I'm releasing an EP soon... (2 Viewers)

Before I realised what was happening, I found yesterday afternoon that I had bought this ep. Spam works hombre - you've won!

I've just put it on

I'll review it in real time cos it's only 10 minutes long or something and I've nothing better to do while the micro-chips are cooking on the Aga

OK - I'm getting pretty melodies here, not what I was expecting, especially as the track title has sinister underpants running through it. Very moody - are you ok Leigh? I mean like, are you ok in yourself? Are things ok in school?

Right second track just started. Again, way less agressive than I expected. More upbeat. Positive. Who's Sean Corcoran? Or Loreana Rushe? Pianos? Tempo shifts. Blood clots. Aneurysms.

Last one, slow again - nice thing going on at the end of the main refrain. Respect for putting Music Matters address on sleeve, she's a very nice, helpful person. Wait! We're rockin' now! Who's doing the tambourine? Wild! Jaypers it's over already

In summary, I type slow when drunk and I have to play it again to make sure I didn't miss anything. I prefer you're heavier stuff in all honesty but I suspect this release is a bid to 'score' (make semi-inappropriate advances on) 'birds' (gerlz, muchachas, ladies, men) which I'm all for - and good luck to you I say

Re: I'm releasing an EP soon... Reviews...

Drop-D E-Zine

By Liam Tyrell
12/12/2006

LPX – Easy Music For Difficult Ears – E.P. Review
Easy Music for Difficult Ears is the debut release from Kildare-man Leigh O’Gorman, or LPX, the moniker he plies his wares under. A 3-track release on his own label, The Electric Fix, LPX provides a mysterious brand of electronica for all to enjoy. The E.P. was self-conceived, self-recorded, and now self-promoted, LPX has fingers in many pies, and all contain some form of delicious filling or other. He kindly sent us here at Drop-D a shiny new copy of his work to throw the mighty power of our ears at, and so we did.

Opening quietly, nicely, the first track, Wasps in a Honey Trap, creeps and crawls its way up into some strange headspace. Blends of resonating, eerie, half-harmonies echo around a central buzz, as the ghosts of last summer’s stingers pave the way for sweeter times ahead. A feeling of growth runs through the track, and somewhere beneath the odd and jarring clumps of noise, a strange sense of well being dwells. Feeling carefully crafted while remaining casual in pace, Wasps sets us off on a disjointed, yet pleasant, note.

Paper Laterns, the second piece, streams nicely in with barely a breath. Ticking and clicking its way through plateaus of sunshine and valleys of dim destitution, this track has plenty of substance to go with its well-produced shine. A downbeat Daft Punk is the closest I can get to an accurate comparison, but even that doesn’t hit the mark. These are soundscapes, rolling plains of aural beauty to listen to as you fly down the nearest motorway, that is if you could move on the motorways in this country, but the less said about that the better.

Ledge is the final track on this short but accomplished offering from the Kildare man. A note here to other would be suitors of the music aficionado, tis better to provide a short and excellent account of your musical talents than to provide an avalanche of sub par material. Ledge teeters somewhere between the violent and the sublime, ebbing slowly along until it powers to a crashing crescendo. Plenty of depth and style to this piece, which I would suggest is the stand out track on this release. The cleverly built melody works its way into a quietish but immensely telling frenzy and leaves one feeling unsatisfied and gasping for more.

For the interested among you, LPX can be found performing at The Electric Fix nights in Dublin City from time to time. Artists that have featured at this smorgasbord of eclecticism previously include 66e, Queen Kong, Betamax Format, and my own personal favorites, Noise Control (note: some sarcasm may accompany the preceding statement, it is advised that you take it with one pinch of salt, this will constitute your recommended daily allowance (RDA) of salt as recommended by the You’re All Too Fucking Fat Council of Ireland.)
Overall Easy Music for Difficult Ears is a breath of reasonably fresh air in a country filled to the brim with mediocre soft rockers, over bearing singer songwriters, and dreary wall of noise merchants. Interesting, smart, and exhibiting bravery in its conception and promotion, LPX may find it hard to find a market, but should have no trouble finding fans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back