going camping appreciation thread (1 Viewer)

La La

i drink your milkshake
inspired by charlie bucket's reflections on camp scout food.

what was the best camping trip you ever went on?

i've gone so many times in different places and all have been so much fun. one weekend in glendalough was particularly good.

here's to pitchin' tents, buildin' forts, and cookin' up some grub around a fire.

and drinking loads and havin' a laugh and waking up with a twisted spine but not caring :)

yeeha!

camping is cool!

I havent done a huge amount of it but the best holiday ive been on was a 3-week camping/road trip around usa - montana, wyoming, south dakota area. was deadly, the whole lot of it, particularly in montana. one of the places we camped was by a lake at glacier national park and we went out canoeing one night under a lovely big full moon. theres was bears around. i seem to recall that most of our attempts to sit up boozing by the fire were scuppered by wreckedness. i went camping on the isles of scilly too - that was cool also.

Love it love it. There's a spot we go to up past enniskerry. Got to cross a fucking river by climbing trees to get to it, and therefore nearly impossible with 24 Dutchie strapped to your back. I said 'nearly'.

Mmmm, going for firewood.
Mmmm, nighttime.
Mmmm, trying to make tea with bits of wood and skin in it.
Mmmmmmmm.

yeah it's the best. shaney your glacier trip has made me jealous! musta been amazing.

im definitely gonna go when im home. too good a buzz to miss out on. :)

Amazing except for when there's thunder storms and lashing rain - as experienced by the loved one and myself last Friday and Saturday.

Ah camping, every year of my childhood there was a trip to some field somewhere. Rats outside the tent, deer chomping the morning grass, rain, digging trenchs at 4am, squirrels, hiking to find the nearest shop, cooking everything on a fire, doing the wee-dance 'cos you can't be arsed going out in the dark to find the toilets, all good.

The very first time I slept in a tent was GGI in 2004, I was the grand ole' age of 40!
This year in Belfast was my 1st ever time to sleep in a hostel!

I never went camping with scouts or shite like that. When I think of camping I think of waking up in the middle of the night freezing and then that morning waking up with a bad hangovers in a heat worse than a glass house.

But of course that shite doesnt put me off... Right laugh like.

The first time I ever went camping was when I was aboout 23 with three other lads and it ended in mass nudity so it was great !!

That said going to Benicassim this year put me off camping for life, the 35+ degree heat meant that it was like slleping up in a pressure cooker. Waking up at 08.30, fucking roasting inside and warmer outside was the ritual of every morning...

doing the wee-dance 'cos you can't be arsed going out in the dark to find the toilets, all good.
tis well I know that. or waking up absolutely bursting and it's raining outside and you have to put your shoes on and tie the laces, but first you have to get over being so fucked that you can't find the side you get out. it all looks the same!!

when i went to Redcross with the cubs we had fried egg sandwhiches for breakfast everyday. Because I never ate mine the leaders would be really mean to me. The boy who's whole faced scrunched up when he blinked which was every second and never stopped whining fell into a river and it was the funniest thing i've ever seen.

Ah camping, every year of my childhood there was a trip to some field somewhere. Rats outside the tent, deer chomping the morning grass, rain, digging trenchs at 4am, squirrels, hiking to find the nearest shop, cooking everything on a fire, doing the wee-dance 'cos you can't be arsed going out in the dark to find the toilets, all good.
monty02.jpg

Used to go camping fairly regularly when I was living in Canada.

Once went to an area called the Similkameen in British Columbia during a bank holiday. It was packed but because we got there first we got the best spot in the small camp. Other people arrived scowling at us and we were delighted. So we stayed up late that night, got fucked up on vodka and tang and then sang sinatra tunes as loudly as possible. Then passed out.

Was a great trip. We were hungover to hell the next day but enjoyed seeing elk in the river. Saw a fox too.

Now I'm feeling all maudlin and patriotic.

Oh canada...la la la la la LAAAHHHHH....

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back