How long you been fending for yourself? (4 Viewers)

financially - hrm, years but they loan me cash. Which I then have to pay back, obviously.
emotionally - never. I rely on mah family, me.

are you more thinking time not living at home or not living off yer parents?

time at uni is a grey area in your question.

I was concieved in a tube. Bought my first packet of fags at 18months Started shoe-shining at 3years of age. I was head-boy of the orphanage at 7 and was doing their accounts at 10. Married at 12, seven kids at fifteen years of age, gambling problem at 16 then conquered achololism at 18. Ran for office at 20, won, investigated for fraud when i was 23, retired at 25. It's been downhill ever since.

are you more thinking time not living at home or not living off yer parents?

time at uni is a grey area in your question.

Well it's not that serious a question. Just shooting the breeze.

How long is it since people stopped referring to their parents' house as "home" then? Maybe that should be the measure

since 92 or 93. 93 i think.
everyone who went to college in th old days used to leave home and get a job. don't want to end up lie those pair in that ad "please don't let them be in..."
that's right kids, you need a 40 year mortgage for 500 grand so you might be able to get yer hole in peace.

anyway.

How long is it since people stopped referring to their parents' house as "home" then? Maybe that should be the measure

That was a really sore point in my family. About 2 weeks after I'd moved out my Mum asked me to join them for dinner. My parents were trying to talk to me but every time I attempted to respond my siblings would talk over me as loudly as they could. After about 10 minutes of this I stood up, said "That's it, I'm going home", and left. I got a call from my Dad that evening to tell me that Mum was extremely upset - not about my leaving abrubtly but about the use of the word "home".

What a timely thread...I have been independent of my parents both financially and geographically for 10 years but only just moved back in temporarily while waiting for our new house to be finished. I have reverted to a 15 year old and scowl at them all the time, can't watch telly in peace, but am being very well fed and washing is always done and folded away!! It's not just me though, the fella and the baba are living with them too. It's a fucking nightmare. I might have a lovely newly built gaff by the end of it but the fella will desert me and I'll have permanent brain damage.

So now.

i left home in 95, lived in carlow for a year working, then my job went bust and i moved back to dublin. My ma thought i was going to move home but instead i chose to live in sin. I still have stuff in my parents house, stuff i don't remember owning but every now and then i get given a bag of stuff to take home.

What a timely thread...I have been independent of my parents both financially and geographically for 10 years but only just moved back in temporarily while waiting for our new house to be finished. I have reverted to a 15 year old and scowl at them all the time, can't watch telly in peace, but am being very well fed and washing is always done and folded away!! It's not just me though, the fella and the baba are living with them too. It's a fucking nightmare. I might have a lovely newly built gaff by the end of it but the fella will desert me and I'll have permanent brain damage.

So now.

You'll get through it Deedee - me and Stan were temporarily living with my parents this time 3 years ago while waiting for our flat to be finished. Trying to watch TV was like a feat of endurance.

That was a really sore point in my family. About 2 weeks after I'd moved out my Mum asked me to join them for dinner. My parents were trying to talk to me but every time I attempted to respond my siblings would talk over me as loudly as they could. After about 10 minutes of this I stood up, said "That's it, I'm going home", and left. I got a call from my Dad that evening to tell me that Mum was extremely upset - not about my leaving abrubtly but about the use of the word "home".

this is like a mike leigh film- in just a few sentences

Poor mothers ( as in mammys, not the african american slang word)- i think they all go through that.

i left home in 95, lived in carlow for a year working, then my job went bust and i moved back to dublin. My ma thought i was going to move home but instead i chose to live in sin. I still have stuff in my parents house, stuff i don't remember owning but every now and then i get given a bag of stuff to take home.

It isn't his stuff. His oulwan doesn't want to pay the bin charges so she gives him her rubbish every time he goes over.

approximately 3 minutes after I moved out, my mother instructed me to remove all traces of my presence from her house, which means I've been carting the same cards from my 10th birthday etc round with me for years now. Poor old me.

:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back