How come we never talk about home recording? (1 Viewer)

autotune.jpg

RED(tape)MENACE said:
Well, I've yet to hear digital clipping sound any less than totaly cock and balls. I guess I'll just crank up a preamp or throw a pedal in the loop somewhere long before I'll resort to digital distortion.
Also, anytime I've tried to dirt/fuzz something up with a plugin it's sounded like complete ASS. That's just me though.

I dunno if you're familiar with D&B producer called Dillinja but he did a load of releases around 1999 where he hammered the track into the red on his dat machine to get the sound he wanted.
I don't know if the fact that those tracks were released on vinyl made much difference but they still sound amazing.

kraster said:
It's interesting that you previously referred to the Flaming Lips drum sound. That monster sound on the Soft Bulletin was acheived by hammering a submix of the drums through a dat machine.
I do agree on the cock and balls comparison, generally digital distortion sounds like shit.

Ha - just saw this.

This whole 'digital distortion is bad' argument is so tired. Digital clicks, glitches and distortion have been used everywhere by now from pop to rock and most notably in electronic music - there's a million glitch sub genres at this stage.
Using a recording process to come up with new sounds is as old as recording itself. Where do you think the idea for your distortion/phaser/flanger/etc pedals came from???

I didn't say "digital distortion is bad".
I said I haven't yet liked it, or not found an analog way that sounded nicer to me. I've certainly tried it, a whole bunch of times.

Anyone got a piano in their gaff that's tuned? I've got one but it hasn't been tuned in years. It sounds nice though, maybe i should get a tuner in and see what he can do.

aoboa said:
This whole 'digital distortion is bad' argument is so tired. Digital clicks, glitches and distortion have been used everywhere by now from pop to rock and most notably in electronic music - there's a million glitch sub genres at this stage.
Using a recording process to come up with new sounds is as old as recording itself. Where do you think the idea for your distortion/phaser/flanger/etc pedals came from???

totally i dig distort all the time .|..|

did anyone catch the Classic Albums with Phil's 'Face Value' on it

couldn't find the horrible cunt likable at all, some tunes and some sounds, but he's just really grating as a personality

FYI tonight is Who's Next by The Who

biography channell, down the late 200's on NTL, at 11pm

yowza yowza yowza

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back