Growing your own food (1 Viewer)

Is it possible to buy bags of soil from a particular region?

I'm looking to buy some bags of Fen-land soil.

here, billy, if you can't find fen soil what you could do is just get a ehh... like a big container thing, and make your own fenland soil.

Isn't fen soil just very peaty? You could give something like 50 50 sphagnum / top soil a go. What do you want to grow?

story, hippies

Grow 100 lbs. Of Potatoes In 4 Square Feet

2002343617.gif

here, billy, if you can't find fen soil what you could do is just get a ehh... like a big container thing, and make your own fenland soil.

Isn't fen soil just very peaty? You could give something like 50 50 sphagnum / top soil a go. What do you want to grow?

I want to grow spuds and carrots. There are some pallets next to my garage which I hope to make in to a "grow-box" thing.

Fenland soil is fucking amazing. I got some spuds from the Ely market yesterday and they are actually the greatest spuds you'll ever taste.
It's because it's all under the water level. The soil is incredibly dark. A lucious, deep, dark soil. Prrrrrr.

I'm trying to germinate a load of seeds in the porch. Planted them three weeks ago in peatless compost (possible mistake there). So far I've only got the courgettes sprouting. The compost was quite wet in the bag so I didn't water them after potting. Watered the bejaysus out of them last night and put the propagator lids on the seed trays. I'll give them another week or it's all about courgettes in our garden.

All grown using our very own compost form the compost bin (except for the sprouted beans that is..)

got about 14 big bucketloads of compost from our bin last year, great stuff, the tomatoes love it

nowt like freshly picked tomatoes, pure scrumptious like!

thinking of getting one of these too
http://www.smartsoil.co.uk/composter270.htm

I planted some strawberries in hanging baskets tonight. I had this great idea (later confirmed by millions of other people on the internets) of using nappies in the baskets to store water rather than buy them crystal yokes. I'm going to try grow some tomatoes in baskets as well.

I had a big gardening bag full of sods from digging the beds in the front garden and I lashed some potatoes in there. It's quite shady where I put the bag but I want it out of the way. I'd like to do another one but don't want to have a big manky green bag on full view and everywhere else is too shaded.

I got some five gallon drums for planting more crops in but they're clear plastic and look shit in the garden. I plant all my flowers and herbs in blue pots which I've been adding to for years, but it would cost a fortune to buy more just for crops. Maybe I could disguise the plastic yokes somehow.

BASTARD PEA WEEVILS AND BIND WEED.

ah i love them really

We had lots of bind weed up the back when we first moved in but we sprayed the fuck out of it so we could clear all the crap out underneath it (previous owner dumped all tree bits there). We made lots of trellis and I planted some climbing plants but they all died. A couple are growing back this year on one side but there's nothing happening on the other side as I think it's too dark. However, something is growing from the grave of one of the climbers and I think it might be bindweed again. But I'm seriously considering letting it grow. This is up the 'magic forest' area, so I'm not trying to grow crops there and it would cover the trellis. A place for everything, right? I grow nettles too.

use the nettles for tomato food/soup

bindweed is seriously a prick. if it was conatined I wouldn't mind but it's trying to grown all over the allotment.

use the nettles for tomato food/soup

bindweed is seriously a prick. if it was conatined I wouldn't mind but it's trying to grown all over the allotment.

It's nowhere near my veg so I reckon fuck it, I'll let it grow. It's nature an all. It must have some use in the scheme of things.

Here, speaking of nature and all, did you ever see Giant Hogwart?

Now that;s a proper primeval trifid looking plant so it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back