I started a blog that started the whole world.... (2 Viewers)

Holy cow
"No connection with the Jews"

IMAG0811.jpg

@Scientician 0.8: Just saw this while looking up stuff about Islandbridge: thought it might be of interest, if you've not seen it already.

www.bridgesofdublin.ie
Had to look up Frank Sherwin, of Frank Sherwin Bridge fame
"
Sherwin has been described as "colourful". In 1958, when the Dáil was debating allowing women to join the Garda Síochána, he suggested that "while recruits should not be actually horse faced, they should not be too good looking. They should be just plain women and not targets for marriage".[6]"

That sort of reminds me of this from John McGahern's Arts Lives on RTE. Which I have probably quoted before, because I love it so much.

-------------------------------------------------------

His first novel (The Barracks) in 1963 won some award or other and meant he got to tour Europe for a year during which time he got married to a Finnish theatre director and published his second novel (The Dark) which was immediately banned in Ireland.
When the year ended he returned to his job in the school in Clontarf and was promptly sacked.
He went to the General Secretary of the INTO who treated him to this little speech,
"If it was just the ol' book, we might have been able to do something for ya, but with going and marrying this foreign woman you've turned yourself into a hopeless case entirely.
And sure what entered your head to marry a foreign woman? When there's hundreds of thousands of Irish girls going around with their tongues hanging out for a husband"

Fantastic news. Well done Corm

I'm expecting a similar call regarding my blog any day now...one of the six or seven people that view it every six months has got to be a publisher

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back