Grant McLennan RIP (1 Viewer)

without sounding too sappy, its still hard to accept that there will never be another go betweens record or live show.

I really got into the Go-Betweens about 18 months ago when a friend burned me CDs of 'Liberty Belle...' and 'Bellavista Terrace' (a best-of). I already owned '16 Lovers Lane' but had never really warmed to it. They became one of my obsession bands, where I basically listen to the same band for months on end. I finally got '16 Lovers Lane' and I would put that on a par with 'Libery Belle...'. I was quite disappointed with most of the rest of their albums apart from 'Oceans Apart' which is great. I suppose that's the problem with starting from hindsight and having a best-of which genuinely took the very strongest bits of their early albums.
Anyway, I'm more of a Robert Forster fan (he's more consistent, lyrically better and less cheesy) but they complimented each other beautifully most of the time.
Anyone get 'Intermission', the double CD of their solo output? It's not great but the Forster stuff is definitely the stronger.
My favourite Grant songs: 'Finding You', 'That Way', 'The Ghost and the Black Hat', 'Apology Accepted', 'Cattle & Cane', 'Love Goes On'.
its also worth getting 'the striped sunlight sound' dvd which comes with a live cd. A full live show on there and a 2nd set called 'Acoustic Stories' which is just Robert and Grant playing selected songs (shot in Grants house) and talking about the background to the songs. Really great.

Got a thing about this this morning. He's playing 19th September, tickets on sale Monday.

He just released a new album, and the impression I'm getting is that Grant was involved in writing a lot of the songs? I could be reading that wrong, but.

I'm not a huge fan of Forster's solo stuff, but I think I'll go see him anyway because it could be really good. And Forster on a bad day is still pretty awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back