incredible tofu (1 Viewer)

Where do you get the nutritional yeast? We made it without it and it was still pretty tasty - very messy making it tho. After dipping in the batter we rolled the tofu in the 'breading' but then the breading got all gooey. Any more advice?

Where do you get the nutritional yeast? We made it without it and it was still pretty tasty - very messy making it tho. After dipping in the batter we rolled the tofu in the 'breading' but then the breading got all gooey. Any more advice?

you can get nutritional yeast in big tubs in health food shops for between 3 and 4 quid. it comes in various brands but the usual one you find is called engevita. and looks like this:

engevita%20label.jpg

it's gonna be messy no matter what you do really. my advice would be have your tubs of tofu, batter, and breading right beside eachother to minimise spillage. also, use one hand for the batter and one for the breading, dropping the battered tofu into the breading with one hand and rolling it quickly with the other. otherwise you just get all the batter from your fingers in the breading. there is unfortunately an inevitable build up so while a batch is frying wash and dry your hands.

did you use my 'top tip' above?

top tip:
the breading tends to get lumpy and useless pretty quickly with all the stray batter falling into it. what i did the last time which was a real progression on this front was put a little bit of the breading on a plate and when it gets lumpy simply sieve it back into the rest, throw the lumps in the bin, and refill your plate again.

portlaoise sucks for ingredients. leavin' it 'till i'm back in the big shmoke.

my ma suggested corn flakes would be grand as cornmeal? should i laugh in her face or tell her i knew that already?

corn flakes eh? i guess you could but you'd have to grind them up fairly finely so as not to have them recognisable as corn flakes. there's a fair bit of sugar in them too (8% in the case of kellogg's), which wouldn't be the best i reckon. never tried it though, it could be deadly!

i would've thought you could get cornmeal in most supermarkets. :confused:
polenta is the same thing if you can find that.

you can get nutritional yeast in big tubs in health food shops for between 3 and 4 quid. it comes in various brands but the usual one you find is called engevita. and looks like this:

engevita%20label.jpg

aha, marigold. also manufacturers of excellent stock and gravy powder. must be good, so, though i suspect it might be some form of powdered marmite.

right, all the enthusiasm has got to me, i'm going to try this too.

i've not tried making this yet but tofu + beer + boiling vat of oil should = delicious!

right.freeze the tofu when you buy it, then thaw it out over night (this changes the consistency to one that is much more meaty, chewy) cut it into "fish-sized bits" wrap the tofu in nori (those flat sheets of roasted seaweed available in asian food stores for about 2.50 for ten sheets).

place your fish sized tofu wrapped in sea weed in some sort of tray/bowl pour a load of malt vinegar in so they're just covered and leave for a few hours.
drain the vinegar off, and dip the tofu in batter (half flour/half nice beer. deep fry if possible, or fry in a deep pan with a lot of oil if not and turn a few times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back