HDTV for gaming (1 Viewer)

Johnnyc

Anyone know a good site for buying tvs? Preferably based in Ireland. I wanna pick up a good high definition TV to make the most of the XBOX 360. Xtravision have a decent deal on a Philips 42" but it ain't hd.

Johnnyc said:
Anyone know a good site for buying tvs? Preferably based in Ireland. I wanna pick up a good high definition TV to make the most of the XBOX 360. Xtravision have a decent deal on a Philips 42" but it ain't hd.
komplett are doing a 37", 1080p LCD TV for €1,500. niiiice.

an equivalent philips model is 4 grand.

edit: make that were doing. they put the price up by 150 quid. http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=313532&cks=PRL

pete said:
komplett are doing a 37", 1080p LCD TV for €1,500. niiiice.

eh? i had a look, but it wasn't there. was it really 1080p? i'd be a little wary of such things cause of the way hdtv sets, and processor boxes, achieve the progressive image, essentially they just cut the vertical resolution in half, then stretch that out. unfortunately, nothing in the hdtv standard is progressive, it's all interlaced 1080. there are variants like 720p, but they all get moved around to 1080i.

far be it from me to recommend the devil, but dell have a good line in cheap tellies. it may no longer be running, but the W1700 telly, or you could try this. crt trumps lcd at all times.

the bongo said:
eh? i had a look, but it wasn't there.

The link's right up there ma fren.

TV Type High Definition monitor
PC Interface DVI, VGA (HD-15)
Diagonal Size 37" - widescreen
Resolution 1920 x 1080
Image Aspect Ratio 16:9

HDTV ReadyYes
Supported DTV Resolutions480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p

however, clarification on its 1080p-ness (hurr hurr) here http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249562

crt trumps lcd at all times

I'd like to see you hang a 37" CRT on a wall....

ah, right you are. unfortunately, all the incoming signals will be 1080i. still, would be nice.
crt trumps lcd for picture quality at all times. give it 12 - 18 months and the new fancy flat crts will be out, and i ain't making this up. wait 5 - 10 years, and we'll have the even fancier 3d holo-tellies. i think it's samsung who's doing that at the moment, not sure about hd on them though.

read that board, they're all waiting for 1080p, but even when they get it they won't get it. no broadcaster will support it, and no hd-dvd players will output it.

the bongo said:
give it 12 - 18 months and the new fancy flat crts will be out, and i ain't making this up. wait 5 - 10 years, and we'll have the even fancier 3d holo-tellies.

That's the thing, innit? I've a pain in me hole waiting for stuff. I'd rather pay now and have the damn thing instead of sitting around going "ooohh but next year you can have the moon.... fuck that, like.

read that board, they're all waiting for 1080p, but even when they get it they won't get it. no broadcaster will support it, and no hd-dvd players will output it.

PS3 will..... allegedly.

Sony’s PlayStation 3 provides numerous A/V output hookups. The upcoming console comes with not one but two HDMI outputs, and PlayStation 3 will be able to utilize both at the same time to output two 1080p video streams at the same time allowing for dual-screen HDTV gaming.

http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-x-1985-x-x-x?tag=boxcar_all_features_image

oh, yeah, i just glanced over the harvey norman book of lies that came through my letterbox. it seems our esteemed irish telly sellers are tellying us, eh, eh, that their sets are hdtv ready when they're not. when you do buy your telly make sure to look at the actual resolution, not the big yellow star that says "HDTV!".

i hate lies in the media.

the bongo said:
oh, yeah, i just glanced over the harvey norman book of lies that came through my letterbox. it seems our esteemed irish telly sellers are tellying us, eh, eh, that their sets are hdtv ready when they're not. when you do buy your telly make sure to look at the actual resolution, not the big yellow star that says "HDTV!".

i hate lies in the media.
But 480p is HD!

No, really.

480p is part of the ntsc tv standard, though a progressive variant.
atsc, the hdtv standard is 1080i or 720p. there's no 1080p in hdtv, despite what some sellers may say.

the bongo said:
480p is part of the ntsc tv standard, though a progressive variant.
atsc, the hdtv standard is 1080i or 720p. there's no 1080p in hdtv, despite what some sellers may say.
nerd

ps i was slagging the fact that these guys call an 852x480 resolution panel "HiDef"
pps welcome to your spiritual home

pete said:
nerd

ps i was slagging the fact that these guys call an 852x480 resolution panel "HiDef"
pps welcome to your spiritual home

alright, you're forgiven for the earlier insult. but this new one. i work in film, video and motion graphics for god's sake, it's my job. leave me alone. i'll kill you. i'll go cry now.

i'm not the one who owns an internet board with a nerd section in it. hmm, ask not what your country can do for you before you cast the first stone. eh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back