IMRO Songwriting retreat - has anyone ever gone? (1 Viewer)

fader123

I just got an email sent to all IMRO members which is an invite to a songwriting retreat with Paul Herman. He is a former member of Faithless who has co-written songs with various English pop people including Dido, Corinne Bailey Rae etc.

The songwriting retreat is in the 4 star Brook Lodge in Wicklow and costs €485. I have gotten plenty of emails from IMRO about songwriting retreats in the past and they usually seem to cost about this much... Just wondering who goes on these things? Has any poster here ever gone? Maybe thumped posters are not the target market but who is?!

i dont know, but if i went, the first question i would ask on arrival would be 'mr. herman, did you ever go to a songwriting retreat?' - if the answer was no, i'd ask for a refund.

you can build a recording studio for 485 euro.

€485? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

well exactly. who the hell is this for?? I can't picture anyone spending 485 quid on this. So why are IMRO putting it on then? Maybe I'm just bitter cos I got my statement for three pounds or so from them on the same day as the email...

mostly rubbish P Coulter brought us Sandie Shaws Puppet on a String, Bay City Rollers and (mawkish by anyone else...stirring by this guy) this

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Ok I'd never go on a €400 songwriting retreat but I've been seriously thinking about the possibilities of taking the idea and twisting it a bit. Into a songwriting day/weekend type thing. Without too much detail it would involve throwing a bands worth of musicians into a room for the day and seeing what they come up with. This is something that could even be dome through thumped. Something for people who just want to play with and work with random people for the pure musical fun of it.
I suppose kind of like a Desert Session thing.

Paul Simon once taught a third level course in songwriting didn't he? Doubt that one was sexy.

Although he seems like the type of guy who would sleep with his students

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

emmm thats a classic reply to a classic thread!!
I think we discussed this track when it was released way back when?? when i was a NKOTB anyways.....arrh the memories....I was good looking back then too.What happened since...:(

You joined thumped a month before i did incidently....do we not getting anything for being 9 years + old in thumped life???

Ok I'd never go on a €400 songwriting retreat but I've been seriously thinking about the possibilities of taking the idea and twisting it a bit. Into a songwriting day/weekend type thing. Without too much detail it would involve throwing a bands worth of musicians into a room for the day and seeing what they come up with. This is something that could even be dome through thumped. Something for people who just want to play with and work with random people for the pure musical fun of it.
I suppose kind of like a Desert Session thing.

Anthony I'd be into trying this.....I now have an abundance of time

No way!

still dosent make up for congratulations though

emmm thats a classic reply to a classic thread!!
I think we discussed this track when it was released way back when?? when i was a NKOTB anyways.....arrh the memories....I was good looking back then too.What happened since...:(

You joined thumped a month before i did incidently....do we not getting anything for being 9 years + old in thumped life???

faders123 hopefully appreciated it.

It came out in summer of 1996. I interviewed them backstage at the Mean Fiddler that year but never published it. They played UCD the following night. Good times. Never got their final album - any good/?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back