Google Music (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 37
  • Views 3K
  • Watchers 3
I use something called GoneMad Music player on my phone when not using Spotify. I honestly can't remember why, I know I tried out a few (had something called "cloudskipper" for a while) and this worked best for the auld mp3s.

I've paid for and used Google Play Music for a couple of years since getting a 3 month trial on a Chromecast at some stage. I really like it, it done the trick perfectly. I had previously uploaded about 150GB of tunes to the free tier. This has actually come across to YouTube Music now I have migrated. Youtube Music is feeling like a major step backwards as I don't want to watch K-pop videos and I actually like to listen to whole albums most of the time

I'm kinda taking this as the manifestation of some long drawn out battle of EGOs.

Google has too much money so they don't have look at as 'ohhh lets burn a load of customers who are happy' because fuckit we just innovate AF.

If they were a startup they'd never do this, it'd be just killing business for no reason.

So deducing its a tale of golf courses and yachts and egos.

Huh? So far YM seems like GM with a dark theme, and the library is a little less manageable - it was easier to scroll through the entire list of artists and albums in the white and orange app.

It's the theatre of the workplace @ann post In the tech world you gain status (and therefore money and career opportunities) by being involved in delivering stuff that's publicly visible. There's all kinds of political machinations going on inside big tech organisations where lower-downs are competing for higher-ups' attention to get approval for projects, and the whims of the higher-ups determines whether your project goes ahead, whether it's a good idea or not. There's no incentive for the end product to be better than the thing it's replacing - the public is not your audience, your audience is your level+1 who will promote you or give you a raise or poach you for their company (and their only incentive in turn is pleasing their audience)

It's the theatre of the workplace @ann post In the tech world you gain status (and therefore money and career opportunities) by being involved in delivering stuff that's publicly visible. There's all kinds of political machinations going on inside big tech organisations where lower-downs are competing for higher-ups' attention to get approval for projects, and the whims of the higher-ups determines whether your project goes ahead, whether it's a good idea or not. There's no incentive for the end product to be better than the thing it's replacing - the public is not your audience, your audience is your level+1 who will promote you or give you a raise or poach you for their company (and their only incentive in turn is pleasing their audience)
It's a sick symptom of the world we currently live in. There's no longer any such thing as leaving something that works alone. Especially if you work in tech you have to be constantly 'innovating' or at least renovating. I see it in my job all the time. A manager wants to redesign a whole application because they want to talk about it the next time they go for interview. 9 times out of 10 the end users hate it and the developers are caught in the middle.

Every company, and every government department constantly getting in consultants, is stuck in several multi-level marketing schemes. The amazing thing is everyone knows this but they aren't allowed admit it because then it would all collapse on them, and they haven't got return on whatever scam they're selling to the next in line yet.

Corporate culture in a nutshell

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It's a sick symptom of the world we currently live in. There's no longer any such thing as leaving something that works alone. Especially if you work in tech you have to be constantly 'innovating' or at least renovating. I see it in my job all the time. A manager wants to redesign a whole application because they want to talk about it the next time they go for interview. 9 times out of 10 the end users hate it and the developers are caught in the middle.

During the stint in which I worked for Amazon, one day one of the tech bros somewhere in America decided to 'streamline' the whole customer service system they had, by adding 'easy to access' tabs that would actually hide all the information you'd be looking for to help a customer out. This was 'rolled out' companywide without any actual consultation with the support staff, but obviously some higher up suit must have okayed it.
So you'd load up a customer's account, and instead of all the info you wanted being right there in front of you, you'd have to individually click about 6 tabs to see the stuff you needed.
Within 24 hours, pretty much every single person working customer support around the world for Amazon had logged complaints against the new system, because it was fucking stupid. 24 hours later, the whole thing was 'rolled back' to the previous design, which worked fine anyway.
I spent the whole time thinking "Somebody's actually getting paid a lot of money to come up with this total shit"

Amazon was hiring people to work on their customer service system only recently (since lockdown started) so maybe they're re-doing it again. If it's any consolation it has a reputation for being an awful place to work as a tech bro too (though obvs it pays well)

I'm currently helping design a marketing campaign for a tech product that is basically a shiny surface on top of all the unconnected programs underneath - we have to sell it as a product that connects them all but we're not actually allowed say it does that because it doesn't - it's really just a menu of what amounts to hyperlinks.

lol, everyone is scamming everyone in this industry, it's hilarious.

During the stint in which I worked for Amazon, one day one of the tech bros somewhere in America decided to 'streamline' the whole customer service system they had, by adding 'easy to access' tabs that would actually hide all the information you'd be looking for to help a customer out. This was 'rolled out' companywide without any actual consultation with the support staff, but obviously some higher up suit must have okayed it.
So you'd load up a customer's account, and instead of all the info you wanted being right there in front of you, you'd have to individually click about 6 tabs to see the stuff you needed.
Within 24 hours, pretty much every single person working customer support around the world for Amazon had logged complaints against the new system, because it was fucking stupid. 24 hours later, the whole thing was 'rolled back' to the previous design, which worked fine anyway.
I spent the whole time thinking "Somebody's actually getting paid a lot of money to come up with this total shit"
Yeah absolute classic. Happens all the time. The ironic thing with Amazon (as much as I hate them) is that they have a great website that is intuitive and user-friendly and it's probably half the reason the company is as big as it is; yet they still have some hack terrorizing the internal staff.

It appears youtube music now works with a Sonos otherwise I'd be properly fucked. Or do you need premium for that as well?

The dept I work at uses an ancient system (looks like the 90s) that more or less works. Apparently the support bill got too high years ago and the dept just said "we're grand" and stopped paying for support and updates. As much as the system sucks I have to respect their decision on that one.

The dept I work at uses an ancient system (looks like the 90s) that more or less works. Apparently the support bill got too high years ago and the dept just said "we're grand" and stopped paying for support and updates. As much as the system sucks I have to respect their decision on that one.
Yeah the flipside is these types of systems where the technology is no longer supported and they're usually pieces of shit but it's so embedded and uses are so tied to it that is an absolute ballache to get them to use something else even if it's way better.

I mean for India, sure
They pay pretty well if you're a tech bro, though in fairness it's probably just whatever the market rate is (or maybe a little less cos so many people want to work there). Working in AWS for a few years is a pretty good bet for a big bucks consultancy career afterwards though if that tickles your fancy

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back