Groom: All This Happened, More Or Less (3 Viewers)

snakybus

Website
www.breakingtunes.com
For this post, I think we shall start with some big writing to indicate the gravity of the occasion. To wit:

GROOM
ALL THIS HAPPENED, MORE OR LESS

All This Happened, More Or Less, is the new album by Dublin band GROOM, and is out now on Fairview House Records.

Recorded by Nicky Coghlan and GROOM in Dhulaigh studios, it is packed full of indie keyboard/guitar rock gems. All songs were written by singer/guitarist Michael Stevens (previously of SETTLER), and feature his own particular brand of nerdy observational sci-fi country songs, spanning a variety of themes, such as time travel, technology, religion, polar bears, death, sadness, evolution and, most of all, love.

Taking its title from the first line in Kurt Vonnegut’s Slaughterhouse Five, All This Happened, More Or Less is GROOM’s curious take on indie pop and rock: a piece of storytelling that blithely jumps from ponderous sincerity to freewheeling whimsy; from sullen inquietude to gleeful satire. The musical palette is wide, owing as much to sharp-witted countrytronica of The Magnetic Fields and pop of The Postal Service as it does to the more familiar guitar-based rock of Wilco and Pavement.

A departure from GROOM's ragged electronic-roots debut album and subsequent EP, All This Happened, More Or Less is definitely GROOM’s rock album, featuring lively performances from drummer Brian O’Higgins, bassist/keyboardist Wil McDermott (previously of SETTLER), and electronic wiz Liam Dunne (also of LMD64 and ASCIINOID). Recorded live (more or less), the album grumbles, sparkles and pops along like an old car that just won't give up the ghost.

There are also contributions from Ian Lawton of indie pop band Omelette (he also designed the cover), the irrepressible Thomas Dunning and songwriter Mumblin’ Deaf Ro. A guest vocalist, the sublime Valerie Hely, also takes lead duties on one song.

Abum_cover_site.jpg

www.groomtheband.com
www.myspace.com/groomtheband

This is currently available in Road Records (Fade Street), Record Collector and The Secret Book and Record Store (both on Wicklow Street).

And it'll be available elsewhere soon!

The launch for this album is in the Boom Boom Room (above Conway's on Parnell Street) on Sunday, November 12th.

Is this out now now or at the launch now?

Congrats by the way - I'm sure it will be deadly. Good choice of title too, although I thought my suggestion 'Let me play you a song from my heart' was much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back