How long do you spend working on your stuff? (1 Viewer)

I've been working on this album for well over a year now, not the one thats coming out this year but a newer new one. narrowed down to a 26 song shortlist. if anything off this sees the light of day this year i'd be shocked. Honestly cant wait for mixing though.

Been working on my "solo" album since I got my Digi002 to talk to Logic (see reaper headmelt thread for posts of frustration) back in January. Bursts of activity with the odd week or two spend avoiding it or just being busy with Large Mound recording. Anyway, call it six months. Tracking finally finished on Tuesday. I'm no longer tripping over cables and pedals in my office. 90% mixed and being mastered over the next couple of weeks. Exciting.

I have it down to 5 hours from when I pick up a pen to posting it on youtube.

But I dont really pay much attention to sound quality.

recently recording a solo, took me 64 takes. Also spent about 50 takes on a verse the other day. Listened to it again... shite.

Spent the evening recording a guitar solo your way, although I am comping together a passable version from the multiple takes. A handy reaper trick I've just found is to slow the playback down and record your solos a bit slower than normal, that way you're less likely to make mistakes and when you speed it back up to normal it sounds like you can play fast little runs that you'd never manage normally. Might have to run it back out through the amp again to get the tone sounding more normal though.

Spent the evening recording a guitar solo your way, although I am comping together a passable version from the multiple takes. A handy reaper trick I've just found is to slow the playback down and record your solos a bit slower than normal, that way you're less likely to make mistakes and when you speed it back up to normal it sounds like you can play fast little runs that you'd never manage normally. Might have to run it back out through the amp again to get the tone sounding more normal though.

I didn't comp it. It took so many takes because I wanted to play it all the way through.

I dont comp solos either..about the only thing I dont...might make the odd correction,but you get better facemelters lashing em down in one go.

I had this notion it would be very Prince like. Like the guitar on Love or Money (B side to Kiss).

He's done it a million times since, but thats where I remember hearing it first.

I guess you have to be amazing on the guitar in the first place.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That guitar sounds normal enough to me. The voice doesn't but I read recently that he used some kind of effect for some of his weird high voice stuff rather than different recording speeds

I banged out two yesterday.I'm shaving off time all over the place and yet quality is improving,although I've simplified instrumentation alot.I'm not bragging for once although I am very pleased with myself.

I think in another two years I'll be equivalent to a sound engineer.

edit..an ever so slighty deaf sound engineer.I can no longer hear my neighbours fighting below my bedroom.I can live with that,I'll draft in a young person one of these days to help with the high end.

I'm still working on the same songs i had started working on before recording 'new country'. roughly 3ish years since the first demo me and moose made for the record back in my old flat - just did some tracking in dublin over the weekend with three of my favorite musicians and A: I feel like a very lucky person for those folk to commit things to tape with me B: this record is getting hard to call a captain a record - there is so much color and direction coming from all the people who are contributing that i just feel like a producer at this stage. its a great thing to be in the middle of. anyways, the point is, if i have to spend a year mixing this i will. a year wouldn't do it justice. it still needs to work with a few more people though, a few of ye's can be expecting pm's or emails over the next few months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back