if you knew both your parents' blood types, is it possible to work out your own? (1 Viewer)

anyone ever donated blood? tried once but it was after a tattoo so i wasnt allowed.

I did, in college. Wanted to a couple of times since then but they wouldn't let me because I had a patch of psoriasis. Ah well.

I don't think tattoos bar you permanently. My ex has 7 or 8 tattoos, and about 25 piercings :)eek:) and he regularly donates blood (4 times a year). I think you have to wait 6 months or something.

I did, in college. Wanted to a couple of times since then but they wouldn't let me because I had a patch of psoriasis. Ah well.

I don't think tattoos bar you permanently. My ex has 7 or 8 tattoos, and about 25 piercings :)eek:) and he regularly donates blood (4 times a year). I think you have to wait 6 months or something.

ah yeah, i know it's not a permanent thing and i will be allowed to donate again.

my papa has some plaque given to him by the Pelican House for all the pints he donated over the years. crikey!

a few years ago it was six months after piercings and twelve months after tattoos. also, if you're a woman, twelve months after having sex with a man who's ever had sex with another man.

a few years ago it was six months after piercings and twelve months after tattoos. also, if you're a woman, twelve months after having sex with a man who's ever had sex with another man.

Yeah, I remember that rule now... remember thinking at the time that it was quite likely that one wouldn't know.:rolleyes:

Are you still not allowed to give blood ever if you had jaundice. Friend of mine wasn't allowed donate cos he'd had jaundice as a baby - most babies have a touch of jaundice at some stage.

ah i just checked and it seems to have changed now.. this was a few years ago. if you're one of those pesky gays you're shit out of luck though. i guess they err very far on the side of caution.

Never give blood if:
  • You have received a blood transfusion (other than an autologous transfusion) in the Republic of Ireland on or after the 1st January 1980
  • You received a blood transfusion (other than an autologous transfusion) outside the Republic of Ireland at anytime
  • You have spent 1 year or more, in total, in the UK in the years 1980 to 1996
  • You are a male who has ever had anal or oral sex with another male, even if a condom or other form of protection was used
  • You have ever used a needle to take unprescribed drugs, this includes body building drugs
  • You or your partner is HIV positive
  • You have had jaundice of uncertain cause after the age of 13 years
  • You have had hepatitis B or C
Do not donate blood for 12 months after:

• [*]You have visited a malarial area
    [*]You were pregnant or gave birth to a baby
    [*]You received an autologous blood transfusion
Do not give blood for 6 months after:
  • You have had major surgery
  • You have visited a tropical area
  • You have had any part of your body pierced
  • You have had a tattoo
  • You received acupuncture (acupuncture performed by a doctor, nurse or physiotherapist may be acceptable, please contact us for details)
  • You had an endoscopy
Do not give blood for 2 months after:
  • You have visited the United States of America, Canada, Cuba, Mexico or Israel, because of the possibility of onward transmission of West Nile Virus via blood transfusion
Do not give blood for 1 month after:
  • You have had contact with infectious diseases (where you have not previously been infected) e.g. chicken pox, mumps, measles or German measles
Do not give blood for two weeks after:
  • You have recovered from the 'flu
Do not give blood for one week after:
  • You have had a dental extraction
  • You have completed a course of antibiotics
Do not give blood for 24 hours after:
  • You have had an uncomplicated dental filling or scaling
Do not give blood until you have recovered after:
  • A cold or cold sore
vCJD and Blood Donation
The IBTS does not accept donations from people who have lived for a total of 1 year or more in the UK between 1st January 1980 and 31st December 1996. This includes living, working or on holidays. By the UK we mean England, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.

http://www.ibts.ie/generic.cfm?mID=2&sID=79

gawd. that's a long list. i guess they can't afford to take risks though.

i wonder what was happening in the UK between 1980 and 1996.

im guessing it was something sexy.

gawd. that's a long list. i guess they can't afford to take risks though.

i wonder what was happening in the UK between 1980 and 1996.

im guessing it was something sexy.

philip_glass-dracula.jpg

"Brits Out"

my mother's blood was iron-based, but my dad's was copper based (Vulcan), so mine turned out to be a delightful melange of the two. it can also cut steel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back