Grammar Issues (2 Viewers)

Why do some people say "moneys"?

Not as in "money's too tight to mention"

but moneys as in "moneys were paid"

But what's the singular form of 'Weetabix'? This is among one of the most pressing concers of our age.

I reckon it's 'Weetabic'.

I sound like a student.

Actually a bit of googling and it seems that if you were due money from different people it is correct to say "all monies were paid" as you are dealing with a couple of different collections of money.
this makes sense.

actually, if you were still due money from different people, wouldn't it be "all monies are yet to be paid"?

Actually a bit of googling and it seems that if you were due money from different people it is correct to say "all monies were paid" as you are dealing with a couple of different collections of money.

I see

makes sense

I hate this thread

Could I just remind everyone that "data" is already plural. Cause that one annoys me.

This doesn't bother me. I think it's natural since knowledge, information, learning, lore etc are all uncountable nouns in English. I know of no such excuse for using media as a singular though. Popular useage will make fools of us all eventually.

Plural of anus in the Latin is ani. Unless you mean the fourth-declension word 'anus', also meaning 'old woman', probably because they're both puckered. Anyway, the plural of the old-woman anus is, um, anus. Because sher, don't you only need the one?

Grammar pedantry. Data, foci, fora, criteria, media (not referring to the industry, but to the general term that refers to methods used to communicate/display/whatever). Those I use. The rest, whatever sounds sensible and depending on the context.

language is alive
all you fuckers trying to freeze it, you make me sick
an active philology considers only the will of the one who speaks
and what is the will of the one who speaks?
- the will to power
recognise, fools.

- the will to power

Baby I love Your Way/Freebird/Lady singer just past her prime/ man singer with Mullet & Moustache Combo

this is what they mean when they say "greater than the sum of it's parts"

Octopus - Octopodes or Octopusses

It depends on whether you pluralise it according to English or the parent language (Greek).

Another common mistake is to say that 'Liverpool have a good team'. This is incorrect on two points: it should be that 'Liverpool has a good team' and, more importantly, Liverpool are shite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back