Hell In The Pacific (1 Viewer)

Alan Remorse

t40729nenr0.jpg

on RTE1 tonight at 1.15am

one of my favourite Lee Marvin movies ever

was originally filmed with a much more downbeat ending in which lee marvin is decapitated

still amazing though

john boorman is a great director... even if he did do exorcist 2!

Alan Remorse said:
t40729nenr0.jpg

on RTE1 tonight at 1.15am

one of my favourite Lee Marvin movies ever

was originally filmed with a much more downbeat ending in which lee marvin is decapitated

still amazing though

john boorman is a great director... even if he did do exorcist 2!

I think I'll stay up for this. No work next week so.|..|
Great movie.

Exorcist II: - not as bad as people say. Deadly soundtrack.

i dunno, exorcist 3 didnt really do it for me - only watched it once though.

exorcist 3 on the other hand totally rules.. love that rodney dangerfield guy in the lead role!

fave john boorman movie: Point Blank, but Deliverance comes close

Alan Remorse said:
i dunno, exorcist 3 didnt really do it for me - only watched it once though.

exorcist 3 on the other hand totally rules.. love that rodney dangerfield guy in the lead role!

fave john boorman movie: Point Blank, but Deliverance comes close

III is better alright.
Yeah, Point Blank is the one. Taut as fuck.

i have an obsession with the performances in Deliverance. i've never seen acting better than in that film. jon voight is one of my favourite actors ever.

another john boorman film is on this week, funnily enough with jon voight in it: The General. I've never thought much of it though.

The only movie that jon voight has been in recently that i like was Heat. oh, and of course, anaconda :)

yeah, i think we were talking about Coming Home before. brilliant film.

Midnight Cowboy and Runaway Train are great too. never seen the champ, must check it out.

Must watch anaconda again... he's actually really good in it, considering its such an awful film.

then again, i bought it, so i cant really diss it

ah, didnt realise franco zeffirelli directed the champ. bit of a departure for him, no?

reading up on the champ now, it sounds great. im a sucker for sentimental movies. www.allmovie.com describes it as "nothing more than a guy weepie"

sounds good to me!

Alan Remorse said:
ah, didnt realise franco zeffirelli directed the champ. bit of a departure for him, no?

reading up on the champ now, it sounds great. im a sucker for sentimental movies. www.allmovie.com describes it as "nothing more than a guy weepie"

sounds good to me!

he did a couple of Shakespeare adaptations well.
And Jesus Of Nazareth. Brooding, sweeping biblical epic!

nlgbbbblth said:
he did a couple of Shakespeare adaptations well.
And Jesus Of Nazareth. Brooding, sweeping biblical epic!
yeah, thats what i meant about it being a departure - othello, taming of the shrew, hamlet... the man was a shakespear machine.

funnily enough i've never seen jesus of nazareth, and its probably his most famous film.

just on my way to watch House On The Edge Of The Park now, which will bring me nicely up to Hell In The Pacific.

I don't know what i'd do if i couldnt order region 1 dvds...!

Alan Remorse said:
just on my way to watch House On The Edge Of The Park now, which will bring me nicely up to Hell In The Pacific.

I don't know what i'd do if i couldnt order region 1 dvds...!

House On The Edge Of The Park = date movie.

it cracks me up.

12 minutes of cuts on region 2 - unbelievable butchery

you got interviews on yours?
my copy is grainy, hissy pre-cert video.

B00006IUK2.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

i think i caught a few minutes of that hell in the pacific shit - didn't know what it was - two dudes fighting on a beach with some squealing sax going on the background

what - the - shit? seemed amazing
turned back over to an episode of law and order though - so what happened? did the ex-SS guard kill the ol' jewish lady or did the dirtbag WP record producer do it?

ReadySteadyJedi said:
Never seen this before last night. Was worth being balloxed today. Legend film. Pity about the ending though.

yeah, woulda been better if it had ended with mifune and marvin drinkin the saki and chillin in the abandoned building instead of the auld boomboom. thats boorman for ya tho...

nlgbbbblth said:
House On The Edge Of The Park = date movie.

it cracks me up.

12 minutes of cuts on region 2 - unbelievable butchery

you got interviews on yours?
my copy is grainy, hissy pre-cert video.
12 minutes!?! jesus christ.

my copy has interviews with david hess and john morghen (who is a fucking legend by the way, also starred in Cannibal Apocalypse, Cannibal Ferox, City Of The Living Dead and The Devil's Daughter)

yeah, i didnt remember the ending of hell in the pacific being so... well, ridiculous. its a pity, because the rest of the movie is utterly amazing.

the original ending was supposed to go like this: two japanese officers find lee marvin and toshiro mifune and kill lee marvin by decapitation... toshiro then goes mad and kills the two japanese officers.

this would have been way better and a lot more grim

the region 1 dvd apparently has ANOTHER ending where the two soldiers simply part ways at the end.

to be honest, anything would have been better than the ending they went with. it drags it down from a five star film to a four.

Alan Remorse said:
to be honest, anything would have been better than the ending they went with. it drags it down from a five star film to a four.
Bigtime. It genuinely comes across like they ran out of money/couldn't think of anything so they just... Ended it. Poor.

ReadySteadyJedi said:
Bigtime. It genuinely comes across like they ran out of money/couldn't think of anything so they just... Ended it. Poor.
but the thing is, they didnt have to "end it" per se... they could have just gone out with the two lads drinking and it would have been much more powerful...

as it is, the ending comes across as a really misguided attempt at commentary on war... REALLY misguided...

it sounds like im griping about the movie, which isn't true... everything up until that final minute is pure gold.

Alan Remorse said:
they could have just gone out with the two lads drinking and it would have been much more powerful...

dude i said this at 1.22 today!;) i like the way its pretty much dialogue free.

weren't the coen brothers threatening to make a 3 hour hell in the pacific type thing with no dialogue starring brad pitt? this was before they went to shit after the man who wasn't there....

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back