government to special children: get smart stupid!!! (1 Viewer)

wow so awesome..So his plan is to let kids with special needs fall even further behind as the class teacher doesn't have enough time to deal with them on a 1 to 1 basis cos her class size had doubled cos the schools funding has been cut. Wow..ingenious...I absolutely hate Batt O'Keefe.

And they're talking about lowering the minimum wage.

There'll be blood on the streets.

at risk of being kicked, i thought i'd look up what actually defines mild general learning disabilty:

from scoilnet:

Q. What are some characteristics of a mild general learning disability?
A. One of the most common learning characteristics of children with mild general learning disabilities is that they have difficulty mastering academic content. In addition, these students frequently have difficulty with social behaviours and in finding appropriate work once their formal education is completed. Often individuals with MLD will display one or more of the following characteristics:

• Delayed conceptual development
  • Limited ability to abstract and generalise
  • Difficulties with memory
  • Slow speech and language development
  • Limited social skills
  • Inappropriate or immature personal behaviour
  • Limited attention span and poor retention ability
  • Decreased motivation
  • Poor self-concept
  • Low self-esteem
  • General clumsiness
  • Lack of coordination and of gross and fine motor skills
  • Emotional disturbance
  • A minority may also have varying degrees of hearing or visual impairment
a lot of those apply to my present day self.

apparently it's going to save around seven million a year? doesn't seem like much of a worthwhile cash bonus in the face of fucking up loads of kids' educations/lives. or maybe that's its own reward? fianna fucking FAIL.

at risk of being kicked, i thought i'd look up what actually defines mild general learning disabilty:

from scoilnet:

Q. What are some characteristics of a mild general learning disability?
A. One of the most common learning characteristics of children with mild general learning disabilities is that they have difficulty mastering academic content. In addition, these students frequently have difficulty with social behaviours and in finding appropriate work once their formal education is completed. Often individuals with MLD will display one or more of the following characteristics:

• Delayed conceptual development
  • Limited ability to abstract and generalise
  • Difficulties with memory
  • Slow speech and language development
  • Limited social skills
  • Inappropriate or immature personal behaviour
  • Limited attention span and poor retention ability
  • Decreased motivation
  • Poor self-concept
  • Low self-esteem
  • General clumsiness
  • Lack of coordination and of gross and fine motor skills
  • Emotional disturbance
  • A minority may also have varying degrees of hearing or visual impairment
a lot of those apply to my present day self.

yeah. my boss and i were looking up criteria for a diagnosis of asperger's today, we had the same feeling about ourselves regarding some of the stuff
apart from all that stuff above, a diagnosis of mild general learning disability is typically only made if a child has an IQ less than 70.
the most shocking thing about these cuts is that its just been sprung on people. there couldve/shouldve been some collaboration between the government and schools. spose that kinda thinking is outta the question really. as for having access to sna's, theyre thin enough on the ground as it is. fucking joke.

while a lot of the symptoms or signs might be applicable to us now, try attempting to get to grips with it while trying to learn basic facts and skills. That's what so heartbreaking about it. Plus having 1 or more children in the class that display this traits and trying to organise testing or even just getting them to pay attention is another matter altogether...Money may be saved but childrens lives are effectively being written off. pricks.

yeah. i was thinking as well if there are less special needs classes, the ones that remain will prob end up taking more kids, which would be crap for kids maybe having to change schools and stuff. also as class sizes get bigger the kids get less individual attention etc. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back