Grant McLennan RIP (1 Viewer)

Died in his sleep? He was only in his 40's...shit.

I saw them play one friday afternoon in the sunshine at Trinity College cricket ground in the early 80's when they had their original bass player. One of the best gigs I've ever attended. I saw them a few times after but nothing compares to that gig for me.

'Cattle and cane' and 'Batchelor kisses' are as near to perfect as one can get.

Might squeeze 'C & C' in at The Pets gig on friday.

I met him about ten years ago, I was broke so he gave me a fiver off the price of a t-shirt, sound fella. You wouldn't get Betamax to piss on ya if you were on fire, much less give ya a fiver off a t-shirt. Poor Grant!

GW McLennan.... A true genius departs....

I reacall.... Cattle & Cane....

I recall a schoolboy coming home
Through fields of cane
To a house of tin and timber
And in the sky
A rain of falling cinders
From time to time
The waste memory-wastes

I recall a boy in bigger pants
Like everyone
Just waiting for a chance
His father's watch
He left it in the showers
From time to time
The waste memory-wastes

Here's a clip of CC doing a great version of Grants 'Dusty In Here'.

D'oh

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I really got into the Go-Betweens about 18 months ago when a friend burned me CDs of 'Liberty Belle...' and 'Bellavista Terrace' (a best-of). I already owned '16 Lovers Lane' but had never really warmed to it. They became one of my obsession bands, where I basically listen to the same band for months on end. I finally got '16 Lovers Lane' and I would put that on a par with 'Libery Belle...'. I was quite disappointed with most of the rest of their albums apart from 'Oceans Apart' which is great. I suppose that's the problem with starting from hindsight and having a best-of which genuinely took the very strongest bits of their early albums.
Anyway, I'm more of a Robert Forster fan (he's more consistent, lyrically better and less cheesy) but they complimented each other beautifully most of the time.
Anyone get 'Intermission', the double CD of their solo output? It's not great but the Forster stuff is definitely the stronger.
My favourite Grant songs: 'Finding You', 'That Way', 'The Ghost and the Black Hat', 'Apology Accepted', 'Cattle & Cane', 'Love Goes On'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back