• Replies 16
  • Views 2K
  • Watchers 1

MDR

Did you get my email?
Website
www.myspace.com
Right.

Meself and the Mrs are planning our honeymoon. Two weeks. Second week in New York. We don't know where to go for the first week. We want just pure relaxation by the sea. We thought of the carribbean but it's too pricey to combine it with new york. Are thinking of florida. Any suggestions? Anyone been to florida - is it just old people and cubans?

Not just any old people either, old people with upsetting facelifts.

I spose twould be good as a graphic reminder of what you've just got yourselves into...

Youse could go to somewhere boring like the Canaries or summat, no? Or do people never travel from the States to there (i.e. flights might be rare and therefore expensive)

When are you going? If it's summer time, I recommend a place called Block Island, off of the coast of Rhode Island. It's like an unspoiled Nantucket, and it's really lovely, probably lovelier, and nowhere near as posh. There are very few cars on the island (most people hire bikes or Vespa scooters to get around), and acres and acres of deserted beaches. You can even go nudey.

If you like fish, you'll be the happiest people on earth. If you go in late summer, you won't need to eat out at all, if you don't mind living on wild blackberries.

I hate Rhode Island with a passion, so it hurts to say this, but I think Block Island is one of the nicest places in New England. Fuck that Florida, Gulf of Mexico shit, the North Atlantic is where it's at.

Accommodation might be a bit tough, but if you decide you're interested, I might be able to help you out with contacts. There's a bit of a word-of-mouth network for renting houses and cottages, and there are no big holiday-home developments (they have incredibly strict planning laws that prevent it). There are, of course B and Bs too.

http://www.blockislandinfo.com/
http://www.blockisland.com/
http://www.block-island.com/

Thanks a mill for that jane. Only thing is, we're going in november, so we thought it might be a bit cold, unless we went south? I think we'll need a bit of sun to help us get over all the excitement and stuff. I wouldn't rule out your idea though - will follow it up with my B2B.

Ah, there's a lot to be said for Block Island in November. Unfortunately, most of that stuff is related the freezingness. But, despite the fact that it'd be harder to get around and harder to find variety in fine dining, it would be even more deserted, you'd have no trouble finding a self-catering house for relatively cheap, and you'd get a lot of reading done.

Anyway, there are probably similar islands off the Atlantic coast further south, but they still wouldn't be too swim-friendly in November. Try South Carolina, maybe.

I'd go for pretty, historic Americana coast stuff over crummy Florida any day. There's also somewhere like Portland, Maine, where it'd be cold but beautiful, and quiet without being deserted.

Do you plan to rent a car?

Then definitely stay away from Florida. None of these places would be brilliantly served by public transport, but it exists, at least, in areas where concentrations of settlement have a longer history. If you went somewhere like Florida, you'd be kinda stuck, and possibly forced to stay in resorts where, once they found out you were on honeymoon, they would make your stay a living hell.

I'm such a biased cunt. Go New England. You won't regret it. The port towns are at least proper towns, not just suburban sprawls with no centres. You won't be swimming, but the salty sea smell, the fresh food, and the relaxed folks will make you happy honeymooners indeed.

Thanks. I had reservations about florida and I think you've confirmed them. I'd rep you only I have donated to your account too recently to allow it again. Much appreciated advice though.

Nae problem. I don't have much experience of Florida, but I do know that, apart from the people I know who are from there, no one I actually like enjoys vacationing in places that are...you know...'like that'. I went there once when I was 15, to Orlando, and to Jupiter, and I was mortified that there were no towns, just strip malls. I still can't believe people live like that on purpose.

Oh, the north shore in Massachusetts is really nice, too. Places like Gloucester, Newburyport, Salem, etc, an area known as Cape Ann. There's the added bonus of being on the water and having very good public transport links. Plus, if you get the urge to go urban sooner than NY, you can get in to Boston pretty easily. You wouldn't need to, though. Lots of nice shops, boat trips, yummy food, and museumy stuff would keep anyone happy for a week.

http://www.capeannvacations.com/

Mumblin Deaf Ro said:
Thanks. I had reservations about florida and I think you've confirmed them. I'd rep you only I have donated to your account too recently to allow it again. Much appreciated advice though.

If you're looking for relaxing, why not try a week in Tuscany or Sicilly. Beaches in Sicilly won't be too hot in november, but the food and wine will make up for it. And dealing with all those rude Italians will make New Yorkers look like Mother Theresa:p . I spent 5 jetlagged days in Taormina in November. Pretty warm, super relaxing, and when we couldn't sleep, we sat on the balcony drinking Grappa and watching Mt Etna flow..|..|

The Chilli King said:
If you're looking for relaxing, why not try a week in Tuscany or Sicilly. Beaches in Sicilly won't be too hot in november, but the food and wine will make up for it. And dealing with all those rude Italians will make New Yorkers look like Mother Theresa:p . I spent 5 jetlagged days in Taormina in November. Pretty warm, super relaxing, and when we couldn't sleep, we sat on the balcony drinking Grappa and watching Mt Etna flow..|..|

I second the Sicily thing. Went there at the end of October last. Pefect sitting-around-doing-the-nothing location. We were just south of Toarmina. Etna rocked. Molten rocked. Weather was around 25 degrees, so plenty warm and it was coming to the end of the holiday season so was fairly quiet.

Thanks for all the advice guys. We're going to Antigua for a week and then new york for a week. It's more than we can afford, but I reckon we should start our marriage with a bit of luxury. I'd definitely like to see Block Island though - sounds great. Italy is next summer's holiday I reckon.

Churs to all.

Hope ya dont get yerselves into any hairy situations like these 2. I played the hotel doorman in this.

107048.jpg

if ye were in college ye could live on campus. Even the crustiest of deans could'nt stop that

7876.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back