Graduate study in the US (2 Viewers)

Cara

Has anyone done any post graduate study anywhere in America? If you did, did you have to a GRE test? What are they like?

Has anyone done any post graduate study anywhere in America? If you did, did you have to a GRE test? What are they like?

Some programs don't require it but most do. It's a general standardized test in 3 sections. It just proves you are not an idiot and will be able to handle advanced education, so to speak. You go in and have a few hours to take it. I think most places it's computerized now instead of scantron sheet where you'd pencil in the circle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graduate_Record_Examination

Do you have to do it over there or is there any option for doing it in the country you're already in?

I found a practice test, there looks to be math like things in it. This scares me.

Do you have to do it over there or is there any option for doing it in the country you're already in?

I found a practice test, there looks to be math like things in it. This scares me.

There are test centers where you go in to take it but I would assume there must be a way to take it abroad. I think it's ETS -- it must be in the wiki article (which I didn't read) is the place you should look. Yes, one section is math. However, if you are not doing a subject specific one the math is rather easy. What type of programs are you looking into?

yes, you will have to do that test. Its not really the same as the leaving though, more like what Jane was saying there, just to make sure that you aren't extremely thick.

You can buy prep / sample books for it. Do this.

You will then be invited over to the uni for a chat, more of the same, just confirming that you are not insane. And then you fire into your PhD or whatever.

The money you will be on is variable. Be aware that obviously living in NYC is going to be a bit more pricey than Ithaca. Even if places dont green light you, dont be scared to go after them and tell them you are really interested and would like them to reconsider.
My mate just got into one of the best PhD programs in his field that initially refused him.

Good luck. Its worth doing I think .

It's education policy and management in HGSE, not for right now, but maybe in a couple of years, just the result of that is one of the mandatory pieces of information on the application. It'd be handy to have the test over and done with sooner than later though. If you don't do as well as you might have liked do you know if you can resit it?

It's education policy and management in HGSE, not for right now, but maybe in a couple of years, just the result of that is one of the mandatory pieces of information on the application. It'd be handy to have the test over and done with sooner than later though. If you don't do as well as you might have liked do you know if you can resit it?

Yeah you can retake it. You'll have to pay to retake it but you can. Buy the prep-course book and you'll be grand. Seriously, it's just a general knowledge/logic type stuff anyone should have by the time they're considering graduate school. Can you figure out a tip at a restaurant? Can you read an article and answer questions with regard to what you've just read? That's the gist.

I just found an online practice book, goes through all the sections with how to go about answering each of them. There is something that looks like algebra in there, I'm too scared to properly investigate it.

It's just scary cos it's stuff you haven't been near for a while. all those aptitude tests are the same. there's a lot of jobs in Ireland have similiar ones

It's just scary cos it's stuff you haven't been near for a while. all those aptitude tests are the same. there's a lot of jobs in Ireland have similiar ones

It was scary when I was surrounded by it too! Bloody maths. It can't really be that necessary

i did it in dublin in december 2006
you do it in the same place they do driver theory tests
it was expensive, and a piece of piss
unless you're thick, in which case it's really hard!

there are sample questions online, they'll sell you practice papers but don't bother paying for them, it's a ripoff

on the subject of aptitude, all this information is pretty readily available via google.

anyways i ended up in london, i think i made the right choice. half the people here are yanks anyway

I'm just outside of London now, we have hardly any yanks, you must have gotten ours

we do have a shitload
the college sells them 'general course' years, for undergrads to come over, spend way over the odds, learn some 'general' studies, and generally spend a year pretending to be european
but we're 50% postgrad and it pays for my cushy common room, so i'm happy
where you studying?

Kingston uni, I'm in the Kingston Hill campus, it's so pretty, most of my lectures take place in what was Florence Nightingale's family house.
Where are you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back