Guided by Voices final show DVD / Robert Pollard does 'Bubble' soundtrack (1 Viewer)

nlgbbbblth

Frozen in time since 12:34am on January 1 1982
Website
www.nlgbbbblth.wordpress.com
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/05-08/30.shtml

On December 31, 2004, Guided by Voices fans celebrated the end of two eras. The first was fairly obvious and not all that upsetting, unless you had some sort of emotional attachment to the first half of this decade. The second, however, was significantly more bittersweet: that night marked the end of Guided by Voices' two-decade run, culminating in an epic performance at Chicago's Metro.

You fit into one of two groups. Either A) You want to relive the big night or B) You're kicking yourself for missing out on history. Or you could give a shit about Guided by Voices, in which case you're a pansy mouth-breather. Well, we know who has the upper hand here, but both As and Bs will be happy to hear that Plexifilm will release Guided by Voices' entire New Year's Eve 2004 bash on DVD on November 15, under the appropriate title of The Electrifying Conclusion (that was also the name of their final tour, for those of you playing along at home). A week earlier, on November 9, former GBV bassist Jim Greer’s book Guided by Voices: A Brief History: Twenty-One Years of Hunting Accidents in the Forests of Rock and Roll will be published by Grove/Atlantic. So it’s shaping up to be a very GBVriffic November.

The Electrifying Conclusion will feature all of the 60+ songs performed that night in addition to a bit of bonus material! Oh boy! Viewers will be able to witness the handful of past GBV-mates that joined the band on stage (guitarist Tobin Sprout, bassists Greer and Greg Demos, drummers Don Thrasher and Jim MacPherson), some guests stars (Matt Sweeney of Chavez/Zwan/Superwolf, Jon Wurster of Superchunk/Marah, Pollard's brother Jim), the MC/dancer favorite Beatle Bob, and of course, the onstage bar, tended throughout the show by Pollard's buddy Trader Vic. A trailer of the DVD is available on the Plexifilm website.

The setlist for that fateful show was as follows, according to the authoritative online Guided By Voices Database (and a little help from our friends over at Plexifilm!):

1. Over The Neptune/Mesh Gear Fox
2. Watch Me Jumpstart
3. Pimple Zoo
4. Everybody Thinks I'm A Raincloud (When I'm Not Looking)
5. Fair Touching
6. Things I Will Keep
7. Glow Boy Butlers
8. Lethargy
9. The Best Of Jill Hives
10. Red Ink Superman
11. 14 Cheerleader Coldfront
12. Girls Of Wild Strawberries
13. Back To The Lake
14. Demons Are Real
15. Do The Earth
16. Tropical Robots
17. Beg For A Wheelbarrow
18. My Kind Of Soldier
19. "Wished I Was A Giant"
20. Bright Paper Werewolves
21. Lord Of Overstock
22. Window Of My World
23. Navigating Flood Regions
24. The Goldheart Mountaintop Queen Directory
25. Tractor Rape Chain
26. I Am A Tree
27. Drinker's Peace
28. Chief Barrel Belly
29. Game Of Pricks
30. Pink Gun
31. Matter Eater Lad
32. Redmen And Their Wives
33. Gonna Never Have To Die
34. I Drove A Tank
35. Shocker In Gloomtown
36. Secret Star
37. If We Wait
38. Huffman Prairie Flying Field
39. Sad If I Lost It
40. Cut-Out Witch
41. Buzzards And Dreadful Crows
42. Alone, Stinking And Unafraid
43. Unleashed! The Large-Hearted Boy
44. Glad Girls
45. Johnny Appleseed
46. Heavy Metal Country
47. Murder Charge
Encore #1
48. My Impression Now
49. My Valuable Hunting Knife
50. Queen Of Cans And Jars
51. Hot Freaks
52. Motor Away
53. I Am A Scientist
54. Teenage FBI
55. Echos Myron
56. Smothered In Hugs
Encore #2
57. A Salty Salute
58. Postal Blowfish
59. Pendulum
60. Dayton, Ohio-19 Something And 5
61. He's The Uncle
62. Exit Flagger
63. Don't Stop Now

DVD Extras include footage of Pollard recording demos for "Girls of Wild Strawberries" and "Window of My World", GBV performing "Break Even", "Some Drilling Implied", "Cruise", and "White Whale" at The Atenna in Memphis, TN (Jan. 14, 1994), and a booklet with liner notes by WFMU-NJ DJ Tom Scharpling. Oh, by the way, the booklet doubles as a foldout poster of the show, including the set list mentioned above. Sweet! In other Pollard news, everybody's favorite drunken uncle recorded the entire soundtrack for Oscar-winner/GBV book forward author Steven Soderbergh's upcoming film, Bubble (hitting festivals this fall). Six of these tracks, produced (and in some cases, accompanied) by Todd Tobias, will be released as Fading Captain Series #36 - Robert Pollard - Music For "Bubble". The EP will be available in stores September 27, 2005, but those who order through Pollard's website will have their copies shipped the first week of the month. It will be available on vinyl (7") and on CD in digipak form. Which is great, because digipaks take up less space on your shelf than jewel cases.

Cool, I'll keep an eye out for it when we are in NY, as I'm on a strict no buying CD/DVD budget till then.

Exclusive: Robert Pollard Signs to Merge Records

Amy Phillips reports:

Don't worry, Guided By Voices fans, your fearless leader hasn't abandoned you. Even though GBV called it quits nine months ago, ringleader Robert Pollard is far from finished dumping the contents of his psyche upon the public. It's kind of like how Jay-Z is retired, but can't stop showing up on other people's songs. Sort of.

On January 24, 2006, indie rock powerhouse Merge Records will release From a Compound Eye, Pollard's first post-GBV solo album (not counting that crazy stage banter thing). Not surprisingly, it consists of 26 tracks and is over 70 minutes long. Here's the lowdown:

01 Gold
02 Field Jacket Blues
03 Dancing Girls and Dancing Men
04 A Flowering Orphan
05 The Right Thing
06 U.S. Mustard Company
07 The Numbered Head
08 I'm a Widow
09 Fresh Threats Salad Shooters and Zip Guns
10 Kick Me and Cancel
11 Other Dogs Remain
12 Kensington Cradle
13 Love Is Stronger Than Witchcraft
14 Hammer in Your Eyes
15 50 Year Old Baby
16 I Surround You Naked
17 Cock of the Rainbow
18 Conqueror of the Moon
19 Blessed in an Open Head
20 A Boy in Motion
21 Denied
22 Lightshow
23 I'm a Strong Lion
24 Payment for Babies
25 Kingdom Without
26 Recovering

Unreleased versions of the record have been floating around GBV superfanland for awhile, so the true diehards probably won't find this news too exciting. According to a Merge press release, "'A Flowering Orphan' has an elegant, if somewhat skewed, chamber pop feel, while 'U.S. Mustard Company' and 'I'm a Strong Lion' are buoyant and shimmering pop tunes. 'Kensington Cradle' features a noisy sound collage that works perfectly, while 'Conqueror of the Moon' is epic and daunting in its prog-rock grandeur." And this differs from a Guided By Voices album how?
Pollard's co-conspirators on From a Compound Eye are Todd Tobias, Chris Sheehan and Scott Bennett. Tobias produced, recorded, and mixed the album at Waterloo Sound in Kent, Ohio. A tour is promised for early next year.

But we won't have to wait that long for a GBV fix. On October 31, Fading Captain will release Suitcase 2: American Superdream Wow, the sequel to the 2000 box set Suitcase: Failed Experiments and Trashed Aircraft. Suitcase 2 contains 100 rare and unreleased GBV nuggets dating from the late 1970s through 2005. Each track is credited to a band name based on the track's players. So the tracklisting reads like the kind of stuff you come up with when you're incredibly bored at four a.m. Deep breath:

Disc One:
101 The Plague: "This Ream"
102 Terror of Living: "Rocket Head"
103 Ragged Enzymes: "The Golden Pickle"
104 Hey John, Bees: "Your Charming Proposal"
105 Wim Dials: "Searing Tonight"
106 Billy Ray Human: "Somewhere Sometime"
107 Milko Waif: "If You Think It's Easy"
108 Wig Stomper: "His Spacetruck Is Strange"
109 Child Of Joe: "Tin Can Laughter"
110 7 Feet of Sunshine: "Sacred Space"
111 Bore Co: "Soul Flyers"
112 Throne: "Gods of Richard"
113 Scott Joy: "It's Only Up to You"
114 Ax: "Dancing With the Answers"
115 Devron Zones: "Waiting for Your Touch"
116 Milko Waif: "Soggy Beavers"
117 The Bug-Eyes Mums: "Invisible Train to Earth"
119 Karma Yeah: "Something For Susan in the Shadows"
120 Heavy River: "Sinister Infrared Halo"
121 Herkimer Mohawk: "Happy at the Drag Strip"
122 Apes in the Window: "Arms"
123 Yummy Ropes: "Solid Gold Animal Collection"
124 Some Are Bullets in Dreams: "Beach Towers"
125 Bleep Bleep F*ck: "Cosmic Clown"

Disc Two:
126 Timid Virus: "I Am Decided"
127 Mutts UK: "Tainted Angels With Butter Knives"
128 Brainbow: "What About the Rock?"
129 Scott Joy: "Pack of Rolling Papers"
130 The One Too Many: "Telephone Town"
131 The Pukes: "Hey, I Know Your Old Lady"
132 Dale Frescamo: "Headache Revolution"
133 Stumpy in the Ocean: "Every Man"
134 Milko Waif: "Alibible"
135 Ben Zing: "I Can't Help but Noticing"
136 Red Faced Rats: "Mannequin's Complaint"
137 U B Hitler: "Zarkoff's Coming"
138 Acid Ranch: "Supersonic Love Funky Love Gun"
139 The Bad Babies: "Perch Warble"
140 Scott Joy: "You're Not the Queen Anymore"
141 Throne: "Ivanhoe"
142 Herkimer Mohawk: "How Can You?"
143 Shoot'em: "The Lodger Carried A Gun"
144 Modular Dance Units: "Metro XVI"
145 Milko Waif: "My Dream Making Machine"
146 Usually To Death: "Mustard Man"
147 Wheels Pig Harvey: "Alone in Time"
148 The Plexigrall Bee-Hive: "Dusty Bushworms"
149 Wheels Pig Harvey: "Free It"
150 Christopher Lightship: "Are You Faster?"

Disc Three:
151 The Fake Organisms: "A Proud and Booming Industry"
152 We Too Bark: "Two or Three Songs"
153 Milko Waif: "Little Games"
154 Ax: "Daughter of the Gold Rush"
155 Leon Lemans: "Color Coat Drawing"
156 Silent Knife: "Learning to Burn"
157 Howling Wolf Orchestra: "A Minute Before the Evil Street"
158 The Needmores: "I'd Choose You"
159 Wavo: "You're Killin' Me"
160 Lectricaroo: "Old Friend"
161 Devron Zones: "She Don't Shit (No Golden Bricks for Me)"
162 Milko Waif: "I Have a Hard Heart"
163 The One Too Many: "Shoddy Clothes"
164 The Plague: "Sordid Forest"
165 The Needmores: "Shake It Out"
166 The Accidental Texas Who: "Cowboy Zoo"
167 Peter Built Bombs: "Soul Barn"
168 Modular Dance Units: "Phase IV (Rise of the Ants)"
169 Burial Wind: "Piece"
170 Sucko: "Lonely Town"
171 Wavo: "Do Be"
172 Academy of Crowsfeet: "Boston Spaceships"
173 Scott Joy: "Drugs & Eggs"
174 Stumpy in the Ocean: "That Ain't No Good"
175 Alvin Haisles: "Immediate Frozen Lookalikes"

Disc Four:
176 7 Feet of Sunshine: "Madroom Assistance"
177 Praying Man Vs. Bo Diddley: "Man of Dimension"
178 Alvin Haisles: "Nerve Gas"
179 The Fun Punk 5: "Do the Ball"
180 Peter Built Bombs: "The Issue Presents Itself"
181 The Banana Show: "Leprechaun Catfish Fighter"
182 Leon Lemans: "Child"
183 Howling Wolf Orchestra: "Invisible Exercise"
184 Carl Goffin: "All Around the World"
185 Alvin Haisles: "Late Night Scamerica"
186 Stumpy in the Ocean: "A World of My Own"
187 Milko Waif: "She's the One"
188 7 Dog 3: "Daddy's in the State Pen"
189 The One Too Many: "Cox Municipal Airport Song"
190 Gene Autrey's Psychic: "Scare Me No. 3"
191 Manimal: "Grope"
192 God's Little Lightning Bolt: "Heavy Crown"
193 Wim Dials: "So Roll Me Over"
194 The Inbrids: "Home by Ten"
195 Milko Waif: "Come Make My Shadow"
196 The One Too Many: "Paper Girl"
197 Yummy Ropes: "Jimmy's Einstein Poster"
198 Hot Skin Apartment: "My Only Confection"
199 Otim Grimes: "Groundwork"
200 The Fun Punk Song 5: "Bye Bye Song"

If that's just too much Pollard for you (which probably isn't the case, since you've made it this far into this story), highlights from Suitcase 2 will be available on an 18-song LP entitled Briefcase 2: The Return of Milko Waif. The vinyl-only collection will also contain two tracks not on the CD box set, "Lion W/Thorn in Paw" and "Superwhore," the latter produced by Steve Albini. Hardcore fans might feel ripped off, but don't call Pollard lazy and greedy: if you're one of the first 900 people to order Suitcase 2 from Pollard's website, your copy will be autographed by the man himself.
Briefcase tracklist:

Side One:
01 Headache Revolution
02 I Am Decided
03 Mannequin's Complaint
04 Your Charming Proposal
05 Supersonic Love Funky Love Gun
06 Sinister Infrared Halo
07 Perch Warble
08 What About the Rock?
Side Two:
01 Lion W/ Thorn in Paw
02 Invisible Train to Earth
03 You're Not the Queen Anymore
04 Metro XVI
05 Daughter of the Gold Rush
06 Sordid Forst
07 Lonely Town
08 My Dream Making Machine
09 Superwhore
10 Bye Bye Song

What, you thought that would be it for this round of Guided By Voices news? Think again. The second issue of Pollard's literary magazine, "EAT" is out now, available only through the Rockathon Records website. Most publications of this nature tend to exhibit work from a variety of contributors, but "EAT" is all about Bob. The second issue contains 41 poems, 33 full-color collages, and a rad cover with a moth on it. Rockathon assures us that "EAT II is a major improvement from the original EAT," which is a relief because if there is one thing we can't stand, it's a lousy sequel. Oh, and dogs wearing bandanas, we don't like those either.
As previously reported, on November 15, Plexifilm will release The Electrifying Conclusion DVD, which chronicles the band's final show at Chicago's Metro on December 31, 2004. Next week, Fading Captain will ship out Pollard's Music for Bubble EP, which consists of six songs Pollard and ex-GBV member Todd Tobias recorded for the soundtrack to the forthcoming Steven Soderbergh film Bubble. And on November 8, Scat records will reissue Guided By Voices' Propeller, on vinyl for the first time since 1992, and on CD with a snazzier booklet than the current version floating around.

Maybe all this Pollard talk makes you hunger to see the man in person. Well, you're in luck, but only if you live in Ohio, Chicago or NYC, because Bob and former GBV bassist will be heading there on their four-date book-signing tour in support of Greer's Guided by Voices: A Brief History: Twenty-One Years of Hunting Accidents in the Forests of Rock and Roll, which will be published by Grove/Atlantic on November 9. Get yr read on:

11-13 Cincinnati, OH - Joseph-Beth Booksellers
11-14 Dayton, OH - Books & Company
11-15 Chicago, IL - Barnes & Noble (DePaul)
11-17 New York, NY - Barnes & Noble (Chelsea)

y'all seen this?
guided_by_voices_watch_me_jumpstart_dvd_large.jpg

Stan Bowles said:
Yeah Pantone has it, I had a loan of it. Very good but also rather short.

its brevity is the source of its rock!

imagine their vh1-behind the music special! "we recorded this album one evening with a six pack and a 4track!";)

it's got the vid for official ironmen so that makes me very happy!:)

nlgbbbblth said:
Got it as part of the Hardcore UFOs box. Good stuff.

I watch it at least once a month, just throw in on in the background, it's simply a great film in terms of being great. But probably raises more questions then it answers (1. Is Bob Pollard a little mad, like clinical mad, 2. what happened to the poor drummer worrying so much about giving up his job for GBV, then by the end of the videos on the DVD has been given the chop, 3. what happened to the rest of that band at all..., 4. is the manager still manager for life... actually there's lot of of Neil Young parrallells here now that I think of it... )

great great film but

It seemed to me as though Bob is a wee bit autistic, which would explain why he is so prolific. Both times I watched it was after the pub, so I probably could do with a sober viewing at some point.

giveadogabone said:
that was like a suitcase full of stuff yeah? how many cd's? about 1000 songs eh?:rolleyes:

5 CDs plus the DVD
- Human Amusements At Hourly Rates (best of) 32 songs
- Demons And Painkillers (b-sides etc) 35 songs
- Delicious Pie And Thank You For Calling (unreleased stuff) 22 songs
- Live At The Wheelchair Races (live stuff) 32 songs
- Forever Since Breakfast (debut 1986 12") 7 songs

Pantone247 said:
2. what happened to the poor drummer worrying so much about giving up his job for GBV, then by the end of the videos on the DVD has been given the chop,
Apparently the drummer, kevin fennell, found God and denounced GbV as the devil's music.

zub said:
Apparently the drummer, kevin fennell, found God and denounced GbV as the devil's music.

he looked a bit preturbed and ripe for the picking by the god squad. and that biker jacket.....
this happen to someone i know....he's a catholic funda-mental-ist now:confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back