I bricked the world osx 10.4 HAAAAAAAAlllppppp!! (1 Viewer)

ann post

Supporter
Solutions
I shut down my mac and it has not booted since. no sign of interaction with electricity.

I knew it was near the end of its life, and in fact was redoing my backups for the past few weeks with a view to retiring it. Being the nice guy that i am, i moved everything that related to other people first and then was going to shift the 30gb that makes up the past 4 years of working on a record this weekend.

So i have bricked mac with the biggest most laborious and committed music project I've ever done.

This poses a few problems.

A: save the data
B: set up an interim computer do the final mixes on which is using os 10.4.11 because there are a load of outdated plugins that i need to not have to start from scratch.

Some have replied on facebook already. Just trying to cover all possible solutions to the above before i take any action.

Attachments

• 2014-03-26 10.57.25.jpg
    2014-03-26 10.57.25.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 25
Have you tried taking out the battery then turning it on ?

In my experience your hard drive will probably be fine and you can salvage it by bringing it to a mac shop, unless you turn it on and see this screen
17626911-1.jpg

no power up without battery, or with different charger. no power up at all.
Right here's a few things that have happened to me, so I know these seem silly but they're worth a shot. When you plug in the charger does the led on the lead light up ?

The magnetic part where the charger attaches can attract little pits of metal that cause a short. I once got a bit of a staple stuck there stopping it from working. Try running something non-metallic, like a toothpick around the connection to see if there's anything stuck there.

I know it's shit but it's not as bad as it sounds, if the internal power supply unit is knackered your hard drive should be fine, it doesn't sound like it overloaded. If you bring it in to a shop you can get that changed, if they still have parts for it. If not it's off to china with it and you'll get it back in about a month. The work is usually guaranteed for a year but that's just the replacement parts. In all likelihood the machine is on it's last legs so the other option might be seeing if you can find someone to salvage the information on the hard drive and just move on. To be fair though both processes probably cost the same amount and either way you'll need a new laptop, so maybe you might eek out another few months with a new power supply but make sure to back up everything, constantly.

Would it be worth your while trying to hackintosh some shitty PC with OS 10.4.11 ?

By the way your laptop is the spitting image of mine, right down to the position of the post it note and the filthy finish.

The magnetic part where the charger attaches can attract little pits of metal that cause a short. I once got a bit of a staple stuck there stopping it from working. Try running something non-metallic, like a toothpick around the connection to see if there's anything stuck there.

Would it be worth your while trying to hackintosh some shitty PC with OS 10.4.11 ?

By the way your laptop is the spitting image of mine, right down to the position of the post it note and the filthy finish.

i'll go at that checking the contacts first. sounds like the best place to start.

don't think a hackintosh would cut it. some of these tunes have over 100 tracks of audio.

to its credit, it is 7 years old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back