India's Missing Women (1 Viewer)

I am still at a loss as to how this ad can be seen as a political ad. I've seen it several times and I don't feel that it singles out any one regime, country or race. They are merely stating a fact and creating awareness.

Apparently it's to do with the fact that ad states 'support trócaire's lenten campaign' and part of that campaign is to encourage people to sign the petition to lobby the government - a political act. That, apparently, constitutes political advertising which is banned under Section 10(3) of the Radio and Television Act 1988 which says that "No advertisement shall be broadcast which is directed towards any religious or political end or which has any relation to an industrial dispute." That's how it all started, so I'm told.

But as someone was saying the censorship issue (also important) should not distract from the actual issue.

i would highly recommend, if people get the chance, seeing the national geographic special on mercy killings in India.

it is TERRIFYING what some of these wives, widows, mothers and daughters are going through. can't even begin to describe the nonchalance of it all "well, she deserved it" - truly horrifying.

those 'lucky' enough to survice are often maimed for life - battery acid in the face - just terrible.

The problem with the ad was that it had Trocaire's web address on it and on the website there is a petition to lobby the government to change it's policies regarding the issue.

I think the ad has been edited now (web address removed, I assume) & has passed the BCI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back