Guitar tuner problem (1 Viewer)

Cryptid

Offline for a few weeks - I needs to get some work
Website
thecrocodilequarter.tumblr.com
I bought a guitar tuner off Dolphin Music. It doesn't seem to work. It's a Boss TU-2. It seems really basic to operate, but there's not a gic out of it. I tried the original battery, then changed the battery, plugged in the cable into the input, pressed the pedal and nothing. There isn't something really basic I'm missing, is there? I've email them for a return.

Cant think what the problem could be

Maybe this will be helpful

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks. Sorry, probably another brain dead question, but at the end the guy says you need a pre-amp to use it. Is this actually the case?

I actually get some lights lighting up if I put the jack about halfway into the output socket. Also, if the jack is about halfway into my guitar I get some lights. Shite or what?

hmm, I haven't got it here with me so I'm not exactly sure what the problem is

Do you have it connected to your amp? What he is saying is that you need to have your instrument plugged into it as it won't work like other tuners that have a built in microphone. I'm not sure if it needs to be connected to the amp as well though..

Try connecting everything, turn up the volume on guitar

Someone will be along eventually who will be able to help I'm sure

A lot of people here have them

Yeah there's no microphone so you need to plug your guitar into it all right. You don't need it to be connected to an amp. You certainly don't need a pre-amp! Sounds to me like you got a dodgy one ...

I had a similar problem the other day when i was hungover. I never pugged the cable into the guitar.

15 minutes i spent getting myself all worked up:mad:

Hi. I'm using balanced cables. I.e. jacks with two black bands as opposed to one. Could this be the problem? Has anyone tried to use one of these using balanced leads or does everyone always use unbalanced cables? Is this really obvious? Should I have known this? I might go and buy a couple of unbalanced cables to see. They sent me a replacement on Tuesday and it's the exact same thing happening.

why are you using balanced cables? are you using the tuner with a standard guitar bass?

Alot of guitar pedals dont work with balanced(tsr) cables eg the ones that look like headphone jacks.Dont think my boss ds1 does!

Just use a normal guitar lead.

Weve all made that mistake now in fairness.

yeah same thing happened to me recently! Managed to score a second hand Boss FZ2 for €20, got home, plugged it in and nothing......

...Almost tears coz I've been looking for an FZ2 for ages....

....Then I twigged it was the balanced lead and harmony was restored

Almost all pedals use stereo jacks but you need to use mono cable with them. The reason is because with a mono cable in a stereo jack the sleeve and ring will be shorted. This is used as a kind of battery switch in guitar pedals so that the battery isn't being drained when you're not plugged in, as the battery circuit will be open. Your balanced cable wasn't allowing the battery/power circuit to complete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back