Importing a guitar from America (1 Viewer)

Threads
Has anybody had any experience with buying a guitar online from an American seller and having it shipped to Ireland? If so, have you been royally fleeced by Irish customs?

Threads
sh!te! Sorry to hear that. So, putting a big "To Gran, merry Christmas from all the gang in 'Mericah" sticker on the case doesn't work then?

Anthony

Since 2000
Threads
Website
www.themiddleagesband.com
You might find it's still cheaper to fly over and bring it back yourself. Which is what I did. Well, the trip wasn't just for that but it worked out.

mark

M&S Wine Gums FTW
Threads
I've done it and yes I had to pay import duties. It wasn't a pricey guitar and the seller marked the declared value down so I still made a big saving. But I wouldn't risk it with something of serious value.

@Anthony makes a good point though, especially if its a pricey instrument.

Threads
Cool. Cheers for the replies. I placed a bid on an auction and thought there'd be no chance the guitar would go for the price... it did! It's a very nice HH Telecaster. They're willing to ship it for 100 dollars. It's still pretty pricey, but the final auction price was half the US retail value. There's a lot to weigh up here!

sparse

Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
I've paid between €150-200 import duty for 2 guitars I got shipped. The last one the seller refused to mark the declared value down as it would have effected the insurance if something had happened.

It still worked out a lot cheaper.

Umfufu

Threads
I've bought a couple of 2nd hand basses online from a guy on a US guitar forum.
As it's going from one private address to another, you won't get charged import duty.
It's a bit of a risk but if you spend time on the forum beforehand & buy from an established member you'll probably be fine.
Also, US sales tax isn't an issue if you buy 2nd hand.

The exchange rate is so bad at the moment, though, I'd say Thomann would be a better option.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create a thumped.com account. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

We're listening to...

• The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place
    Memorial
    Explosions In The Sky
    The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Trending Threads

Latest threads