i dont understand the music industry... (1 Viewer)

mugwump

if everyone chips in maybe we could stop others from making and releasing music..even if it's only for a while...my wish list of artists
includes Westlife, Linkin Park (fucking Idiots, IDIOTS, Fucking boy band pussies) and Celine Dion.

...but not Nelly, Nelly can stay.

you can send to money to me directly and I'll take care of everything...

EMI confirms it's paying £19.6m to end Mariah Carey's contract

EMI has confirmed it's paying £19.6 million to end Mariah Carey's recording contract.

In an official statement to the London Stock Exchange, EMI says its Virgin Records America subsidiary will pay Ms Carey $28 million.

The company says the payment will be treated as a one-off exceptional charge for this financial year.

EMI points out that it announced a £100 million restructuring programme in September, which it said would produce savings of around £65 million a year.

It says that Alain Levy's strategic review will result in a higher exceptional charge and greater savings than previously thought.

But it does not say whether ending Ms Carey's contract is part of that strategic review.

EMI says a further announcement regarding the strategic review will be made in March.

Ms Carey had signed the biggest record deal in history with Virgin Records America, which would have netted her £70 million for five albums.

At the peak of her popularity in 1993, she sold 20 million copies of her album Music Box. But she has been plagued by personal problems since then, including a nervous breakdown and a suicide attempt.

EMI decided to pull the plug on her record deal following the commercial flop of her most recent release, Glitter, which sold only two million copies worldwide.

Wow, only 2 million. Ha!

Also, from Pitchfork, amusingly:
Elliott Smith Dropped from Dreamworks?
In addition to guitar, the album may also feature "the spoons"

G.P. Sippy reports:
Rumor has it that Elliott Smith and Dreamworks Records have parted ways. Smith apparently turned in a version of his newest album to the SKG, who are said to have found the tracks too rough and unfinished. It seems the execs thought the album a bit lacking in terms of production, despite having granting Smith a fat advance. So what happened? Well, again, going by rumor, let's just say that Smith was "horsing around" too much in the studio. "Boning up" on his "Chinese history," as it were.
Hey, Geffen, after the polished Figure 8, a rougher Smith album could be what the fans want. And the hype increases when one considers that members of the Flaming Lips play on some of these new songs. We can only imagine the album to be as delicate and patterned as Smith's fine "needlework."

joss (23 Jan, 2002 02:21 p.m.):
So what happened? Well, again, going by rumor, let's just say that Smith was "horsing around" too much in the studio. "Boning up" on his "Chinese history," as it were.

We can only imagine the album to be as delicate and patterned as Smith's fine "needlework."

what the hell does that mean ? boning up on chinese history ? ? ?

was he on hard drugs or something...there are to many """ 's. it confussses me.
can anyone translate

Boning up on chinese history, eh... Personally, I thought they meant that he'd spent all his recording advance on procuring aging chinese ho's for his personal enjoyment.

more 'music industry news'...this one's for daz.

The King's Coming Back
Record company bosses are hoping to bring Elvis back to life by winning him a new 21st century audience.
The King, who would be 67 if he had lived, is to feature on a Disney soundtrack and a promotional album of 30 greatest hits.
RCA Records, which owns the rights to Elvis Presley's music, is reported to have agreed to his songs being used as the soundtrack to Disney's latest animated film, Lilo and Stitch.

The film, which is due to be released in America this summer, tells the story of a Hawaiian girl who loves the King's music.

With the help of a video game and a promotional toy tie-in with McDonald's, RCA hopes the film will kickstart the music's appeal to 15 to 24-year-olds.

Other efforts to market Elvis to the grandchildren of his first fans will include a line of 1950s-style clothing from the Lansky brothers, who produced the drape jackets and baggy trousers Presley wore when he first became a star.
[evil subliminal message]Wear Elvis clothes[/evil subliminal message]

The singer's renown has not always been reflected in sales of his records. In America last year, only 1.4 million albums were sold from a massive catalogue.

And staff were laid off at Graceland, his home and a mecca for his fans, as visitor numbers fell by 15%. Elvis died at Graceland, in Memphis, Tennessee, in 1977, aged just 42.

mugwump (24 Jan, 2002 05:06 p.m.):
Other efforts to market Elvis to the grandchildren of his first fans will include a line of 1950s-style clothing from the Lansky brothers, who produced the drape jackets and baggy trousers Presley wore when he first became a star.
[evil subliminal message]Wear Elvis clothes[/evil subliminal message]

so yeah, anyway, next time you see me, guess what i'll be wearing?
[total fashion victim sucker] drape jackets and baggy pants, of course [/total fashion victim sucker]

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back