Gluten Free Tips (1 Viewer)

we have had gluten intolerant folks stay from europe with us who bring their own brioche, ciabatta and biscotti things that actually look nice. Sorry to have no further info other than to confirm they exist :-(. I don't think anything in tesco that is specifically gluten free looks edible.

I have made falafel, meat & two veg and stews/casseroles thickened with kuzu (japanese arrowroot that replaces cornflour)for gluten phobics before that were all well received .

FWIW I thinks it's all a bit dubious. I used to get fed up with yanks shiteing on about their 'allergies', you don't hear that so much now, and why do these afflictions almost exclusively strike down women in the 15-34 demographic?

Yeah, I have and they're pretty rank. The rice based 'pasta' is better than the corn but not by much. The bread I've found thus far is only okay and has to be toasted not to taste like cardboard. Fresh bakery breads seem to fall apart and taste too sweet for savoury sandwiches. Where did you find these ciabattas? I bought a bunch of different flours and am going to try to make some flat breads. It's next on my list of things to do.

Did you try buckwheat pasta? It's firmer than rice and corn, it's not exactly the same as normal pasta but it tastes grand. Orgran do that pasta. They also do really nice falafel mixes.
And their chocolate biscotti are really nice.

I can't remember the name of the ciabatta, sorry! They're not tesco own-brand, they're in a cream packet and they're part-baked. I was really surprised at how nice they were. It seems that the rolls/baps etc are nicer than loaves of bread, probably because there's more crust? I've only tried a few ranges though.

tommytrousers - I think cornstarch is gluten free anyway? But kuzu is cool, you can make kanten out of it, really want to try that.
People wank on about young women pretending to have intolerances because they want to lose weight, which is really bloody annoying. Sure, some people might avoid certain things because they make them feel crap or bloated, but a lot of people feel genuinely shite when they eat certain foods. Loads of people feel like crap when they eat dairy. There are are a lot of people who believe we shouldn't even be eating dairy, for example.

It may be that women of a certain age are very interested in this because they are very aware of their health and in tune with how they feel after eating certain foods. Just because we're told a certain way of eating is good for us, it doesn't mean it suits everyone. Some people don't realise you shouldn't feel bloated after eating lots of foods, or have uncomfortable, erm 'toilet habits', etc. When you see how much better you feel when eat more of certain foods or less of others, you don't want to change back.

FWIW I thinks it's all a bit dubious. I used to get fed up with yanks shiteing on about their 'allergies', you don't hear that so much now, and why do these afflictions almost exclusively strike down women in the 15-34 demographic?

I normally would have been the same as you. Giving out about people claiming something was wrong with them. Or saying they are allergic to things just because they don't like them. I can tell you this, I love bread and I love baking. I'm not happy about this one bit. I'm actually rather annoyed especially since I've been in and out of doctors for years now with no explanation to why things are wrong, rather 'just take this pill' for the symptoms since they don't know the cause. Here I was eating all healthy with lots of whole grain foods not understanding most were making me sick. The difference is seriously undescribable and I feel like a different person. It has nothing to do with my weight or dieting at all. Perhaps more people are finding out because it's in the news more these days? I never would have thought it was the root of some medical issues for me at all until recently reading about it. I'm actually shocked no doctor ever questioned it but then again, doctors rarely ask about diet unless you are noticeably overweight.

I normally would have been the same as you. Giving out about people claiming something was wrong with them. Or saying they are allergic to things just because they don't like them. I can tell you this, I love bread and I love baking. I'm not happy about this one bit. I'm actually rather annoyed especially since I've been in and out of doctors for years now with no explanation to why things are wrong, rather 'just take this pill' for the symptoms since they don't know the cause. Here I was eating all healthy with lots of whole grain foods not understanding most were making me sick. The difference is seriously undescribable and I feel like a different person. It has nothing to do with my weight or dieting at all. Perhaps more people are finding out because it's in the news more these days? I never would have thought it was the root of some medical issues for me at all until recently reading about it. I'm actually shocked no doctor ever questioned it but then again, doctors rarely ask about diet unless you are noticeably overweight.

Aye, fair enough. If I ever get around to giving up my other vices and still feel shite I'll check it out. The thought of never having a decent lager again would kill me.

Aye, fair enough. If I ever get around to giving up my other vices and still feel shite I'll check it out. The thought of never having a decent lager again would kill me.

Oddly, that's the only semi-good outcome thus far. Normally, I would have two pints and start to feel really sick. I always drank beer because I never wanted to be the chick with the white wine at a pub. I would get headaches and actually get sick without drinking all that much. I switched to cider. I was never really a cider fan but I'm developing a taste for it slowly. At least it's cold and comes with ice. The fruit versions taste like awful wine coolers (plus a bit too sweet) but the original isn't too bad. I can drink these like there is no tomorrow without feeling ill. I foresee this turning into a bad thing soon.

Perhaps more people are finding out because it's in the news more these days? I never would have thought it was the root of some medical issues for me at all until recently reading about it. I'm actually shocked no doctor ever questioned it but then again, doctors rarely ask about diet unless you are noticeably overweight.
There are probably hundreds upon hundreds of people who are coeliac and don't know it - reading forums etc it seems that doctors never actually suggest people get tested for it, they've had to ask.
Did you say to your doctor that you think you're allergic or intolerant?

I get crappy skin reactions to various things and they tend to get better when I go without gluten, but my doctor just gave me a steroid cream and practically laughed at the idea of an allergy test. Wonderful!

If you're not coeliac you can be gluten intolerant, but it seems like most people have to just decide that themselves, there doesn't seem to be a test for it - rather, you get a negative result on a coeliac test but know you react to gluten, so you're stuck in this in-between area.

The Irish health system is so frustrating - they'd rather give you a prescription than ask about diet or lifestyle, both of which have a HUGE impact on your health. [/endrant]

The Irish health system is so frustrating - they'd rather give you a prescription than ask about diet or lifestyle, both of which have a HUGE impact on your health. [/endrant]

That's everywhere. No one suggested it in the states before I moved after several doctors visits and scopes. From a talk with my GP (currently looking for a new one) I would have to have a normal gluten diet for 8 weeks prior to the test to get an accurate result. No way I'm doing that. No way in hell. The only benefit I can see from being diagnosed is a tax break on buying gluten free food. Not worth the 8 weeks in my book. Eat/drink things that have gluten and feel sick. Don't and feel good. Seems simple enough for me even though it sucks.

One of the lads in work is coeliac and mentioned the following..

1. Estrella Damm Daura:
Awarded “Best Gluten Free Beer” at the World Beer Awards for the last two years running.
Daura is now listed in some of the main retailers in the country, including Dunnes Stores and Superquinn and recently Super Valu. Also available in Cafe en Seine!

2. Beshoff Fish n Chips
Provide Gluten-Free, Wheat-Free fish and chips in in Mespil Road (Sat & Sun from 12pm to 8pm) which continues to be hugely popular. They are continuing to expand and review the already extensive menu available to coeliacs at weekends.

You can sign up for e-mail updates/ Food Lists/ Events/ Recipes etc at www.coeliac.ie

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back