Graceland by Paul Simon (1 Viewer)

Jim Daniels

Burls Forever
Supporter
Since 2000
Website
twitter.com
He was on telly last night, talking about the making of the album. He's a bit bats, but the title track has been in my head all day. Great song. Never liked Call me Al though.

Went into Tower and HMV today. but neither of them had it. Found this version on You Tube though, which really should go in Jill Hives's covers thread..

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

. Never liked Call me Al though.

FFS.

Anyways, the Islands did a lovely cover of it (graceland) as well but can't find it on youtube.

I always love how bitter Los Lobos are about the whole thing

I mean he [Simon] quite literally — and in no way do I exaggerate when I say — he stole the songs from us... We go into the studio, and he had quite literally nothing. I mean, he had no ideas, no concepts, and said, 'Well, let's just jam.' ...Paul goes, 'Hey, what's that?' We start playing what we have of it, and it is exactly what you hear on the record. So we're like, 'Oh, ok. We'll share this song.' A few months later, the record comes out and says 'Words and Music by Paul Simon.' We were like, 'What the fuck is this?' We tried calling him, and we can't find him. Weeks go by and our managers can't find him. We finally track him down and ask him about our song, and he goes, 'Sue me. See what happens.
They do realise that that song is the worst one on the album, right?

Overall, I could listen to that album and also Rhythm of the Saints forever, and I probably will.

FFS.
I always love the way how bitter Los Lobos are about the whole thing

They do realise that that song is the worst one on the album, right?

QUOTE]

Thats typical Paul Simon it seems. After all these years, himself and Artie still fight over who wrote what. Dave Fanning interviewed them a couple of years ago, and it was like listening to 2 school kids arguing over who came up with some joke first.

I must get the album all the same and seek out Rhythm of the Saints too

I think this is my favourite song by him ever,

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

edit: ha! i just listened to it and it's not as good as I remember, whoops! Still very good though

Graceland is mostly great alright, although i wouldnt be a fan of PS in general, and simon and garfunkel were shite. i love the arrangement on the title track, the little bass breakdowns in the chorus are genius. i wonder if they were his idea. he was approaching Hejira standards of songwriting on this one.

Brilliant album. I'd be a fan of S&G stuff too. Sound of Silence album is a screamer.

this was an album that was on in the car a lot when i was a kid. i know every word of it. it's a classic.

Playing O2 in July. €55 quid.

Vicar St or Grand Canal would have been nice..... but unrealistic

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0323/1224313767363.html

Paul Simon is to play his album Graceland in its entirety at a concert in the O2 in Dublin this July.

The album, which was released in 1986, restored Simon’s pre-eminence among singer-songwriters of his generation.

It sold 14 million copies worldwide and won Grammys for best album and, for its title track, best song.

It combined Simon’s songwriting with his new-found interest in South African music at a time when apartheid was still in existence, and featured the vocal group Ladysmith Black Mambazo. They will also be performing at the O2 gig on Thursday, July 12th.

The O2 date will be the first of a month-long tour in Europe to mark the 25th anniversary of the album, which fell last year.

Simon (70) thrilled an audience of his most appreciative fans by playing an intimate set at Vicar Street last year.

His concert at the O2 will be an altogether bigger affair, however. Tickets cost from €54.65 to €116 and will go on sale next Thursday.

My Daughter was born to "you can call me Al", they had a westlife album on but I freaked out and tried to get out of the hospital. By the time I was calmed down and they'd changed the music it was too late for pain relief. I have a love/hate relationship with Graceland now.

My Daughter was born to "you can call me Al", they had a westlife album on but I freaked out and tried to get out of the hospital. By the time I was calmed down and they'd changed the music it was too late for pain relief. I have a love/hate relationship with Graceland now.

Did you name her Alison by any stretch...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back