap production=cheap sales! What could be better? But, apparently MRR does not see it this way.

As you may or may not know, MRR's review policies prohibit CD-R's and tapes from being reviewed in the 'normal' review section. When questioned about this via email, the response i got was, "we don't review cdrs in the regular section, using the same logic behind why we don't review tapes in the regular section." When asked, 'What logic is that, exactly?," I received no reply. So, tapes and CD-R's are reviewed in the Demo section, appearing directly after the normal review section, apparently for no other reason than that they are CD-R's and tapes. I found this out after four months of sending CD's for review, as I am in a band that releases something every month. Though I knew that MRR is consistent in taking quite a while to get to reviews (I know they get a ton of stuff), I found it strange to see the Feb. 2003 issue still without a review of the first CD we sent in Nov. of last year. I found out that our CD's are "sitting in a box," waiting to be sent to Erin Yanke in Portland, the sole reviewer for demos. So, since November, our CD's, as well as probably 100 other bands, have been collecting dust in a corner, and will continue to do so, until an arbitrary date when the new intern from UC Berkeley can make it down to the post office to mail it(sure, UPS picks up, but it's SO expensive!).

Though this is bothersome, it's really not that big of a deal. I realize that at some point our band will be represented in print. What is irritating,not to mention poor business practice, is that we've been waiting for our reviews to start appearing so we can place ads in MRR, and isn't that what they want?! Don't they depend on ad sales to keep the rag afloat?! Of course they do, but what good is advertising for something that no one's even heard of? I don't know about MRR, but Punk Planet(who, by the way, also has not rewiewed any CD-R we've sent thusfar) has a specific policy of asking for ads only for bands/labels that are reviewed in their pages. If this is also the case for MRR, it looks as if we're stuck until they get around to reviewing us. This sends the message that had we only sent in 'real' CD's at the outset, we would have been reviewed by now, hence, we could begin placing ads. THIS, my friends is the classist policy I referred to in the beginning of this letter. MRR IS INDIRECTLY PLACING ECONOMIC RESTRAINTS ON THE MUSICIANS IT CLAIMS TO SUPPORT.

Is it not classism when authority divides groups according to their economic standing? Can we not now look at the community of people involved with MRR as a microcosm of our great country? Hmm.. Here, the rich, or signed bands, are showed favor simply because they are spending more money, while the poor, or D.I.Y. bands, are caught in the vicious circle of having to remain 'poor,' or unrecognized, in this case, because, since we aren't being reviewed in a reasonable time frame, we cannot advertise, and therefore we can never crawl out of our economic slum. Why? Because no one's hearing about us, much less buying our records-er, CD-R's.

Doesn't it stand to reason that if we started getting a response from timely placed ads in the magazine that we could at some point graduate to the upper class of bands and start pressing the precious 'real' cd, if we so chose? That is classism. And it's bullshit.

Moreover, as far as CD's are concerned, it seems like the only factor in whether they are put in the dusty demo box or onto the shiny review table is the color on the bottom of the CD. I imagine the poor review editor trudging through the hundreds of submissions they get a month and simply opening each one and glancing at the bottom and separating them according to color. Holy crap! Segregation by color?! That sounds like racism! Futhermore, AMRRica's view towards tapes can be directly correlated to the way we treat Native Americans: though they were here first, they have been surpassed, and since they do not serve the interests that we have made for ourselves in this new society, we'll keep 'em around, but nobody will take them seriously because they're out of touch and a little weird, so we'll just subsidize 'em and stick 'em out here in the shitty desert, the desert here being the sparse flatlands of the demo section.

And what about the word 'demo?' Isn't the definition of a demo a quick two or three song sampler used to get shows or give someone an idea of what you sound like? Doesn't the aspiring band get a lot of "Sure, drop off your demo sometime"'s from local promoters when scouting out bookings? Isn't it short for 'demonstration?' It seems, then, like the phrase 'Demo Section,' or at least the first half of it, anyway, is inherently false, because, well, have you ever seen the demo section? You'll probably find that most of the things listed therein are not, by definition, demos. Most of the items reviewed have, on average, ten songs. The last time I looked I saw as many as 17 songs, and as few as 7 or 8. But I distinctly remember not seeing any that had three or less. It seems pretty fucking insulting to label a band's work as a demo when clearly more work has gone into it than a quick weekend in the studio laying down three songs.

Check this out: I realize that almost everyone has access to a microphone and a CD burner in this day and age, which makes reviewing a very delicate situation for today's magazines. All I'm saying is that perhaps more research should go into determining whether or not a band's release will be placed in the demo section than simply the format it's recorded on. Will this make the monthly workload on MRR and it's bretheren sufficiently increased? Possibly. But what do you think interns are for? Furthermore, where is the line to be drawn between legitimate releases and demos? The solution is simple: LISTEN TO THE GODDAMN THING! Can't anyone who's ever listened to music for more than two months distinguish the difference between a CD-R that houses nothing more than 4 track recordings of farts and burps interspersed with a guy saying, "Du-uuh...MRR sucks! You guys are dumb," and a fastcore band from the woods of Wisconsin with clearly defined influences of Black Sabbath and Venom? And further, which of these should be taken as a legitimate release? If you can't,well, then you shouldn't be attempting to review bands in an effort to launch your brilliant zine writing career.

To be sure, changing the format of reviewing in this way is bound to cause a backlash at some point, like when the fart guy sees his review in the demo section. He'll feel like he has been snubbed and not taken seriously, and will deccry and denounce MRR as 'sellouts.' But are we really worried about the tiny outer fringe of people that would do things like this so much that we have to lump the rest of the legitimate, cost-conscious bands in with them? If so, how sad. We're so scared of our shadow that we won't move? That is completely defeatist. Lame.

If MRR is so worried about offending the delicate sensibilities of those who send in CD-R's and tapes by having to decide what will or will not go into the demo section, I have another idea: I would hereby like to officially offer my services as the guy who makes that choice. I'll be glad to hear the bitching and criticism from those that would be offended by my choice to put their release in the demo section. And I'll pay for it. If MRR will send me all the questionable items that would normally go into the demo section automatically, I'll pay the postage to get them shipped to me and also the postage to send them back to the appropriate reviewers, be it the demo section or the MRR offices. And I'd bet that there's a whole gang of D.I.Y. artists out there that would be willing to do the same thing if it meant that their band would get fair representation in the magazine.

If you've read this far, hopefully you don't feel ripped off for wasting ten minutes of your life on what may seem a trivial matter considering the state of the world right now, but if you do, sorry. Feel free to write back and bitch at me for my grossly misplaced priorities. Or, if you agree and forward the attached to MRR, I'd appreciate a note to let me know so I can keep some sort of track on how it's going. And if you do jump on this bandwagon, PLEASE forward this entire message to everyone you know that cares about this kind of whiny crap. And please also go to perplexagon.com and sign the online petition that we'll send to MRR as soon as we get 500 or more signatures. Finally, if you don't want to receive any more of these D.I.Y. updates, just reply with 'unsubscribe,' okay? Maybe all this trouble will be worth something. Thanks for reading.
Jonathan

HERE'S WHERE TO GO TO SIGN THE ONLINE PETITION:
http://www.perplexagon.com/saveDIY.htm

HERE'S THE NOTE TO FORWARD TO MRR. THEIR EMAIL ADDRESS IS [email protected]. FEEL FREE TO ALTER THIS MESSAGE TO FIT YOUR PERSONAL LEXICON. DON'T FORGET TO PUT YOUR NAME AT THE END OF IT!

Dear MRR,
Your review policy concerning CD-R's and tapes is not only classist, it's racist. I don't agree with isolating a band's music into a 'demo' section based solely on the format it's recorded on. It is an insult to cost-conscious and D.I.Y. bands that are clearly not recording demos, but legitimate releases, to lump them into a section reserved, by definition, to showcase something a band gets shows with. I urge you to rethink and change your review policy to include CD-R's and tapes that are legitimate releases in the normal review section. A magazine that is known for its' D.I.Y. cred should not be segregating D.I.Y. artists simply because they do not have the money to get 'real' CD's pressed. Thank you.
Sincerely,

your name here

wait...it's racist because they separate the cds based on colour? 'blue-green' isn't a race. that silliness weakens the argument horribly.

PS

don't take that as me putting down the whole thing, it is obviously shit that bands can't get a demo reviewed without spending loads of money making it fancy enough for MRR.then again imagine how much stuff they must get to review, maybe they take it to mean a band is more serious and more likely to have their shit together if they've gone and recorded a cd. i do not know, i could argue both sides of it, but maybe that's just because i like to argue...

at the end of the e-mail there was a little advertisement for an upcoming show of his band, so i think the guy only started this because of personal experience and because of his own band, rather than because of a feeling of general unjustice.. so it may really just be a selfish boycott, however.. it does have a good purpose.

i didn't read all of that, but it seemed like the guy had some serious ego-shit going on - what's his band anyway? i'll review them! they probably suck!
i can understand why MRR are shying away from this shit considering every clown has a cd burner now or at least access to.
freedom from is a pretty cool label which releases a tonne of stuff on cd-r.
pretty cool if you like noise and shit but i do, i dunno if my friend Karl Heinz Stockhausen would be too into it though...probably not academic enough for him. spa.
the arguement is kinda dumb anyway - the whole 'bands have to use cd-rs!' shit - uh up until last three or four years, cd burners wern't the most common things. what did bands do then? release sheet music?
or maybe he's right and it's just fuckin rich kid saps like scientific bong or whatever that can afford to get shit out on wax.
maybe i read the whole thing wrong.

peace,
andy

What the hell got up that guys ass? Maybe he should do a zine himself and he can review nothing but cdr's.
There was a huge "controversy" years ago wth the review policy in MRR and eventually loads of people started doing other zines,stuff like Punk Planet and Heartattack etc. I think MRR proved a point then.DIY.
And do they not say what the review policy in every issue? Does he not read the thing?
Anyway the scene report is still happening.........

Originally posted by dragonninja6000

or maybe he's right and it's just fuckin rich kid saps like scientific bong or whatever that can afford to get shit out on wax.

sci-bong don't have anything out on wax................they raided their trust funds and splashed out on (are you ready for this) -audio cassettes with photocopied inlays!! flash or what. and straight to the top of MRR's review pile no doubt

You get what you want out of it,most zines like most anything are pretty bad. Iactually quite like MRR and have been reading it for years. It's definately one of the better zines for finding out what's going on with hardcore and the fact that it's regular and easy to get help a lot. Anyone got a better alternative?

it's so expensive over here though. fuckin almost 6 euro for a zine... that's a crime. and if you want to get techinical, it's more than 6 euro for me because of the exchange rate.

i think most people over here don't like it just because it's american-associated or something stupid like that. atleast i think i recall weeler telling me something to that extent.

mmmm

i read the above piece and i find it kinda odd, didnt the last issue of MRR say they accept tape demo's again. this guy seems to think that struggling bands cant afford to get a demo done, but somehow they can afford to buy computerswith decent cdr drives, kinda a starnge standard methinks. MRR probably gets flooded with demo's if they reviewd all of them it would be pointless, i used to buy organ zine from england (anyone know of it?) it used to have literally hundreds of demo reviews in it, it was ok soemtimes but jesus it wasn't the best read ya know?

And as gary pinted out kinda, why does that guy not just do his own zine if he hates mrr so much. i dont think MRR is amazing and i have never sent a zine to be reviewed by them cause i'd expect them to thrash it's emo'ness, anyhoo ya for zines boo! to people only picking up freesheets and not bothering to actually buy zines, tut tut tut.

Fair point,it is very US based but they do always cry out for contributions. And most of us like at least some music from there. As for the price,just stand in tower and read the bits you want. Personally I'd rather buy it than a few pints,I find it much better value.
Spuded, right on,more people should buy zines. there might eventually be more good ones if they did

Originally posted by no_exit
it's so expensive over here though. fuckin almost 6 euro for a zine... that's a crime. and if you want to get techinical, it's more than 6 euro for me because of the exchange rate.

well the sheehan family book distro could get it from active if people wanted it, it's 3.50 sterling in the catalogue though so it would probably work out much the same, about 5 euro

If a group of people got together it could be ordered directly from MRR. 10 folk at 3 euro a pop
I'll start the ball rolling with me - now we just need 9 others
MRR is a great zine - it does what it wants and reviews what it wants. Sometimes I need to search hard for bands that I personally like but its the existence of such a diy resource that makes it so worthwhile.
DOn't like it? Do your own one

Christ Gav, what's YOUR problem? Why so negative? You should take a leaf out of MC Hawking's book -HIS personal handicap didn't stop HIM bustin' out some seriously groovin' rhymes.

Anyway, the MRR thing: that guy's a fucking dick. MRR does review demos and CDRs, just spearately to the vinyl and CDs. Big fucking deal. Personally I think MRR is great. It was cool when I was getting into punk and I've started reading it often again over the last year and it's better than ever. Myself and Nooly were talking about getting copies of it in for the distro, rather than for people to be buying it from Tower.

Niall's idea sounds good though, you can count me in too, that's 8 left.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back