Guerrilla Girls On Tour, February 25th (1 Viewer)

Ever notice how there are no female fathers?
It's high time we even the balance.

The number one -'1' is phallic.
The number zero -'0' is yonic, BUT REPRESENTS NOTHING.
This is undeniable proof of the anti-feministic properties of numbers.

Seriously, you can sit here all day coming up with this kind of stuff.

Ever notice how there are no female fathers?
It's high time we even the balance.

The number one -'1' is phallic.
The number zero -'0' is yonic, BUT REPRESENTS NOTHING.
This is undeniable proof of the anti-feministic properties of numbers.

Seriously, you can sit here all day coming up with this kind of stuff.

Oly and joe o reilly are right-kill women

I saw the author of a book called ´how non-voilence strenghtens the state´ and it seems to be of the same sorts as guerrilla girls; founded in some sort of good idea but ulimately comes off as some reactionary bollix from people who go to too many meetings...
http://www.mediamouse.org/reviews/022706how_n.php

That video was terrible. Didn´t Inga Muscio say something about the GeeGees in Cunt? I can´t remember but I think it was something kinda like the ´crimthinc as breed a bunch of assholes´ stuff everyone says in the punk scene.

I saw the author of a book called ´how non-voilence strenghtens the state´ and it seems to be of the same sorts as guerrilla girls; founded in some sort of good idea but ulimately comes off as some reactionary bollix from people who go to too many meetings...

Yeh, that guy is an activistist goomba. Typical product of North America.

That video was terrible. Didn´t Inga Muscio say something about the GeeGees in Cunt? I can´t remember but I think it was something kinda like the ´crimthinc as breed a bunch of assholes´ stuff everyone says in the punk scene.

Inga Muscio/Cunt is a load of shite (I've read it :eek:) and also had several female friends who consider themselves feminists and anarchists say the same.

It's a shame about the GGOT. The original Guerilla Girls made up of artists, academics, activists, etc. are pretty interesting, intelligent and sometimes funny from the stuff I've seen and read.
Even if you want to just see it as slightly liberal and concerned with the glass ceiling, they are at least involved from the point of view of their every day activity and struggles.

saw the late late show performance and interview last night on the web. bloody awful. making a claim to being funny is hard to live up to but following it up with such annoying shite and a complete lack of political insight is just counter-productive.

did anyone go to the thing in trinity? was it good or as bad as the late late?

saw the late late show performance and interview last night on the web. bloody awful. making a claim to being funny is hard to live up to but following it up with such annoying shite and a complete lack of political insight is just counter-productive.

did anyone go to the thing in trinity? was it good or as bad as the late late?

i saw that too and i have to totally agree with you.... although admittedly i lost interest quickly as it all seemed ridiculous

i saw that too and i have to totally agree with you.... although admittedly i lost interest quickly as it all seemed ridiculous

Couldn't watch the 'comedy' performance, it was so embarressingly bad, as excruciating as watching David Brent cracking a joke. My guess is they play to the converted where they don't have to try to hard: "Lets name drop George Bush: how radical!" Scrolled through to the interview, was fragmented and pointless, told me nothing of their politics, although this was half the fault of "Alan Partridge" I'd say. The US has 15% women in congress vs. 13% in the Dail. Wow. Women in theatre under-represented. Wow. The problems of girls circumcised in Africa, or of women from India killed by their brothers because of family 'honour', pale in comparison.

The monks of moyross were more interesting and the rapping one was funnier.

Couldn't watch the 'comedy' performance, it was so embarressingly bad, as excruciating as watching David Brent cracking a joke. My guess is they play to the converted where they don't have to try to hard: "Lets name drop George Bush: how radical!" Scrolled through to the interview, was fragmented and pointless, told me nothing of their politics, although this was half the fault of "Alan Partridge" I'd say. The US has 15% women in congress vs. 13% in the Dail. Wow. Women in theatre under-represented. Wow. The problems of girls circumcised in Africa, or of women from India killed by their brothers because of family 'honour', pale in comparison.

The monks of moyross were more interesting and the rapping one was funnier.

I was squirming and squeaking like I do at graphic violence watching that. I really wanted it to be good. Did nobody go see em live?

They did seem to miss the point on some stuff, but that being said, Pat was too busy being fascinated by their masks to really explore anything with them. The opportunity didn't present itself for them to actually discuss feminism (besides the debate over the 2% difference in parliament). Regarding the 'big swingin mickey there's no lasses in parliament or theater' comment: I think the buzz with the Guerilla Girls is the absence of women as creators of art (rather than passive subject of artists). I doubt they think the international concerns of feminists/human rights activists for women in poorer countries is any less important than their own, but the art/theater thing is the issue they've chosen to highlight.

Now, c'mon everybody:

::clef::I got the pro-choice bluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuze::clef::

(scarlet for yis)

I think the buzz with the Guerilla Girls is the absence of women as creators of art (rather than passive subject of artists). I doubt they think the international concerns of feminists/human rights activists for women in poorer countries is any less important than their own, but the art/theater thing is the issue they've chosen to highlight.

Yeah, i know the whole point with the 'real' GG as regards the art world, and I think they pull it off with real wit in poster and text form (saw some brilliant stuff of theirs in Venice in 2005) ... and also a valid point when it sticks to 'the absence of women as creators of art (rather than passive subject of artists)' as you said, but then they shouldn't blur the purpose by also bringing in abortion, parliamentary representation etc., i.e. cover all bases also, as it throws the original reasons into high relief as seeming frivolous.

... and 'at the end of the day' the performance is not very funny anyhow, so the politics becomes a moot point in my book - I don't need to be preached to about obvious facts if they're not going to bring something extra to the argument, in content or in style.
Stick to print, sista's.

the original guerrilla girls had some good shit going on but this is very weak.

In all fairness im more concerned that dunchies idea of fun these days is sitting in watching the late late with the missus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back