good songs ruined by crap production (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter MrT
  • Start date
  • Replies 55
  • Views 4K
  • Watchers 5
As already said, Let it Be by Phil Spector.

I'm reading Tearing Down The Wall of Sound, the new Spector biog, at the mo, still in the early years but apparently it makes a good case for saying Let It Be was a piece of shit and Phil pasted it together from hours of rehersal tapes and jams... as I said not got there yet, but I'm quite curious to read "his" side of the story

All of The Downward Road by The Pursuit Of Happiness. Produced by Ed Statuim (sp?). Total mismatch. I doubt anyone here knows what i'm talking about so I'll describe. Imagine some good time pop rock (like the lemonheads or something) with the EXACT same sound as Living Colour's first album (the one with Cult Of Personality on it). Same guitar sound, same drum sound, everything.

Good songs/crap production?
So many examples of this in the 80's
I'm sure some people would disagree its even a good song but I think
Mad World by Tears for fears is a good example.
As is a lot of early prince.
Anyone think of any more?

HAVE to scooch to the end here

You are wrong about early Prince. His production in the eighties was pioneering and amazing. An album like Parade is still incredible and stands head and sholders over anything released today.
It all kind of took a dramatic turn when he got interested in digital round about 93 ish and some of those recordings for the rest of the nintees are painful to listen to. Overproduced to fuck.

Leave 80's Prince out of this.

what pixies stuff?
the production on sufer rosa/come on pilgrim and doolittle is near perfect.
trompe le monde is totally overdone though.

Yes to surfer rosa/come on pilgrim. especially surfer rosa. No to doolittle. Don't really like the production on it.

The arrangement on 'A man needs a maid' by Niall Óg is awful - way overblown. I used to be in a band with a girl who was asked to sing that song at a wedding - imagine a guy saying to his new wife that he married her because he needs a maid?

its ok but has a very light, seperated & clean sound....particularly if you hear the live versions of those tracks. they werent done justice by the production at all, landaus first attempt. IMHO

surely the live versions were heavier, but I think that Back in the USA is a pop record, and it's a sprightly one at that. American Ruse sounds fuckin poptastic! But I likes the rock too, and I guess that's what they were renowned for, so I see your point.

imagine a guy saying to his new wife that he married her because he needs a maid?

Yep, and Neill Young has no excuse either.

I'm reading Tearing Down The Wall of Sound, the new Spector biog, at the mo, still in the early years but apparently it makes a good case for saying Let It Be was a piece of shit and Phil pasted it together from hours of rehersal tapes and jams... as I said not got there yet, but I'm quite curious to read "his" side of the story

well a typical Spector quote goes like this

"You don't tell Shakespeare what plays to write, or how to write them. You don't tell Mozart what operas to write, or how to write them. And you certainly don't tell Phil Spector what songs to write or how to write them; or what records to produce and how to produce them."

so eh, he probably thinks it's deadly.

surely the live versions were heavier, but I think that Back in the USA is a pop record, and it's a sprightly one at that. American Ruse sounds fuckin poptastic! But I likes the rock too, and I guess that's what they were renowned for, so I see your point.

it does have the best guitar solo ever though in 'looking at you' .|..|

All of And Justice For All by Metallica. The lack of bass kinda ruins it.

hmmmm for all its flaws I kinda like And Justice For All, It's one of a very few albums I can listen to right through (apart maybe from Harvester of Sorrow). Better the way it is then if they had got some fancy dan producer in to make it squeaky clean. I don't think its work thinking about the consequences if something like that happened to metallica.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back