Haiti benefits (1 Viewer)

Foggy

trying to put some Haiti benefit shows together at short notice. Who would people recommend as the most appropriate relief agency to contact? GOAL? Concern? Red Cross?

Good luck with it Foggy!

Just to let ye know I'm organising one at the moment too - didn't want to post here till the date was confirmed but it's hopefully 4th Feb. Am waiting on confirmation from the venue. There's more info on twitter - twitter.com/sweetoblivion26
EDIT sorry didn't read the first post properly, not wanting to intrude on Foggy's event! But just in case of clashes

I think Concern already have a base out there and the Goal representative was due to fly out yesterday as far as I recall. I've always been a fan of Goal myself, but they both do good work as far as I know.

no problem SweetOblivion. I think our shows will be a bit later than that. mail me details when you have them though and I will do likewise

Good luck with it Foggy!

Just to let ye know I'm organising one at the moment too - didn't want to post here till the date was confirmed but it's hopefully 4th Feb. Am waiting on confirmation from the venue. There's more info on twitter - twitter.com/sweetoblivion26
EDIT sorry didn't read the first post properly, not wanting to intrude on Foggy's event! But just in case of clashes

no problem SweetOblivion. I think our shows will be a bit later than that. mail me details when you have them though and I will do likewise
No problem mister, thanks!

BTW I rang GOAL yesterday and got an authorisation letter, once you've picked your charity give them a buzz and they'll sort you out with all that stuff, and t-shirts etc if you need them too.

Great to see so many people on board for raising money for Haiti, there was loads of talk of it on Twitter yesterday too. .|..|

Great to see so many people on board for raising money for Haiti, there was loads of talk of it on Twitter yesterday too. .|..|

I know some people are already complaining about the delays in getting aid to Haiti but I'm amazed at the speed that the world e.g. US, France, China can mobilise practical and on-the-ground support under extremely complex logistical and governance problems.

i wonder how and why the world can't sustain the compassion so that Haiti and other countries don't fall back into the poverty and strife it was in pre-quake.

FWIW, Partners In Health are an organisation that I have some history with.
They are on the ground in an ongoing basis in Haiti providing healthcare to the poor and are as well-placed as any to help with the disaster.

You can donate here
https://donate.pih.org/page/contribute/haiti_earthquake

I was just going to post to suggest them. As 7 - No tomorrow, said they've had a presence there for a while and apparently most of their clinics outside Port Au Prince didn't fall down in the quake so they're still able to provide a good service to the people that they help.

From their literature below 94% of all contributions go to their projects which seems like a pretty efficient use of their donations.

poster2.jpg

But generally I'd say any organisation that is already there would be good as the contributions would go to immediate use. However if the gigs aren't till next month then it gives organisations that haven't yet set up their time to set up shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back