Help...please? (1 Viewer)

elizabeth

Hiya, I'm flying into Dublin for a few nights at the end of the month, and was looking for some good live shit to fill my time...evidently everyone plays the parnell mooney...can anyone tell me where in town it is? I'd really appreciate it... Oh, and be honest...are any of the bands especially striking? I don't know any of them...as a basis for comparison, I am such the Vagrant Records kind of girl-- who would I dig? Thanks!

Thanks a bunch everyone...now all I have to do is find this whelan's place...total bummer when you have a bunch of yuppie friends who are alll about seeing all things green (blah, touristy stuff-- like I really want to see the freaking blarney stone...what is with that?!)...hey dudley, who is large mound??
- Elizabeth

Whelans is easy to find. Dublin is small. If you are doing green stuff you could do worse than the Cliffs Of Moher. They're deadly and better than Niagra Falls. Could be a bit breezy in January though!

You should be able to ask anybody in Dublin for directions when you actually get here. It's just knowing who to ask that's the problem. So here's a little guide:

1) Person is scruffy looking, talking about how much they hate The Strokes, carrying a snare, complaining that they didn't get on the list:

Ask them where "Whelans" is.

2) Person is young and slightly inbred looking, wearing cream pants, shoes, singing a Destiny's Child song:

Ask them where "Mono" is. Whelans is near Mono.

3) Person is a trendy mid to late twenty something, wearing baggy pants or an expensive looking "Carhartt" tracksuit top, talking about how much "Erdinger" they're going to drink:

Ask them where "The Modern Green Bar" is. Whelans is near The Modern Green Bar.

-Thayl

if they're doing green stuff i would suggest galway. galways gr8 in 98

large mound is anthonys amazing band, deffo the most rockin band in ireland. go to largemound.com and get the free internet single!!

at the last gig they played they incited the mosh pit to take off their trousers, and a had a pole dancing girl.

dudley (03 Jan, 2002 11:41 a.m.):
large mound is anthonys amazing band, deffo the most rockin band in ireland.

at the last gig they played they incited the mosh pit to take off their trousers, and a had a pole dancing girl.

they didn't incite me to take off my trousers.

i did it all of my own accord.

it's a move my mammy taught me years ago.

Thanks again!!

Thanks yet again...especially Thayl for the perfect directions...I think I may know where it is already, thanks to the Mono reference (my old roomate at UCG was one of those cream pant wearing inbreeds) . And yeah, I appreciate the Cliffs...Niagara Falls is all strip clubs and neon signs these days anyway... but having lived in Galway for a year, I've been a host to every friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend who has ever wanted to "meet someone named Patty who drinks Guinness at 10am and tells cute anecdotes," well, that's about enough of the green stuff, eh, Anthony? (Although it does beat babysitting the cousins every time I happen into Summerhill). But thanks anyway. Makes me wish I had lived in Dublin...beets the Roisin Dubh on Rag Week (my spelling must've just massacred that poor bar's name...) You guys rock!! And hey, be nice to the Strokes...my brother in law (he's in New Bomb Turks-- never heard of them? No surprise..) is like best band friends with them-- they're nice guys...
-- Elizabeth
p.s. Y'all are so sweet!

Having heard the new Mound LP, I can attest that Anthony doesn't need riffs.
It's fucking astounding. Actual classic material.

New Bomb Turks, eh?
I bought 2 LPs and a million singles by them in Freebird years ago.
They all sound exactly the same, but they have nice covers.
And one of them *is* called Drunk On Cock.

>I am such the Vagrant Records kind of girl-- who would I dig?

You should try and make it to the Gig in Parnell Mooney's on the 17th. If you're into the kinda stuff on Vagrant you'd really like Sir Killalot & Kid Blunt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back