Hey vegans! (1 Viewer)

wageslave

I'm thinking of cutting down on dairy or maybe giving it up if it goes ok.

I can drink black coffee, put apple juice in my museli .... but what do ya put in tea? Black tea just isn't good enough. I remember trying soy milk years ago and it was pretty manky. But maybe there's nicer stuff around now?

Rice dream is/was my favourite milk alternative...its pricey but it tastes amazing.
Dont know wether or not it curdles in tea though,was never a fan,but it most likely says it on the pack anway.

wageslave said:
I'm thinking of cutting down on dairy or maybe giving it up if it goes ok.

I can drink black coffee, put apple juice in my museli .... but what do ya put in tea? Black tea just isn't good enough. I remember trying soy milk years ago and it was pretty manky. But maybe there's nicer stuff around now?
try it again and see if it's a good enough substitute for giving up cows milk. sweetened types are best, maybe you didn't try that. i put cold water in my tea/coffee

paul- said:
Rice dream is/was my favourite milk alternative...its pricey but it tastes amazing.
Dont know wether or not it curdles in tea though
it doesn't curdle, but it's far too weak fo rtea, you have to use loads and it goes all cold, it's not any good. I'd suggest making weak-ish tea, and using some sweetener and lemon, thats a nice way to drink it. Or drink peppermint tea instead. it's nicer anyway!

the sweetened stuff is full of odd chemicals. The best soya milks are white wave and tesco organic "fair trade". Both taste lovely in tea and the white wave has added calcium. You should look at the ingredients on the Alpro. It's evil and manky. I only use the little rice milk cartons when I'm having tea in a cafe.

yeah, you can use soya in tea, it's quite nice, but to get it right you have to put the milk in first, and slowly add the not quite boiling water stirring it as you pour. it won't curdle that way.

it was probably granose you tried before, that stuff's rotten. tesco value sweetened as conor said or holland & barrett's (corporate we-love-nature's-goodness shop, grafton street) sweetened is the next cheapest and just as nice, 1.54 i think. i've never known soya milk to curdle in tea but does in coffee. white coffee's for puffs anyway.

Clodagh said:
you should try and acquire a taste for black tea, it will make things easier if you are offered a cuppa in a non vegan household or you are on the road or there just aint any milk in the gaf..... 2 cent.....

stop trying to ease your way back into the scene. come back with a *bang* (and a crust-mullet).

Manta Ray said:
it does curdle in tea. isn't it just the heat that makes it curdle anyway?
Nah, it doesn't. And coffee with milk (soya or otherwise) is an abomination anyway.
Going vegan is easy peasy. There may be some things you miss the odd time but tea with milk isn't one of them.

Manta Ray said:
it does curdle in tea. isn't it just the heat that makes it curdle anyway?

yes. it boils on contact with the hot water. doesn't matter if it's tea or coffee (how could that possibly make a difference, jesus).

to avoid curdling, pour the milk in first. that way it doesn't boil.

"what we need more of is science" - mc hawking

it bloody doesn't curdle in tea, not in my tea anyway. if it does you're doing something really wrong, or else you're just unlucky. and as for science, the boiling point of soya milk is higher than that of water which is slightly below boiling by the time it hits the cup anyway, so it couldn't boil on contact. and how could pouring the water directly from a boiling kettle onto milk in the cup make it less likely to boil than pouring the milk onto water which has already been cooled slightly by contact with the cup? hah?
it's the acidity of coffee that makes soya milk curdle, that's the difference between coffee and tea.

what we need more of is science is right..

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back