good night, and good luck (1 Viewer)

Damon_Kind said:
Agreed and then some. Did anyone else think that Ray Wise as Dan Hollenback was fucking brilliant? Like seriously fucking brilliant.

he was good alright. but strathairn and clooney did it for me.

Damon_Kind said:
Clooney is fast becoming my dream guy. And i'm a man. Its a very frightening time.

he's a talented boy. confessions of a dangerous mind was also very good. can he do no wrong?

good night and good luck didn't really do it for me. perhaps i was sitting too close to the screen but it lacked tension and depth, and no matter how hard i tried, i couldn't help feel i was watching george clooney being george clooney and david strathairn smoking cigarettes.
and can anyone explain to me why we had an annoying side-story with [edit] and [edit] [edit] their [edit]?

tell ya what, it was no capote.

edit: SPOILERS, DUDE

oh shit said:
good night and good luck didn't really do it for me. perhaps i was sitting too close to the screen but it lacked tension and depth, and no matter how hard i tried, i couldn't help feel i was watching george clooney being george clooney and david strathairn smoking cigarettes.
and can anyone explain to me why we had an annoying side-story with [edit] and [edit] [edit] their [edit]?

tell ya what, it was no capote.

edit: SPOILERS, DUDE

i enjoyed the snappy dialogue and i thought the characters were really likeable and it looked really stylish.

oh shit said:

edited out your SPOILERS there, dude...

Anyway I think it was there for a few reasons. It adds some 1950's America context, and seeing as how the movie is based on actual events, it's in the film as an interesting story on its own merits (much like Don Hollenback). But I think the main reason it's there is because it parallels one of the themes of the film - how many compromises will you make in order to achieve your goals? It's like how Murrow had to agree to keep doing those inane Person to Person interviews so he could keep doing See It Now... It's also quite hard to discuss without directly referring to it.

oh shit said:
i see your point,
sorry about the spoilers, it didn't occur to me that it would spoil anything though.
in fairness it probably wouldn't, but i'm very fussy about that shit

Ironically i found the most 'gripping' part of the movie to be the real 4min excerpt from the interrogation of the black woman, when McCarthy hit the bricks after 7 questions, and the subsequent arguments.

But then Clooney can't really take the credit for that now can he?

Damon_Kind said:
Ironically i found the most 'gripping' part of the movie to be the real 4min excerpt from the interrogation of the black woman, when McCarthy hit the bricks after 7 questions, and the subsequent arguments.

But then Clooney can't really take the credit for that now can he?

He could have simply recreated the McCarthy hearings with Bob Hoskins playing McCarthy and been really OTT.

He can be given credit for using real footage from the time and not over-dramatising what actually happened, no?

i love love loved it..as i said in the 'what movie did you...' thread i am fast falling in love with george clooney..and i dont even think hes hot..hes just so so bloody talented...apparently on the test screenings the only problem they audience complained of was that mc carthy was over acted..the peeps then had to explain that it was actual footage:)

Yeah this film is amazing. Who would have thought that someone starting out playing the supposed heart-throb doctor on ER would go on and play fucking great parts and make such fucking great films!

x-batman-et-robin-cc1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back